On Line Study group for Arab- Israeli (1 Viewer)

I'm having alot of trouble writing essays for questions on this topic so, if anyone wants to, would you like to wite a couple of practice essays together? If people are interested, post a question to be done and we can all contribute.

Christie35

now I'm not sure

a. whether it answers the question and
b. what to write now.

Please help me! I started to write another copy that I will type up if you want to read that. Sorry to ask you this.
Christie35

Assess the attempts by the Palestinians, the Arab nations and the Israleli governments to reach a peace agreement between 1979 - 1996

The creation of Israel brought about increased hostility amongst the neighbouring coutries, particularly Egypt. It initiated the failure of neighbouring countries to recognise the right of Israel to exist, and, after their defeat in the 1947/9 war, Arab countries refused to sign any form of a peace treaty with the Jewish state. A further discouragement for the Arabs was the repitive intervention of the super powers, during and after the war. Before 1979, the concept of peace was overshadowed by the belief that the only solution was armed conflict. During the 1947/9 war - or the "Disaster"- the Palestinians lost another large part of their homeland to the Jews. For the Arab peopulation in Israel, their homeland had ceased to exist and thus they were forced to flee, while the Palestinians who remained in Israel lived in settlements under Jewish control.

On the 29th October, 1956, 100 000 Israeli troops attacked Egypt by way of the Sinai Desert, and within days the Israelis had managed to capture the Gaza Strip and the Sinai Penisula. Physically victory was awarded to Israel, who had also captured the West Bank, occupied the Canal Zone on the 5th November, and gained access to the Suez Canal. However, world support was diversified towarts Egypt. This had a dramatic impact on the 1967 war and created a rift between the Arab world, preventing them from achieving common goals. This only intesified the hostility towards the concept of peace.

However, the 1973 'Kom Kippur' war or the 'Ramadan War' changed these attitudes. All fighting sides realised that this conflict was not being resolved through the use of arms - the only way to resolve this ongoing conflict was through peace.

Egyptian President Anwar Sadat was one of the first leaders in the Middle East to recognise the need for peace. He could see that terrorist attacks only brought about attacks of retaliation. It was with this in mind, and the knowledge that Sadat would need the support of the United States to regain the Sinai, which he would only recieve if he moved towards peace, that Sadat arranged a peace talk. When he was invited to address the Israeli parliament (the Knesset), Sadat clarified that he wanted a permanent peace agreement, but he also demanded Israel's withdrawal from the Occupied Territories gained in the 1967 war, and for her to recognise the Palestinian's rights to self - determination. Menachem Begin refused, but agreed to continue peace talks.

Jimmy Carter, the Democratic President of the United States, was the initator of the Camp David Accords. Months after Sadat addressed the Knesset, Carter persuaded Sadat and Begin to meet him at the Camp David Retreat. They agreed, and together they drafted what is known as the Camp David Accords. These Accords were made up of two agreements. The first, 'A framework for Peace in the Middle East' called for peact negotiations among Egypt, Jordan, Israel and representatives of the Palestinian people to settle the question of the West Bank and the Gaza Strip. The second, 'A framework for the conclusion of a Peace Treaty between Egypt and Israel' was a draft proposing for the signing of an official peace agreement within the next three months. However, these Accords thoroughly ignored the question of Jeruselem and the future of the Golan Heights.

These Accords were met with opposition on both sides. To begin with, Arabs saw Sadat's actions as the ultimate act of betrayal. As consequence, Egypt was exxpelled from the Arab League, which was ironic, seeing as though President Nassar had been the one to establish the League. However, the main reason for opposition to any form of peace treaty with Israel was because making peace would indicate that the Arabs would have to recognise Israel. Hard line Israelis opposed any conciliation or compromise on any issue with the Arabs. The main opposition arose due to deep concern over Israeli border security.

Opposition by the Arabs led to the destructive assasination of Sadat on 6th October 1981. He was succeded by Hosni Mubarak, who still upholds the treaty today.

