Old library building? (1 Viewer)

mw12310

HSC
Was wondering if anyone knows what's happening to the old library building after the new one opens?

HSC
Was wondering if anyone knows what's happening to the old library building after the new one opens?
Have no clue but when the student election was on last year, one of the groups I think it was "Revive" told me the Uni want to destroy it for something new which sounds a bit odd....

But that group told me they wanted to convert into either new classrooms or more likely as a study place.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Have no clue but when the student election was on last year, one of the groups I think it was "Revive" told me the Uni want to destroy it for something new which sounds a bit odd....

But that group told me they wanted to convert into either new classrooms or more likely as a study place.
I didn't think they could destroy the old library, isn't it heritage listed or something?

Monstar

HSC
I didn't think they could destroy the old library, isn't it heritage listed or something?
Are you serious man? that fucking library isnt more than like 30-40 years old..look at its architecture. IMO, smash it and give the law kids something to brag about.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Are you serious man? that fucking library isnt more than like 30-40 years old..look at its architecture. IMO, smash it and give the law kids something to brag about.
Screw that, build a pyramid, something for us ancients!

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
I heard that the old library will be turned into the sleeping quarters for the robot librarians. Or something of that nature.

X

xeuyrawp

Much of the university is essentially heritage listed due to its dubious status as the best example of Brutalism in Australia...

The general chatter is that the old library will be turned into the 'campus hub'; ie a combination of services and resources offered by the students. U@MQ/Campus Experience seems to be fighting for it, and have said that the current U@MQ/Campus Experience building should be demolished.

Any refitting of the old library building apparently needs to start at the earliest a year after the new library is opened; so we're talking about >2 years away until the old library is again usable. God it's going to be such a horrible waste of space in the mean time.

That's pretty much all that's known.

zaqwerty

HSC
It'd be good if it could become more study space. I hate having to walk around the library like it's the carpark trying to find a spot, and then eventually having to give up.

X

xeuyrawp

It'd be good if it could become more study space. I hate having to walk around the library like it's the carpark trying to find a spot, and then eventually having to give up.
It would be nice if they distinguished between 'study space' and 'library space'. Ie, if you want to go study from your ECON111 textbook, you could go to x space instead of the library, which some people need to actually use.

dolbinau

HSC
They should totally turn the old library into a mental asylum so all the first year students can play with the inmates and attempt to diagnose them after the 1 psychopathology lecture!11!

but wtf they want to demolish the current 'campus experience' building? is the atrium/food courts (well court, we're a bit modest at MQ aren't we :p) included with that?

So strange.

Last edited:

Monstar

HSC
Much of the university is essentially heritage listed due to its dubious status as the best example of Brutalism in Australia...

The general chatter is that the old library will be turned into the 'campus hub'; ie a combination of services and resources offered by the students. U@MQ/Campus Experience seems to be fighting for it, and have said that the current U@MQ/Campus Experience building should be demolished.

Any refitting of the old library building apparently needs to start at the earliest a year after the new library is opened; so we're talking about >2 years away until the old library is again usable. God it's going to be such a horrible waste of space in the mean time.

That's pretty much all that's known.
*wikis brutalism*

But seriously, I think MQ's buildings are so fugly. The library especially.. They should just demolish or atleast stick glass windows all over the concrete walls.. anything that doesnt remind me communist russia.

X

xeuyrawp

*wikis brutalism*

But seriously, I think MQ's buildings are so fugly. The library especially.. They should just demolish or atleast stick glass windows all over the concrete walls.. anything that doesnt remind me communist russia.
In Soviet Russia, building demolishes you!

xsavagex

HSC
I wish they'd convert it into a study space, solely for studying! So those who need the library for the library resources can use the new library, and those who just want to print stuff and study can use the old library. Add heaps more desks and chairs where all the books are.

onur91

HSC
N/A
They seriously do need to build a new study place. Currently it is near impossible to find a place to sit in the library. Always packed with international students, it's like they live there.

mw12310

HSC
I know the current library was built in a couple of stages so i reckon they could reduce it to its original size, clean it up on the outside, renovate heaps on the inside and make it a dedicated new law building with study areas built in - would free up the new library too with no need for a law section.. also current law facilities are atrocious i hear so it would help to fix two problems...

merillem

HSC
It's good that there will be extra space, it's always at a premium at the uni. Fingers crossed it gets dedicated to student activities (study, services etc) rather than more classrooms or offices.

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
Brutalism...what an appropriate name for that style of architecture.

Honestly, the perception of our campus is quite poor, people overlook the awesome lake/grass and focus on the fugly buildings.

The new library and hospital seem to look pretty schmick but!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)