Ohh dear.. please help :( (1 Viewer)

Chromatic

Banned
HSC
N/A
Well, 90% of you will be happy about this im sure, but today I had a rather unfortunate incident, and I really need your help.

What do I mean by incident? A minor crash, but nonetheless, a painful one to have in the first 3 weeks of provisional driving in a Merc. In fact, the crash wasnt my fault in any way (I... think?!?!) and I couldnt've done anything to avoid it...

Well... heres what happened:

So, I'm teh blue car. I'm driving straight on a road at 50km/h, which is the speed limit there. Im relaxing, looking straight, not doing anything wrong, just listening to music and trying to get home. Well as you can see in the next image of the blue car...

The "moron" in the red car opens his door as soon as i drive past him, and almost completely knocks off my left wing mirror. The glass itself is broken. So what happens next?

I do a U-turn, get out of the car, and absolutely unleash at him (can you blame me?). I ask him if he is "f****ing retarded", and promise him that he will pay every cent of damage to my merc.

He claims its "MY FAULT" because I was driving too fast and he didnt see me when he looked back. I never realised doing 50 in a 50 km/h zone was too fast.

He promises me that he will call the cops just before I drive off. So... yeah...

Now I'm insured and all, but I dont really need this stress at this point in my life. This guy calls me later and tells me that he is agreeing to pay the money for the glass itself for my left wing mirror. I agree, and promise him not to pay insurance to sort it out. So..... I need help with the mirror itself, these are my questions:

1) How much would a MIRROR (the glass itself) for a Merc C180K cost for a wing mirror cost do you think?
2) Where can I get a replacement mirror from? Do I have to go to service/parts?

And lastly...

3) Am i doing the right thing by just letting him off by just buying me a new glass for the left wing mirror? My car also got a few minor scratches from the hit, however they are almost unnoticable. I dont know if its worth having insurance involved here, but I would appreciate suggestions.

Thanks for reading... :)

p.s. If you're going to flame, then I just have no words!

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Is it literally just the glass that's damaged or has there been any damage to the casing or electric motors behind the mirror? Take a photo or something.

If it were me I'd just be calling MB up and asking them for a price quote for replacing the entire mirror module on the passenger side including labour. Last thing you want is to agree to a low settlement amount thinking it's just the mirror glass which is broken when there's more to it than that.

Chromatic

Banned
HSC
N/A
Is it literally just the glass that's damaged or has there been any damage to the casing or electric motors behind the mirror? Take a photo or something.

If it were me I'd just be calling MB up and asking them for a price quote for replacing the entire mirror module on the passenger side including labour. Last thing you want is to agree to a low settlement amount thinking it's just the mirror glass which is broken when there's more to it than that.
I would've thought there would be, but turns out there wasnt. Heres a pic, pretty nasty at first:

But in the end, I managed to put the thing completely back into place after 1 hour of trying. The electric mirror works, and so does the indicator, and there are only a few minor scratches. The mirror itself? Dead :(

And yea, Im pretty sure Mercedes is closed on Sundays, but im gonna try and call them up as soon as possible and ask how much it is before demanding money from the guy.

super.muppy

HSC
lolol completely not your fault as described there LOL other guy was trying to shift the blame thinking that ur young and naive.

61st of April

HSC
I think your best bet is a wreckers. Parts are cheaper there and if all you're after is the glass, then that's the first place I'd try. Of course it depends on the exact vehicles a wrecker has in their yard and so you may need to contact a couple of them, but the fact it's a 180 Kompressor won't matter - just a C-class, between the years of 2001-2005 will probably work (that's just judging by that pic, it looks alot like our C200 Kompressor and it's a 2002 but they get facelifted all the time so whatever year range yours falls in is the one you're after :))

If that fails then off to MB I guess, but that will be astronomically more expensive

Chromatic

Banned
HSC
N/A
I think your best bet is a wreckers. Parts are cheaper there and if all you're after is the glass, then that's the first place I'd try. Of course it depends on the exact vehicles a wrecker has in their yard and so you may need to contact a couple of them, but the fact it's a 180 Kompressor won't matter - just a C-class, between the years of 2001-2005 will probably work (that's just judging by that pic, it looks alot like our C200 Kompressor and it's a 2002 but they get facelifted all the time so whatever year range yours falls in is the one you're after :))

If that fails then off to MB I guess, but that will be astronomically more expensive
LOL he is going to pay every cent for it, or I'm going to get insurance involved, and get his arab a$$ so hard that he is going to be struggling to buy curry for the next few weeks. :)

I'm going to go to MB tomorrow and maybe get a replacement for the whole mirror since there are a lot of scratches for it. :D Wish me luck...

hungwell1337

HSC
N/A
erm... its a mirror on a c180, its not going to be expensive to replace.

and lol, you drive a c180, i hope it is the sedan, coz the coupe version is perhaps one of the ugliest cars around

Chromatic

Banned
HSC
N/A
erm... its a mirror on a c180, its not going to be expensive to replace.

and lol, you drive a c180, i hope it is the sedan, coz the coupe version is perhaps one of the ugliest cars around
$210 to replace :) Not as much as I thought... and yeah I drive a Sedan

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
$210 sounds oddly cheap. I'm guessing it's literally for just the glass alone including fitment?