However, while conlict appeared to be settled between Egypt and Israel, tensions between Lebanon and Israel grew, made worse by the increasing number of Palestinians entering Lebanon. With the Palestinians came the establishment of many PLO bases and infastructures. In four years, the Israelis invaded Lebanon twice, once in March 1978 in retaliation for a PLO bus hijack, which killed many Israeli civilians. The UN ordered a cease fire in July 1981. However, in June 1982, 172 000 Israeli soldiers invaded once again. This invasion was called the Operation for Peace in Galilee. The Israeli troops aimed to firstly destroy PLO bases, and to secure Israel's 15km wide security zone. They reached Beirut quickly, and launched ariel and artillary bombardment, which continued for 79 days. On the 11th August, Israel agreed to the US brokered ceasefire. This allowed safe passage out of Beirut, Tinisa, Syria, Iraq and Yemen. After this, demonstrators in Israel called for peace.

Last edited:

Sonik

HSC
N/A
Tops Christie ;) ..Sure plenty of people will put that to good use...I'm struggling to find stuff for the policies & methods used by Arab & Israeli Governments & the Palestinian people :( ...I just rang the advice line but it was closed! haha..If someone could point me in a direction, that would be great! :D

blacmajic

HSC
N/A
to Christie35, here is some info i gave modernhotchic earlier i think its the same question! some litle extra tips and things to add

ok, well if the question says 1979-1996, you shouldnt go into very much detail about before 1979 cause thats not what the question is asking, you could just say something like:
from the decleration of the state of Isreal in 1948 up until 1979, many peace treaties and cease fires were put in place , however none stopped the fighting between the Arabs and the Israelis. (or whatever!)

the rest of it is pretty good, just remember to stick to the point of peace agreements.
you could probably talk about the regan plan, but thats an American initiative so....

you can also talk about the PLO's recognition of Israel: Israel had a firm policy of not talking to the PLO because they considred it aterrorist group, so for the PLO to make any progress it needed the help of the USA but in 1975 the USA had refused to talk to the PLO until it recognised the state of Isreals right to exist and renounced the use of terrorism. So on the 5th Nov they procclaimed the acceptance of UN resolutions 242 & 338 , therefor accepting israels right to exist. And on the 14th of dec 1988 Arafat specifically affirmed Israelis right to existin peace and security, and added " we totally and absolutley renounce all forms of terrorism". only hours after this USA announced it would open negotiations with the PLO.

then you could go into the gulf war and its effects. During the gulf war the PLO announced its support for Iraq, this displeased Saudi Arabia and the gulf states( the PLO's principle financial backers) and after the war they realised they lost their funding and only if they were seen to be positive in peace negotiations could they hope to regain this.
after the gulf war also Syria, formely a strong oponent to peace talks realised the USSR (their former backer) was no longer a major player in the middle east, so to gain suport they needed to play down their western rhetoric and show a positive attitude to pace talks.

uuumm, i dont think you talked about the oslo accords, did you....?
well, you prob know about them, and if you didnt put them in , its prob a good idea.
Talks in Oslo, between the Israeli gov and the PLO
An agreement was reached on the 30th August 1993 (and two weeks later on the 13th sept, Rabin and Arafat came to an agreement in washington)
..armed palestinian force established, Israel promised to withdraw army from most populated areas...... blah, blah , blah.... agreement put into place may 1994...

well, you know about the Oslo accords in more detail, there is quite a bit of info, and if you dont know about it msg me and i have some good summarised notes which i can send.

then...... i dont know, thats all i can really think of!! i think thats most of it with of ours combined!

well, hope it was helpfull,
good luck!!!

Christie35

thanks, blackmajic that help i was just so confused; i got the question from the maccquarie revision guide, and it's got what to put in the answer and i'm trying to follow it but it's too confusing.

Christie35

Sonik said:
Tops Christie ;) ..Sure plenty of people will put that to good use...I'm struggling to find stuff for the policies & methods used by Arab & Israeli Governments & the Palestinian people :( ...I just rang the advice line but it was closed! haha..If someone could point me in a direction, that would be great! :D
Key Feature: Polieies and methods used by the Israeli and Arab governments and the Palestinian people

Violence used by all parties - give examples

Propaganda

Wars

Terrorism eg. Fedayeen raids / Fatah/ DFLP / PELP/ Hezbollah/ Islamic Jihad/ Hamas/ PLO

Retaliation - reprisal policy

Oil Weapon- by the Arab governments

Intifada - by Palestinians: revolt/ civil disobedience. Israeli policy at this time was "Iron fist" and "Break Bones Policy

