On-campus wireless internet (1 Viewer)

samjohnno91

HSC
I just wanted to clarify a few thing with the free wireless internet on campus as i'll probably need to use it frequently to download lectures and stuff.

1. How do i logon to it? Do i use my student portal info?
2. Is there any usage limit per person?
3. Is downloads restricted to purely academic use? Can i access other websites like facebook etc or are there firewalls?

Thanks for the help :).

X

xeuyrawp

I just wanted to clarify a few thing with the free wireless internet on campus as i'll probably need to use it frequently to download lectures and stuff.

1. How do i logon to it? Do i use my student portal info?
Macquarie University Wireless Network
2. Is there any usage limit per person?
Apparently there's something like a 300mb limit, but I haven't experienced it.
3. Is downloads restricted to purely academic use? Can i access other websites like facebook etc or are there firewalls?

Thanks for the help :).
You can do whatever you want, generally.

samjohnno91

HSC
Yeah, i hope the limitation isnt too much because i want to download some torrents (legitimate) but my home usage can't handle it. The files are about 3.5gb to 4gb. Do you think Would i be able to download it one chunk or ask IT for permission, or download over a few days?

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
The connection maxes out at about 100k/s, so you'd have to download it over several days.

P_Dilemma

Extraordinary Entertainer
HSC
which torrent client are you using? I'm using utorrent and it cant seem to connect...

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Just expect that in some rooms you can't get the signal. (e.g. Price theatre)..also expect that sometimes you can get the signal but cannot access the logon because too many people are online...

It is getting better though

Peartie

HSC
i was told by someone doing electronic engineering or something that MQ has one of the best wireless research departments in Australia....wouldn't know that from the system in place would you?

Peartie

HSC
i havent really used it since 07 - and it was shite then...and i dont like the fact that you couldnt (maybe still cant) get wireless all over the library...

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Rofl I remember when I couldn't get a connection sitting around/under the wireless APs, bloody awful!

funkasian1

HSC
I cant get torrents to work at Uni.

Can anyone else? If so how??

Thanks

L i L O

HSC
I use uTorrent to DL Torrents in the W6B Courtyard..

Firstly, I don't log on to the Mac. Wireless Network - I log on to the network named 'mmlab01', which I assume is the network of a lab within the W6B building. It doesn't require a WPA key/password.

Then, I let uTorrent download albums/movies/tv shows while I quickly skim over readings before tutes and finish assignments due at the end of the day.

HTH!

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Since we're in the new building, that's gone, bad luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)