old/contemporary religious music (1 Viewer)

ms.motocross

hey guys

im thinkin about comparing the older religious styles of music and the contemporary styles of music. but i dont know what to do after that because thats a bit broad i think :uhhuh:

ne suggestions would b appreciated....thanx heaps...

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
breaking your styles up into timeperiods *may* be a place to start (that is after IDing your styles to show research and analysis). Then, look at what may have influenced these "changes" eg Vatican 2, move /increase/rise in Pentecostalism, ppl/numbers attending church etc (these eg's can be linked but *probably* are not the best for linking-does that make sense?)
Also, have to decide what you "mean" by Christian. ie are you just doing Catholic or all/a particular Protestant church, are you comparing styles between variants etc. as this will also dictate direction and research.
Also, you * may* want to look at how is (and how was) the "music" used ie in liturgy,masses, formal and informal, live music Vs recorded, "audience" participation, use at particular times of the Mass (if doing Catholic- as music serves specific purposes during the MAss- ask your music teacher about this one! etc
Apparently, there is some really good stuff on the net for this- if I can find a music ISP student, I'll ask...... (ours have their ISP's back so this shouldnt be a problem)
Hopes this isnt too confusing (am really stuffed and tired after planning and running 6 Ash Wednesday services at school today!
SH

ms.motocross

i was also wondering if you knew of any where where i could get some useful informaton on contemporary styles of greek orthodox music?? thanx heaps.

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
I only have a couple of websites from a students work (on the Byzantine Chant) from last year (I collect the odd ones!)

This seems to be the best one
http://hirr.hartsem.edu/sociology/s..._liederman.html
and
http://www.freemonks.gr/
Hope they are still current

BTW are you sure you have to do all outcomes?
Its recommended but you can get away with just focussing on just one (does depend on the school though....

Hope these help.
SH

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)