On Aussie Unis and Unis Popularly Shown On TV/Movies (1 Viewer)

epsilon

HSC
I've just looked at THES's 2005 world uni rankings, and I've discovered some very interesting things in regards to well-known unis as well as unis that are popularly shown on TV/movies and books. Since I'm heading off to Sydney Uni soon, here's a little trumpet-blowing to send all the other USYD peeps on their way :D:

According to THES, we USYD dudes (as well as a few other Aussie unis) kicked the asses of those US nerds in Carnegie Mellon University, And the well-known (just saw In Good Company) NYU is also ranked below us ;)

Durham University, which supplies many UK politicians is also ranked below us. And for fans of Grey's Anatomy, Dr Meredith Grey's supposedly 'prestigious' Dartmouth College is also ranked quite low. And we also definately own Prince William's St Andrews University :p. And shockingly, Georgetown University is also ranked near the end of the table! Wth??? Isn't this the Georgetown University where President Bartlett's daughther in The West Wing goes to??? Or the one where the hero lawyer in John Grisham's King of Torts went to as well? I've always thought it was Ivy League material? Weird...

On the downside, how in the world did the communist-ruled Beijing University get ranked so much higher than us??? Man, that's an affront to all us free-world citizens!

Well, that's all for my crap :D I did this just for a bit of fun, and it's nothing serious. I hope nobody gets offended by this ;)

Last edited:

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
The THES has been heavily criticised... but I guess all rankings are. However it is particularily notable that so many Aussie/British uni's appear so high where as alot of brilliant asian universities appear lower.

HSC
N/A
.....yeah...I wouldn't take those rankings too seriously. But I am excited about going to USYD though. C u there epsilon!

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
epsilon said:
I've just looked at THES's 2005 world uni rankings, and I've discovered some very interesting things in regards to well-known unis as well as unis that are popularly shown on TV/movies. Since I'm heading off to Sydney Uni soon, here's a little trumpet-blowing to send all the other USYD peeps on their way :D:

According to THES, we USYD dudes (as well as a few other Aussie unis) kicked the asses of those US nerds in Carnegie Mellon University, And the well-known (just saw In Good Company) NYU is also ranked below us ;)

Durham University, which supplies many UK politicians is also ranked below us. And for fans of Grey's Anatomy, Dr Meredith Grey's supposedly 'prestigious' Dartmouth College is also ranked quite low. And we also definately own Prince William's St Andrews University :p. And shockingly, Georgetown University is also ranked near the end of the table! Wth??? Isn't this the Georgetown University where President Bartlett's daughther in The West Wing goes to??? Or the one where the hero lawyer in John Grisham's King of Torts went to as well? I've always thought it was Ivy League material? Weird...

On the downside, how in the world did the communist-ruled Beijing University get ranked so much higher than us??? Man, that's an affront to all us free-world citizens man!

Well, that's all for my crap :D I did this just for a bit of fun, and it's nothing serious. I hope nobody gets offended by this ;)
Hey another wingnut who values reputation and prestige. Kudos to you.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
By the way, you know what I find amazing? ANU consistently wipes the floor in all of these rankings... yet the ANU students on these forums don't seem to have any sort of ego about it? Is it because we can easily counter with 'but you have to go to uni in canberra', or what?

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
epsilon said:
And for fans of Grey's Anatomy, Dr Meredith Grey's supposedly 'prestigious' Dartmouth College is also ranked quite low. And we also definately own Prince William's St Andrews University :p. And shockingly, Georgetown University is also ranked near the end of the table! Wth??? Isn't this the Georgetown University where President Bartlett's daughther in The West Wing goes to??? Or the one where the hero lawyer in John Grisham's King of Torts went to as well? I've always thought it was Ivy League material? Weird...

On the downside, how in the world did the communist-ruled Beijing University get ranked so much higher than us??? Man, that's an affront to all us free-world citizens man!
From the top of my head, the character of Helen Gamble on the The Practice (played by Lara Flynn Boyle went to Havard, the character of Valerie from Channel 9's 'What I Like About You' is a Columbia grad and Sandy from the OC (Seth's dad) is a true liberal from the left leaning Berkeley. Also a Berekely grad is the character of Benjamin from the famous movie The Graduate (though the uni scenes were actually filmed at UCLA and USC). Dr Harold Abbott (Amy's dad) on Chanel 9's 'Everwood' is a hardcore Princeton alum (it seems EVERY princeton grad is hardcore about their alma mater - must be something in the water over there).

