On Campus Accomodation (1 Viewer)

Atticus.

how do i get out of this
HSC
yes campus east have no interviews... its purely luck and availability
i JUST left campus east. two years of servitude :)
do i regret it? not really, perhaps my second last session

struth

HSC
DrownTheCrow said:
yes campus east have no interviews... its purely luck and availability
i JUST left campus east. two years of servitude :)
do i regret it? not really, perhaps my second last session
hehe, now that's pretty cool :)

And on another note, I got an email today telling me I'd been accepted.. where as a coupla mates have to wait until the 17th/20th to have their interviews at other campuses. :uhhuh:

Atticus.

how do i get out of this
HSC
i thinks thats stupid having to pay an acceptance fee... :( i guess its the same as having to pay bond but the thing is if you break something you have to pay for it to be repaired, it doesnt come out of that fee

Atticus.

how do i get out of this
HSC
yeh ive STAYED the night in a weerona shared one... it was small, cramped and messy with the tiniest window imaginable
i couldnt live there.. and for that price? no way

gowie

HSC
Hey guys and gals, i was looking at B MedRadPhysics at UOW (provided I get in that is), wat u personally recommend as accomodation, im an easy going kid, dont mind a good party, looking at the cheap of cheap accomo, ie - self catered dregs of the earth, wat u rekon, and wat has been ur expereicne of campus life
Much abliged:wave:

kennychan222

HSC
I've gotten an offer from UOW, and I applied accommodation in October 2007...Will the staffs release any information for me?

A few months ago, I sent an e-mail to Mike Gillmore, the general manager of Accommodation of UOW, and he reply as below

"Hi Kenny

Offers for students applying to University through the UAC system will come out through Jan 2008 (as I am sure you are aware). So we can be sure we are offering accommodation places to students that have a UOW tuition offer we will make accommodation offers to UAC students at the same time.

As long as you have your accommodation application on time, and you get a UOW tuition offer through the UAC offer rounds you will receive an accommodation offer.

Regards

Mike Gillmore"

Last edited:

kennychan222

HSC
Without Wings said:
Chill out, you just got your UAC offer, give it a few days, as he said offers for students applying via UAC will be released AFTER the UAC offers (obviously you shouldn't expect the university to send out offers at 10pm at night :))
Ok, so I will receive any information of accommodation after few days of UAC main round offer. Huh.

Ma-Masha

HSC
N/A
Hi guys and ladies!

Any idea how the Graduate House looks like? Is it nice?
I am planning to live there with my son who will be 5, and am trying to collect as much info as possible... I am from Russia by the way :) and plan to arrive in a year... already worry :bomb: where to stay since I have never been in Au...
thanks a lot :)

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Hey guys, what's a good hall/college for somebody who's fairly extroverted, easy-going and likes alcohol? Preferably 200+ peops.

For what it's worth, I lived on campus at ANU in 06/07, and we'll be studying BEd/BSc at UoW in 09.

dion7789

Dodgy Pen Dealer
HSC
Slidey said:
Hey guys, what's a good hall/college for somebody who's fairly extroverted, easy-going and likes alcohol? Preferably 200+ peops.
You can't go wrong with campus east for the alcohol and easy-goingness

McLovin

HSC
I seem very interested in Campus East and I was wondering if the $150 per week (if my memory is correct) is that per person or per room of four or so people?

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Without Wings said:
I'd say Campus East, but Weerona would be the other option. Campus East is the largest (approx 500+ residents) approx whereas Weerona has about 200.

Are you going to be at the Wollongong Campus or Loftus Steele?
Cheers. Just what I needed guys.

I don't know. Either way I'd be staying on campus at UOW main, right? Chris said something about Loftus being in Sydney?

Edit: Oh, yeah, Campus East looks pretty sweet. Do you guys know how tight they are about noise, alcohol, parties, etc? The previous college I was at liked to pry into your social life a bit too much.

Last edited:

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Oh yeah I realised yesterday while flicking through the brochure thingo. Weird stuff. So there's little inter-hall mingling?

Cheers for all the info! And yeah that's the one.

I can't decide between chemistry, comp sci then Dip Ed, or choosing between comp sci and chem to combine with BEd. Leaning towards Dip Ed. Hmm might be able to fit them all into BEd/BSc.

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
Slidey said:
Oh yeah I realised yesterday while flicking through the brochure thingo. Weird stuff. So there's little inter-hall mingling?

Cheers for all the info! And yeah that's the one.
I can't vouch for inter-hall mingling but a few of my Canberra friends all started in different accomodation and are now good friends, so *shrug*. (Although a good majority of on-campus* types I know come from Campus East.)

*I use on-campus to refer to anyone staying in University accomodation, as distinguished by private rentals and stay-at-home-bums.

j-3-s-5

HSC
Put my application in for campus east a few weeks ago.
Does anyone have any idea of roughly how many people apply and how many people get rejected??

lizcowan

HSC
Ive just put in a application for campus east too :)

I read on the uow website somewhere that i can specify where abouts in campus east i want to live... (ill just send an email when i decide)

But what would be the best? (in flex-catered)

West Block
Trench Town
A/B, C & D Blocks

The only difference i can see is that A/B, C & D blocks have a better common room?

and west block and trench town have "shared bathrooms" whereas the A/B, C & D blocks have "shower and toliet rooms"... whats the difference here?

Js^-1

No tengo pantelonès
HSC
I'm pretty sure you wont get into trench town if you're a first year. At least, that was my understanding of it. Correct me if I'm wrong.

zagga20

HSC
first years are just as likely to get into trench town as anywhere else on campus.
i know heaps of them in there in the last two sessions.

Im in Hospital at the moment (that is, A&B block) and to tell give you some info on campus east...

A&B - Hospital
The common room has a table and a kitchenette, with a booth seat around the table.
The bathroom is common. it has a seperate toilet and shower, with a common sink.
The room is split between 5 people.
common phone

Hospital is kind of known as the party block, after slums lawn i guess. it gets pretty loud, but study isnt impossible.

C block - Postgrad
Similar to Hospital. phones in each room.
5 people

loud on some nights, quiet on most. though i dont go there too often cant vouch for it.

D block - Alkatraz
Heated rooms (though aldis is down the road and you can pick up a $7 heater for winter)
5 people
similar to postgrad and hospital. without the common table. though they do have a couch.

pretty quiet this year. good place for study.

Hospital, Postgrad and alkatraz have storage rooms.

Slums (not sure which block they are)

No common room. Common Bathroom (shower and toilet in one room)
Rooms are a bit bigger from my knowledge, than hospital, alkatraz and postgrad.

Slums lawn is a pretty lax area. youll find people sun bathing, or studying on there on the odd day. however mostly drinking will occur on here before parties.

Trench Town
Ive heard, those who go to trench town, stay in trench town. they seem to love it. however its not unheard of the area flooding and your room filling with bugs and spiders.
theres rumour of it being torn down in the future.

Slums and Trench town are 3 people rooms i think...

Self Catered.
Biggest rooms on campus.
Large common room, kitchen, storage, couches, fold out couch, table, large fridge, tv.
2 bathrooms.
though this is no flexi catered.

hope that answers some questions. if its been posted already than oh well... im procrastinating anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)