On Campus Accomodation (1 Viewer)

himynameisbrody

HSC
So I am currently living 6 hours away from UNSW and obviously have to move up there within the month to start in semester 1. At the moment I have little idea where ill be living. I have applied for residence at the Kensington colleges and for Shalom college. I am yet to hear back from either of them. Can somebody let me know if offers/interviews have already been made or any other suggestions for places to apply for.
Thanks

plasticities

HSC
I applied for Shalom and never heard back from them (not even to confirm they received my application) and New (which I did get an interview for) and iirc I found out the outcome by the end of December (the year before I was to start university). I would assume with uni starting in just over a month that they probably would have sent out offers by now, but if you wanted to make sure, probably ring up the colleges.

I don't know what the availability is like, but have a look at the UNSW Village, the University Terraces, UniLodge (which is actually off campus) or the university apartments. If there isn't any vacancy, you'll probably have to go off campus and look into real estate agencies around the area, or maybe even moving in with friends/relatives.

himynameisbrody

HSC
Okay thanks heaps for that plasticities. Does anyone else have a bit more info about this?

Rawf

HSC
I live about 2hrs and 15 mins away from unsw... do you guys think I should move closer or not? I don't really have a job atm either, my friend said they could let me live with them (10min walk to uni), but I have to pay $200 a week, which is quite a bit for me :( How much does rent usually cost per week?
& Is it worth it in my situation or not?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I live about 2hrs and 15 mins away from unsw... do you guys think I should move closer or not? I don't really have a job atm either, my friend said they could let me live with them (10min walk to uni), but I have to pay $200 a week, which is quite a bit for me :( How much does rent usually cost per week?
Well can you comfortably make the 2 hour 15 minute commute every day? If so, then do it. If not, start looking for places closer to uni.

T-Hud

HSC
Wow. Bargain with them :lol:

squishyau

HSC
Although it seems like a large amount, 200 is actually pretty cheap for accommodation especially around UNSW.

cormacshaw

HSC
N/A
If $200 is too much for you, then don't bother trying to find anything remotely near Kensington/UNSW.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
So I am currently living 6 hours away from UNSW and obviously have to move up there within the month to start in semester 1. At the moment I have little idea where ill be living. I have applied for residence at the Kensington colleges and for Shalom college. I am yet to hear back from either of them. Can somebody let me know if offers/interviews have already been made or any other suggestions for places to apply for.
Thanks
You live about the same as me from UNSW. My friends have heard back from those colleges-I'd call to check because Kensington and New often interview in Oct/Nov so you should have heard from them, not sure about Shalom

Lucky you are a guy and I don't have to warn you from not applying to Creston, it is an extremely religious college with a curfew and such.

Have you checked out the Village and other on campus but not college accomodation?

To Rawf, $200 is pretty good for a close to UNSW place, also I would move as I would hate a 2 hr 15 min commute.

himynameisbrody

HSC
You live about the same as me from UNSW. My friends have heard back from those colleges-I'd call to check because Kensington and New often interview in Oct/Nov so you should have heard from them, not sure about Shalom

Lucky you are a guy and I don't have to warn you from not applying to Creston, it is an extremely religious college with a curfew and such.

Have you checked out the Village and other on campus but not college accomodation?

To Rawf, $200 is pretty good for a close to UNSW place, also I would move as I would hate a 2 hr 15 min commute.
Yeah but i hadn't even applied for Kensington college in Oct/Nov because i still wasnt sure which uni I was going to be going to! I assume you mean warrane as the religious college with curfew etc. (as I wouldnt be able to stay at Creston being an all girls college! haha).
I do have an potential alternate accomodation option living with a family member who lives around 30 mins away from UNSW but I would really prefer to get on-campus accommodation for the obvious reasons an out-of-towner would. (Plus the other accomodation is $300/week without food so the end up being similar prices in the end).

cormacshaw

HSC
N/A
I would assume they would be: living on campus, in some situations food is covered, no need to have to learn the city/suburb (which I'd strongly recommend), just go straight to your room after uni, no travel, etc.

I could go on, but there are some advantages to on-campus living.

himynameisbrody

HSC
What are the "obvious reasons"?

Curious.
- meeting people in the same situation as me much quicker and simpler (making it easier to make new friends)
- on campus is fully catered
- inter-college games/sports/competitions etc interest me
- wont have to buy furniture/utensils etc..
- only pay for 38 weeks/year as opposed to having to pay rent when i go home for a rental property.

shelley182

HSC
N/A
rent at unsw onsite is super expensive... 200 a week with your mate is pretty good in retrospect

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)