• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

On ... chapman's homer - john keats (1 Viewer)

Jeanice

HSC
It is hard enough linking The tempest to imaginative journey yet alone a poem. I need to write about ideas about imaginative journeys that are presented in John Keats' On first looking into chapman's homer..
Can any one help me please!! ..half yearly's soon!

plinkiechick

HSC
I dont know if you still need help but here's what I've got.
In John Keat's 'On first looking into Chapman's Homer', the persona (it may be John Keats himself or just a fictional character) listens to Chapman's translation of Homer's story about Troy and the Trojan War. He goes on an imaginative and reflective journey, taking the responder with him, describing his travels in the past 'round many western islands' and 'in the realms of gold'. He talks about how he felt when hearing Chapman's Homer, and says that even all of his travels and adventures cannot compare to how the story makes him feel. He likens himself to Cortez and his discovery of Mexico and all the gold that was found there. He feels like 'some watcher of the skies, When a new planet swims into his ken (or knowledge)". Basically, Keats is describing an imaginative journey of discovery. It can also be suggested that this poem describes imaginative journeys as having more value than physical ones. Also, there is an element of appreciating the small things in life. The persona has seen so much of the world and yet it is a story being read out loud that moves him the most. If you are looking at Coleridge, you can compare this to "This Lime-Tree Bower my Prison" in that he has learnt to appreciate the things closest to him and, as I mentioned, the small things in life.
Hope this helped!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)