okay, real serious question this time (1 Viewer)

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
I want to change degrees to one in another faculty, but I don't know if I have the WAM or UAI or whatever to be able to transfer. I should be right, but because I've done really bad in uni I'm a bit nervous. Is there someone I can talk to like an advisory or something to help me?

I know how to do the forms and what not to apply for a new degree through UAC and what not, but I just don't know if I should even bother in case I wont be accepted.

It's what I want that's easy. It's getting it that
HSC
maybe go to the program conveynor (sp)? when i changed (the first 2 times lol) i hadnt done any uni so they only counted my UAI, and then when i changed to biomed i only had my semester 1 results which werent bad.

Honestly, if you really want to give it a go, why not apply? i know it's not cheap but it's the only way you'll know for sure.

what degree did u want to do btw?

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
dietetic. Seriously.

The UAI for it is 88.15, which is EXACTLY what mine would have been when I left school. Im just worreid cause I've had a few F's.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
A High Way Man said:
engineering -> dietricianary? (sic)
that's the ultimate bail. the ultimate.
how about engineering -> teaching? :D

To add something useful,

They use average of your UAI and your Selection Rank, which is based on GPA, and if your UAI and the Entrance UAI were 88.15 you need to have at least a 4.5 GPA to make it.

Except the entrance marks go down every year at newcastle... and this is probably a troll :D

Last edited:

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
A High Way Man said:
engineering -> dietricianary? (sic)
that's the ultimate bail. the ultimate.
I'm sick of classes without girls.

Not really, I'm just a bit over all the maths and shit, so I'm trying out a totally different field. Also, my mum can help me with stuff in the medical science fields :)

Captain Gh3y said:
To add something useful,

They use average of your UAI and your Selection Rank, which is based on GPA, and if your UAI and the Entrance UAI were 88.15 you need to have at least a 4.5 GPA to make it.

Except the entrance marks go down every year at newcastle... and this is probably a troll :D
I might be in trouble then. How do you work out your GPA?

Also, my UAI wasn't 88.15, it was 84.15, but I had 4 dumb/country school marks, so I could've gotten into a course at 88.15

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
jumb said:
I'm sick of classes without girls.

Not really, I'm just a bit over all the maths and shit, so I'm trying out a totally different field. Also, my mum can help me with stuff in the medical science fields :)

I might be in trouble then. How do you work out your GPA?

Also, my UAI wasn't 88.15, it was 84.15, but I had 4 dumb/country school marks, so I could've gotten into a course at 88.15
GPA is the weighted average measurement of your university grades. It would be unfair to simply average your grades without giving weight to their credit values (so say you got High Distinction in a 2cp subject, but got a Credit in a 10cp subject, it would be hardly fair to say you got a Distinction average).

So, how do we calculate GPA?

First, write down the marks and credit point values of each subject you do.

Then convert each mark into a grade. Usually this is done by working out which bracket your mark falls in:

0 - 49 = Fail
50 - 64 = Pass
65 - 74 = Credit
75 - 84 = Distinction
85 - 100 = High Distinction.

Now, convert your grades into grade points based on the following:

Fail = 0
Pass Conceded = 3
Pass = 4
Credit = 5
Distinction = 6
High Distinction = 7.

Your GPA is calculated by:
GPA = Σ(grade point for subject multiply by credit point value of subject) divided by Σ(credit point of subject). In the language of 2-unit General Maths, this means:

GPA = ( GP1 x CP1 + GP2 x CP2 + GP3 x CP3 + ... + GP'n' x CP'n' ) / ( CP1 + CP2 + CP3 + ... + CP'n' )

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
yeah I just found that in another thread

Best cast scenario, if I get all HD's this semester (wont happen), I will have a GPA of 4.1.

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
actually that was if I got all D's, but I still dont' see that happening.

What would it be if I got 3.6 (all P's)

edit: nm found the table in that pdf

Last edited:

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
The_highwayman said:
how about
town planning -> Architecture -> Teaching -> biomed

i've actually considered nutrition and dietetics.
we do a couple of common courses with them.
there's a much higher female:male ratio than engineering.
yeah thats another reason I do it, if I don't like it I can change to something else medical-sciencey pretty easy, plus dietetics would be a good field.

edit: so is there someone who I can ask about all this stuff? I can only think of the dean, or atleast get him to redirect me to someone

Last edited:

em_516

bludging..
HSC
haha, i considered nutrition and dietetics as well
james, maybe go to the careers people? i THINK they can help with that sort of thing, and if not, they'll know who to direct you to..probably easier to be able to talk to them than to the dean?

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
yeah i guess

i kinda want to go to the dean so i can make simpsons/futurama jokes

em_516

bludging..
HSC
lol
you'd have to make an appointment though or some shit yeh?
er i dunno, i'd never want to face someone like the dean :S ahha

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
is the dean really one person or is it like just some subset of the uni

em_516

bludging..
HSC
i..thought it was a person..
lol

i'm not actually sure if we have a dean though? i know there's a chancellor and a vice-chancellor
eh

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)