Honestly though if it were me and my mirror got totally knocked off, I'd be getting a new one.

Chromatic

Banned
HSC
N/A
$210 sounds oddly cheap. I'm guessing it's literally for just the glass alone including fitment?

Honestly though if it were me and my mirror got totally knocked off, I'd be getting a new one.
$210 for just the glass, including the electric things behind it. For the other damage (the blinker) its $85, so hes going to be paying $295 to me today.

mirakon

nigga
HSC
its other guys fault pretty obviously but even then to avoid this situation in the future, might as well drive slightly slower in streets with parked cars on either side and not a lotta room.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
$210 for just the glass, including the electric things behind it. For the other damage (the blinker) its $85, so hes going to be paying $295 to me today.
Did you factor in labour charges of getting it installed?

IMO don't know why you are absorbing the risks/costs for him. Would've budgeted a bit extra for that.

Chromatic

Banned
HSC
N/A

IMO don't know why you are absorbing the risks/costs for him. Would've budgeted a bit extra for that.
Because I dont want him to go to insurance, screw that! We both need to pay $700 to get them involved, plus an extra $600 since we are under 25. Not worth it unfortunately, but I would love to make him pay for every scratch. :(

Chromatic

Banned
HSC
N/A

Actually, scrap that, he wants to make a claim for fixing his door. What does that even mean?!?! Plz help

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
are you insured? fork out the excess and get them to deal with it, you'll get it back. There's absolutely no way he can spin that as your fault, by law a person opening the door of a vehicle is required to look out for and give way to any pedestrian or vehicle their door might hit.

Source: Rule 269(c)

Road Rules 2008
Current version for 16 July 2010 to date (accessed 19 July 2010 at 19:27)

Go and make a police report (take 3 of his points for being such a wanker), send him a letter of demand with that excerpt attached, buy me a case of beer

Chromatic

Banned
HSC
N/A
are you insured? fork out the excess and get them to deal with it, you'll get it back. There's absolutely no way he can spin that as your fault, by law a person opening the door of a vehicle is required to look out for and give way to any pedestrian or vehicle their door might hit.

Source: Rule 269(c)

Road Rules 2008
Current version for 16 July 2010 to date (accessed 19 July 2010 at 19:27)

Go and make a police report (take 3 of his points for being such a wanker), send him a letter of demand with that excerpt attached, buy me a case of beer
Yeah I'm insured. I'm calling insurance tomorrow and am going to get it sorted out. He is so convinced that it was my fault that he refuses to pay $295 and thinks a claim is going to make me pay for his door (I lol'd when he told me). Oh well, I'll sort it out first thing tomorrow...

Chromatic

Banned
HSC
N/A
Just an update for anyone who is interested:

I called insurance, they're going to sort it out and its 100% his fault. Man I feel better :) Ty everyone.

L

quit bos forever 23/01/07
Under the Tuscan Sun, as per usual, fuckan tearin
HSC
N/A
Well, 90% of you will be happy about this im sure, but today I had a rather unfortunate incident, and I really need your help.

What do I mean by incident? A minor crash, but nonetheless, a painful one to have in the first 3 weeks of provisional driving in a Merc. In fact, the crash wasnt my fault in any way (I... think?!?!) and I couldnt've done anything to avoid it...

Well... heres what happened:

So, I'm teh blue car. I'm driving straight on a road at 50km/h, which is the speed limit there. Im relaxing, looking straight, not doing anything wrong, just listening to music and trying to get home. Well as you can see in the next image of the blue car...

The "moron" in the red car opens his door as soon as i drive past him, and almost completely knocks off my left wing mirror. The glass itself is broken. So what happens next?

I do a U-turn, get out of the car, and absolutely unleash at him (can you blame me?). I ask him if he is "f****ing retarded", and promise him that he will pay every cent of damage to my merc.

He claims its "MY FAULT" because I was driving too fast and he didnt see me when he looked back. I never realised doing 50 in a 50 km/h zone was too fast.

He promises me that he will call the cops just before I drive off. So... yeah...

Now I'm insured and all, but I dont really need this stress at this point in my life. This guy calls me later and tells me that he is agreeing to pay the money for the glass itself for my left wing mirror. I agree, and promise him not to pay insurance to sort it out. So..... I need help with the mirror itself, these are my questions:

1) How much would a MIRROR (the glass itself) for a Merc C180K cost for a wing mirror cost do you think?

And lastly...

3) Am i doing the right thing by just letting him off by just buying me a new glass for the left wing mirror? My car also got a few minor scratches from the hit, however they are almost unnoticable. I dont know if its worth having insurance involved here, but I would appreciate suggestions.

Thanks for reading... :)

p.s. If you're going to flame, then I just have no words!
hahaha, fuck.

fucking owned you asian/woman driver.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)