• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

On line Study Group (1 Viewer)

The Starthorn Tree by Kate Forsyth

have you read this book? if so, can you please help me. I am trying to write an essay in response to the statement "Physical journeys have the power to challenge our thinking".
I feel that what I've written is not enough. please help me if you can!

The novel “The Starthorn Tree” by Kate Forsyth tells the tale of a fictitious physical journey undertaken by six companions who must journey deep into the Perilous Forest to seek counsel from the Erlune. They are on a journey in search of the truth about unsolved matters in their Kingdom.

Out of all of the characters in this novella, it is Lady Lisandre who appears to benefit the most from the physical journey. At the beginning of the text, this character was impressed on us as a snobbish, conceited princess, with a narrow view of life. However, by the end of the text responders view her as a matured adult. This is eminent in a comment she makes to a servant “…everything’s not right in the world…I’ve seen a lot…and I never knew…” This quote portrays that physical journeys do often result in giving the traveler a better understanding of life, and can often result in a change in personality; but even more – so, it illustrates quite clearly that physical journeys have the power to challenge our thinking.

Physical Journeys have the power to challenge our thinking.

How have the texts you have studied presented this concept?

Journeys, whether they are physical, emotional or imaginative, confront our minds with psychological obstacles. Physical journeys, as a combination of all three variations of journeys pose as the extension of personal boundaries by forcing the traveler to contemplate issues or questions that had not previously arisen.

Throughout many centuries, composers have combined these personal experiences with forms of creative and intriguing stories. Such a composer is Peter Skrzynecki. In his poems “Immigrants and Central Station”, “Crossing the Red Sea” and “Feliks Skrzynecki”, Skrzynecki has used personal experiences to demonstrate that physical journeys have the power to challenge our thinking.

“Immigrants at Central Station” is a poem depicting the uncertainty about the future. The tone is full of fear. “Families stood / With children at their sides”. This quote strongly alludes to feelings of fear, and a need to protect, as they fearfully contemplate what awaits them.

Skrzynecki uses many language techniques to illustrate the fearful tone and tense, anticipating atmosphere. Such techniques include similes (“…Like Cattle bought for slaughter”, “Like a word of command”), personifications (“Time waited”, “Space hemmed us against each other”) and alliteration (“…With dampness that Slowly / Sank into our thoughts.”)

The similes give strong allude to the Holocaust and the traumatizing concentration camps which were set up at the beginning of WW2. This intensifies the fear which the immigrants feel. It is in this way that this poem’s physical journey has the power to challenge our thinking - both the responders’ and the subjects’. As a responder, one may have been able to closely identify with the fear that the migrants share – because no ‘decent’ person would ever joyfully read about the dreadful Holocaust and the conditions in those camps.

“Crossing the Red Sea” is a hopeful poem. The title alludes to the biblical story in which the Israelites escaped from Egypt, resulting in liberation from slavery. With similar reference to the future as in “Immigrants at Central Station”, this poem looks to the future as the birth of a new life as the migrants’ journey from a period of constant fear and despair.

“Crossing the Red Sea” depicts the importance of keeping memories alive so as not to forget the good times. This is portrayed in the quote “Memories strayed / From behind sunken eyes” which illustrates that the migrants created friendships as, together, they reminisced the pre – war years.

This poem portrays that physical journeys have the power to challenge our thinking for the travelers, because the migrants were forced to realize that no matter how hard the situation they were previously in, hope still remains.

“Feliks Skrzynecki” is a poem describing the effects the journey from Skrzynecki’s homeland has had on him and his father. In this poem, Peter learns a lot about how prejudice people can be towards migrants who they feel do not belong anywhere else but where they came from. This is portrayed by the rude way in which a desk clerk asks Peter “Did your father ever attempt to learn English?”

However, Feliks appears unfazed by this – as is displayed in the quote “Kept with the Joneses / Of his own minds making”. This indicates that Feliks evidently had his own standards and ideals, thus did not care what other people though of him. Yet this quote may also be an indication that the experience which he has gone through has created a sense of isolation from the rest of the world, though he feels at peace, and has accepted who he is.

In the last stanza, the journey taken is Peter’s. From watching his father interact with his Polish friends and from seeing what his father’s Polish heritage means to him, Skrzynecki realize that, while the Polish culture will always be strong in his family, Skrzynecki must learn to discover his own culture; and he chooses to tread in a different path to his father. Thus his father is forced to “like a dumb prophet / Watched me pegging my tents / Further and further south of Hadrian’s Wall.” This wall stands as a barrier; a barrier that has formed between father and son, which has resulted from this journey between cultures. Peter has assimilated; become part of this new culture, whereas Feliks is content to remain loyal to his Polish heritage. The metaphor effect in this poem is used to demonstrate that journeys have barriers and that we have to overcome them. Thus, for both of the subjects, this physical journey has displayed the power to challenge their thinking.

“The Road Not Taken” is a classic example of the combination of an intellectual and a physical journey, enhancing the idea that physical journeys have the power to challenge our thinking. The poem clearly depicts that any form of journey affects individuals at an intellectual level to a variable extent. This poem depicts the significant role our decision – making ability plays in our lives. Robert Frost, the poet, has clearly outlined that our lives contain many unpredictable and unexpected twists and turns, and that it is us who decide on the direction we follow. But the point Frost makes is that we cannot travel in both directions.

