ok i just lost all my motivation for english (1 Viewer)

Akuri

HSC
N/A
When i was picking subjects with my english teacher last year, she told me extension english was more focused on essay writing and wasnt a higher level than advanced.. Then yesterday, on here i found out that extension is the higher level.

I know this is a silly thing to worry about but all of a sudden i feel nauseous and upset? I’m wondering why i wasnt good enough to go into extension and now im terrified of my english work and i dont want to touch it.

All my teachers made it out like i was incredible and i won 2 competitions so i was starting to wonder if i was a decent writer, but as i was letting myself believe that, i suddenly feel like ive been winging it this whole time and i dont even deserve to be in advanced. One of my friends is also in extension and i cant help comparing myself.

What should i do?

Akuri

HSC
N/A
Tl;dr Do you genuinely have a passion for English? If not, I would highly suggest dropping English Extension and taking another subject that you are interested in, even if it means taking 13 units.

You sound like you're passionate about (creative?) writing (do essays have competitions for high school kids? idk tbh), but English extension is mostly about essay writing (there is one creative task though) and a complete, flourishing (?) understanding of multiple texts, such that you can spontaneously and accurately argue a viewpoint with enough evidence to back it up. It's much deeper than English advanced, and Eng ext deals with things like the psychology of characters and etc.
Sorry I should’ve been more clear, I’m in advanced and I feel inferior because I’m not in extension, which I’ve learnt is the higher one.

I can develop a passion for anything really, but an important part for me is that I’m succeeding/receiving praise/feeling like I’m acing it. Being in advanced, now finding out it’s not the best I could’ve been, makes me really ill..

I wish your school was more accommodating to your preferences though :(

Akuri

HSC
N/A
I’ve emailed my old English teacher to hopefully understand more what I’m lacking... or at least give me back confidence to do my work

Akuri

HSC
N/A
Eng ext and eng adv are very different. Although if not being in ext eng makes you feel like that, I'd give it a try. It's probably still not too late to switch subjects.

Haha it's a top 20 selective school with ~1000 students and they are geared towards maximising their band 6's to look good in the newspapers. At least it's over for me and I'm never going back there hahahaha
sorry if this is an obvious question but is extension something you do alongside an english class or is it a different class on its own? I think i will look into changing my subjects though

amen :/

ultra908

HSC
sorry if this is an obvious question but is extension something you do alongside an english class or is it a different class on its own? I think i will look into changing my subjects though

amen :/
Ye unlike maths adv and math ext which can be very integrated and built on one another, eng adv and eng ext are like two different subjects.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)