Dartmouth is an ivy league, old money rural college in new england. The alumni would be the type who spend summers in Cape Cod or Nantucket... It has a strong alumni support, but no real international presence like some of the other ivy leaguers (Havard, Yale, Columbia)...

Georgetown is good for international politics. It's the top university in DC...but that's not really saying much. They have a huge intake which is not the norm for a private university (much like NYU). This affects staff/student ratios (though admittedly it doesn't see to detract from Havard's quality). Georgetown is in Washington DC...essentially a southern city. Not ivy league in anyway.

Beijing University is top notch. Best minds from a population of over a billion...so what do u expect?

The US News rankings of American universities is generally good is regarded as the most reliable for American institutions.

And for the record, Melbourne should rape USYD on any proper ranking.

Last edited:

epsilon

HSC
Not-That-Bright: Hey man, I've also always wondered about that too. I'm guessing the reason ANU's that highly-ranked is because it seems to be our premier 'academic' uni. Most of the experts on politics/economics/etc that you see on the evening news are based in ANU. I don't think it's undergraduate program is the best in Australia though. Plus it's location also probably contributes to its relatively low UAI cut-offs for its courses, compared to the other Group of 8 unis.

Last edited:
X

xeuyrawp

AsyLum said:
Hey another wingnut who values reputation and prestige. Kudos to you.
I totally agree. I was reading this and thinking 'cute post', then I realised he was serious.

I love it also how it's 'we'; does the poster realise that he had nothing to do with the results? He should say 'they', and not pretend that he had any part of it...

epsilon

HSC
PwarYuex: Aww, c'mone now man! Didn't I already say that this post was just for fun? Fine, I'll refrain from using 'we' from now onwards (thus humbly acknowledging myself to be an imbecile with no right to claim any association with Sydney Uni...), if that makes you feel better. Jeez... lighten up dude! :)

Anyway, I did some checking on which unis in the US are Ivy League ones, and they are:

1. Brown University (???)
2. Columbia University
3. Cornell University
4. Dartmouth College
5. Harvard University
6. University of Pennsylvania (???)
7. Princeton University
8. Yale University

Ok, where the heck are Stanford University, MIT, UC and Duke University? I was under the impression that the Ivy League list was much longer than this.

Last edited:
HSC
N/A
epsilon said:
Anyway, I did some checking on which unis in the US are Ivy League ones, and they are:

1. Brown University (???)
2. Columbia University
3. Cornell University
4. Dartmouth College
5. Harvard University
6. University of Pennsylvania (???)
7. Princeton University
8. Yale University

Ok, where the heck are Stanford University, MIT, UC, Duke University and Columbia Uni? I've always had the impression that the Ivy League list was much longer than this.
Brown and Penn are good.

Ivy League is a sporting grouping, which rules out MIT :rofl:

Stanford is..stanford.

Columbia is on that list.

UC is public, not private.

Duke wouldn't belong on that list.

epsilon

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Why do you have question marks against Brown and UPenn? UPenn has one of the best business degrees in the world :/
Simply because of my ignorance :) It's just because haven't really heard of them before. Thanks for the information on UPenn though :)

X

xeuyrawp

Henry_Kissinger said:
Ivy League is a sporting grouping,
Wow. I never actually knew that. It makes sense though... Learn something new every day...

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
By the way, you know what I find amazing? ANU consistently wipes the floor in all of these rankings... yet the ANU students on these forums don't seem to have any sort of ego about it? Is it because we can easily counter with 'but you have to go to uni in canberra', or what?
Maybe because we don't need surveys to reassure us of the quality of our university? Also, there's nothing wrong with Canberra, I don't think that I'll be spending my breaks in Sydney anymore to be honest.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
neo_o said:
Maybe because we don't need surveys to reassure us of the quality of our university? Also, there's nothing wrong with Canberra, I don't think that I'll be spending my breaks in Sydney anymore to be honest.
I just wanted to add the canberra bit so I didn't seem like I was sucking up to ANU students too much :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)