Okay. Am I wrong to ditch college for money. (1 Viewer)

heroofthehall

HSC
My Dad runs a big flooring company and I know I could be fine money wise with sticking along with Dad. But me mum wants me to go to college cause she thinks I need to wise up.

Money or education?

What should I do?:uhoh:

billbro

HSC
N/A
heroofthehall said:
My Dad runs a big flooring company and I know I could be fine money wise with sticking along with Dad. But me mum wants me to go to college cause she thinks I need to wise up.

Money or education?

Why can't you do both?

You dad owns the company, surely you can be accommodated with a part time position?

nutting

HSC
heroofthehall said:

Money or education?

Depends on what you want to study.

If you want to pursue a degree like Medicine, Law, Accounting, Computer Science , etc then I think degrre is better.

But if you wanted to study English, History, Fine Arts, Biology, Astronomy...then do your dad's business...as you'd be making more money

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
If you want to pursue a degree like Medicine, Law, Accounting, Computer Science , etc then I think a degree is better.

dion7789

Dodgy Pen Dealer
HSC
If it's your buisness couldn't you do both? Also nutting, what's wrong with biology? I'm sure that that could bring about a large sum of money, especially if you move towards fields of conservation which are rising. And I'm also quite certain that any of the other fields you have listed could bring more money then a carpeting buisness if you can achieve in the field.

Davo1111

HSC
N/A
nutting said:
Depends on what you want to study.

If you want to pursue a degree like Medicine, Law, Accounting, Computer Science , etc then I think degrre is better.

But if you wanted to study English, History, Fine Arts, Biology, Astronomy...then do your dad's business...as you'd be making more money
i agree.

If you're planning on moving on or going into the 'big wide world' with your own job (unrelated to the carpet business) then go to 'college' and get a degree. If you are thinking of getting a degree like accounting or something, then you can work part time at the carpet shop and use it for experience.

If you want to get a job like being a secretary or something like that. The carpet place could be a good starting point. but then you'll probably want to get a diploma or something - even if its part time.

Monstar

HSC
family business man.... it sounds like your setting yourself up for life.

billbro

HSC
N/A
Might help if you gave us some more insight on your situation... in the end it is still up to you to decide though.

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
Is the OP male/female and what were their university aspirations?

jest3r

HSC
Jesus was a carpenter...which I guess is a field related to the flooring company .

I'd go with the moneys at your dad's business and avoid racking up a HECS debt in the later years.

Davo1111

HSC
N/A
jest3r said:
I'd go with the moneys at your dad's business and avoid racking up a HECS debt in the later years.
a 3 year degree is like a $20,000 debt. Tbh its really not that much (think of mortgages! or loaning a car), especially considering you would [probably] get a better paid job after completing it. If the chick wants to reduce the debt, then work part time at the carpet store and pay for part of hecs that way.

goony

i am here to ride bike
HSC
BIGTYMA said:
what would jesus do?
probably get nailed to a cross and die.

OP it depends how successful the family business is and how much you're into it. Maybe get a diploma or one of those part time night courses for business at UTS or something.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)