Note The movement from armed struggle to political activity/ diplomacy- 1970s and 1990s:

Arab League
Arab alliance with Soviet Union
Diplomacy: Camp David Accors
Diplomacy: Arafat's addresses to the UN in 1974 and 1988
Diplomacy: OSLO

4 Nos: No recognition, No exchange of Land for Peace, No negotion and No peace

Creation of the PLO- aims (Policy): TERROR

Palestinian Caharter 1967 aftermath: Article 9: Armed Struggle
Post '67: Hijackings/ Black September / Munich Massacre

Black September: Huessin expelled PLO from Jordan - Arfat was smuggled out

Israel Policy on the Occupied Territores:

Israeli Policy: refusal to comply with Resolution 242
No land for Peace
Ensure secure boundaries
Allon Plan: annexation of 50% of OTs
Plan Dalet- Palestinians refused permission to return to homes

Israel parties: Labour (Doves) included trading land for peace
Likud (Hawks)- born in 1973, came to power in 1977. It Policies were more hardline:

-strong Zionists who favoured keeping all land conquered by Israel in 1967
-"creeping annexations" or "creating facts on the ground"
-opposed negotiations between the Labour government and PLO
-policy of support for Israeli settlements in the OTs (from Begin in 1977 to Netanyahu in 1996)

ISRAEL DID NOT RESPOND TO PALESTINIAN'S DEMANDS FOR AUTONOMY

IN 1988 YASSAR ARAFAT RENOUNCED TERROR AND TURNED TO PEACE: CHANGE OF pOLICY

Christie35

The creation of Israel initiated a large amount of hostility between the Arab countries and the new Jewish state. After the 1948-9 war, the tensions grew dramatically, giving way to a full-fledged armed conflict that has so far raged for firty-six years, showing no indication of a lasting peace covering all aspects of the conflict. This, then, led to the firm enforcement of the four nos; No peace with Israel, No recognition of Israel, No exchange of land for peace and no negotiation. However, by the end of the 1973 war, the Egyptian President, Anwar Sadat, realised that nothing was being achieved through the use of struggle. Thus, on the 20th Nobember 1977, Sadat adressed the Israeli government (the Knesset) and demanded Israel's withdrawal from the occupied territories. Menachem Begin, the Israeli Prime Minister, refused, but agree to continue peace talks.

In September 1978, American President, Jimmy Carter invited Sadat and Begin to the Camp David retreat, where Sadat and Begin continued the peace talks. Together, the drafted the Camp David Accords, which was made up of two agreements. The first, 'A framework for Peace in the Middle East' called for peact negotiations among Egypt, Jordan, Israel and representatives of the Palestinian people to settle the question of the West Bank and the Gaza Strip. The second, 'A framework for the conclusion of a Peace Treaty between Egypt and Israel' was a draft proposing for the signing of an official peace agreement within the next three months. However, these Accords thoroughly ignored the question of Jeruselem and the future of the Golan Heights.

These Accords were met with opposition on both sides. To begin with, Arabs saw Sadat's actions as the ultimate act of betrayal. As consequence, Egypt was exxpelled from the Arab League, which was ironic, seeing as though President Nassar had been the one to establish the League. However, the main reason for opposition to any form of peace treaty with Israel was because making peace would indicate that the Arabs would have to recognise Israel. Opposition by the Arabs led to the destructive assasination of Sadat on 6th October 1981. He was succeded by Hosni Mubarak, who still upholds the treaty today. Hard line Israelis opposed any conciliation or compromise on any issue with the Arabs. The main opposition arose due to deep concern over Israeli border security.

The attempted assasination of the Israeli ambassador in 1982 was used as an immediate pretext for war, and so, less then twelve months after a UN ceasefire following the first Israeli invasion of Lebanon, Israeli troops re - invaded. This invasion was called the Operation for Peace in Galilee. The Israeli troops aimed to firstly destroy PLO bases, and to secure Israel's 15km wide security zone. They reached Beirut quickly, and launched ariel and artillary bombardment, which continued for 79 days. On the 11th August, Israel agreed to the US brokered ceasefire. This allowed safe passage out of Beirut, Tinisa, Syria, Iraq and Yemen. After this, demonstrators in Israel called for peace.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)