• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Ok common question but wayyy too much conflicting information (1 Viewer)

emilios

HSC
First and foremost I'd preferably like this q to be answered by and older BOS'er (i.e. pre 2014 graduate).

So let's say I'm coming 2nd in English right, and the person who beat me did so by something minuscule; I got 93.4% and they got 93.5% which rounded up to 94%. Sucks to be me right.

Anyway let's say I pull an external mark of 95 and the next highest mark is like a 90. So we all know everyone keeps their own external marks, and the other dude will get 95 as his internal mark. BUT; what will my internal be? Will it be 90 or will it be moderated up because the gap in our marks is so small?

Some people have told me mark differentials don't matter and I'll basically be stuck with a 90 for my internal, while others tell me differentials DO matter.

So much contrary information. D94 halp?

D94

HSC
N/A
Your internal will be close to 95. Gap sizes are kept proportional to each other, for all ranks. The gap differences must matter because your assessment mark reflects your in-school performance.

Directly from BOSTES:
The assessment marks for each school/course group are moderated according to the same group’s examination performance. This process maintains both the rank order of students within the school group and the relative gaps between them.
http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/hsc-results/moderation.html

There's nothing special about my response or me responding - all information is available online for free!

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Also to note the amount of care BOSTES takes with this, they even use raw marks from the exam before your assessment mark is moderated.

In your situation what happens is that an appropriate separation of marks is made so you will most likely grab a few marks off people coming 3rd and below assuming that they did well in their exams but their internal assessment is far away from you. Its important to note that the marks your class gains as a cohort is what matters as in the end, the total moderated marks received as a cohort is equal to the total of all the examination marks received. However, these marks will be moderated fairly to reflect the 50% of the HSC which you have worked a full year in assessments for. To make it fair, it has to take into account difference between ranks, otherwise really you can have a poor reflection (90 and 95 are a big difference compared to 93.5 and 93.4).

To make it fair, those who slacked off all year but do well in the final exam will have a few of their assessment marks distributed out to cases like this. Really this is just one example but I hope you can paint a picture from this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)