Okay, How many P's (1 Viewer)

Tutored

Snooze Fest
HSC
This is starting to drive me insane. Why are there more than 4 P's. Okay, so, today, in business studies, we were just discussing, very briefly, the elements of the marketing process, and how the 4 P's are one part of it. Price, Place, Promotion and Product. Someone pipes up, "Excuse me sir, I do retail at TAFE, and were expected to use a 5th P - Personality" - so we discussed that for a little while. My main biff though, is how our textbook actually says to "ensure you know your 8 Ps" while only talking about four of them...whats the deal?

So today, I thought, okay, I want to know what the 8 P's are...so google is my first choice...its insane! These are just some of the words I've seen:

Personalisation, Participation, Peer-to-Peer, Predictive Modelling, Purchases, Persuasion, Passion, Paradox, Points, Prizes, Pro Bono (i'd love to read how that relates), Privileges, Presto (ditto for that one), people, physical evidence, processes, packaging, partnership, philosophy, programming...you get the idea.

Then, something even more interesting, was applying specific words to specific segmented industry - eg, 'The 8 P's of Hospitality and Travel Marketing' - As well as this, tying specific other features of business in general in to make more P's, such as goal-orientated ideas (thats where Principle came in) - Whats worse is, usually, if theres something I don't know, there are key people I can ask...this time, it appears the only thing everyone actually agrees on are the 4 P's, and yet everyone talks about how more of them exist...it would be much simpler, and is tempting, to just ignore it and claim that only 4 P's exist, however, my textbook, which is actually pretty decent, and has gone to great lengths to ensure content material is covered, refers to the existence of 8. Oh, and, before its suggested, my teacher is honestly baffled at the idea of more than 4 P's...go figure.

Simo91

HSC
Yeah I would just focus on the 4 P's. If that's all there is stated in the syllabus, then that's all you need to worry about.

I don't think I'd be in too good of a position if there were 8 P's. :S

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
They are only called the '4Ps' to make it easier to remember.
Technically they're called Marketing Strategies. I can't understand why people would argue about how many 'Ps' to remember. The syllabus states product, price, place and promotion. Just follow it and accept it.

Also to the OP, you tell that retail person that 'personality' might get you somewhere working at Sportsgirl or something, but realistically, it's not going to make THAT much of a difference in the business world.

I Study Hard

HSC
They are only called the '4Ps' to make it easier to remember.
Technically they're called Marketing Strategies. I can't understand why people would argue about how many 'Ps' to remember. The syllabus states product, price, place and promotion. Just follow it and accept it.

Also to the OP, you tell that retail person that 'personality' might get you somewhere working at Sportsgirl or something, but realistically, it's not going to make THAT much of a difference in the business world.
I think personality is important in the world of business. My mum was about to buy a brand new Merc and the sales woman walked up behind her and muttered to her "i don't think thats quite in your price range" with one of those fake smiles. We didn't end up buying the car... But, in HSC Business Studies, its not relevant at all xD @OP - Always check your syllabus, it outlines exactly what you need to know.

BUSINESSKING

HSC
Don't bother committing the concept of "4 P's" to memory; in terms of marketing strategies, you should just consider market segmentation/product differentiation, produce, price, promotion & place. No need for those ridiculous acronyms, this isn't Year 2.

rjwh31

HSC
Looking over this thread, I'd like to offer my input, even though this is 5 years old now.

For the current syllabus (which incidentally I believe is retiring at the end of this year) there are actually 7 P's to remember.

You have your basic four: price, product, promotion, and place/distribution; these are the ones that you need to know in the most detail. BUT, a syllabus dot point under Marketing Strategies is • people, processes and physical evidence

So we now actually do have 7 P's:

price
product
promotion
place
people
processes
physical evidence

When writing your section IV response, it is a good idea to actually say something along the lines of "the marketing mix, which consists of the 4/7 P's..."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)