The road in this poem is evidently a metaphoric expression for life. The poem expresses that journeys can lead to self satisfaction, self discovery and may also lead to the pursuit of dreams. Journeys, as the first stanzas imply, may hold elements of regretful situations, but as the poem also expresses, at the end of the ‘road’ we can only turn back and decide whether the decision has “made all the difference” in a positive or negative way.

This poem represents that in life there will come times when one will be forced to make choices, such as which direction to take – a choice which will often result in different responses. The persona in this poem represents initial regret. Such can be seen in the quote “And sorry I could not travel both.” Choices are an inevitable part of life, and will usually determine one’s future path. The traveler in this poem is confronted with such a decision and the title portrays that people will often choose “the one less traveled by” to add a challenge in their life.

The novel “The Starthorn Tree” by Kate Forsyth tells the tale of a fictitious physical journey undertaken by six companions who must journey deep into the Perilous Forest to seek counsel from the Erlune. They are on a journey in search of the truth about unsolved matters in their Kingdom.

Out of all of the characters in this novella, it is Lady Lisandre who appears to benefit the most from the physical journey. At the beginning of the text, this character was impressed on us as a snobbish, conceited princess, with a narrow view of life. However, by the end of the text responders view her as a matured adult. This is eminent in a comment she makes to a servant “…everything’s not right in the world…I’ve seen a lot…and I never knew…” This quote portrays that physical journeys do often result in giving the traveler a better understanding of life, and can often result in a change in personality; but even more – so, it illustrates quite clearly that physical journeys have the power to challenge our thinking.

In conclusion, these texts have showed that many physical journeys have the power to challenge our thinking. This, in a large majourity, is due to the fact that journeys present many obstacles, and they also present the traveler with difficulties which will often affect the traveler’s future. The journeys in all of these texts have identified, furthermore, that any form of journey affects individuals at an intellectual level to a variable extent.

Discuss the concept ‘Physical Journey’ and underline the many ways in which different composers depict various features of journeys.

Physical journeys are generally referred to as the movement between two distinct destinations. However, composers who have depicted forms of physical journeys display that there are many other distinguishing features of physical journeys. Journeys have been characterized as learning experiences, and challenges presented to an individual to challenge the psychological and physical abilities of the individual. Peter Skrzynecki Kate Forsyth and Robert Frost are among the many composers who have cleverly depicted eminent features of physical journeys.

The poem “Immigrants at Central Station” by Peter Skrzynecki depicts a climax in the emotional migration experience. This is portrayed by the strong use of imagery instituted by phases such as “Families stood/ Keeping children by their sides.” The poem, once again through its strong use of imagery, as well as through the use of alliteration (“…With dampness that slowly / Sank into our thoughts”), personifications (“The air was crowded”, “Time waited”, “Space hemmed us against each other”) and similes (“Like cattle bought for slaughter”, “Like a guillotine”) helps to demonstrate the fear that surrounds the migrants. These language techniques also help to illustrate the intensity and anticipation. “But we ate it all: the silence, the cold, the benevolence.” This personification suggests a tense atmosphere. The simile “Like cattle bought for slaughter” suggests a feeling of entrapment, and gives a strong allude to the genocide the Nazis inflicted on the Jews by way of the Holocaust. War is a central theme in this poem, and the experience has left the migrants with an overpowering emotion: fear. Likewise, “Like a word of command” relates to the traumatizing concentration camps established by the Nazis at the outset of the war.

The poem strongly depicts the concepts ‘future’ and ‘time’. Time is represented by the train “along glistening tracks”- this indicates that life and time go on, as too must we.

“Feliks Skrzynecki” centres around the prominent theme of culture- that is, Feliks’ heritage, and the journeys taken by both father and son: Feliks’ journey from Europe to Australia with his strong Polish culture and Peter’s journey away from his father’s background, as his father “like a dumb prophet/ Watched me pegging my tents / Further and further south of Hadrian’s Wall”.

Throughout the poem, Skrzynecki has shown respect and admiration towards his father. It is implied through this poem that this respect generated from his father’s ability to remain at peace despite the fact that people in Australia did no accept immigrants because of their foreign backgrounds – “Did your father ever attempt to learn English?” This quote displays the reluctance to accept Feliks.

In relation to the effects the migration experience has had on Feliks this is explained partially by the quote “Kept with the Joneses/ Of his own minds making.” This indicates that Feliks evidently had his own standards and ideals, thus did not care what other people thought of him. Yet this quote may also be an indication that the experience which he has gone through has created a sense of isolation from the rest of the world, though he feels at peace, and has accepted who he is.

“Crossing the Red Sea” depicts a dramatic change of direction is Skrzynecki’s life. This poem centres around the concept of new beginnings. The physical journey here is the movement between lives; with the knowledge that while they journey from a war zone, hope still remains.

The title alludes to the biblical story of the Israelites’ escape from Egypt, resulting in liberation from slavery, thus centering around the concept of hope, a prominent theme. The physical journey portrayed in this poem is the journey between two countries, and this is reflected in the quote “…to watch a sunset/ They would never see again.”

“The Road Not Taken” is a classic example of the combination of an intellectual and a physical journey. The poem clearly depicts that any form of journey affects individuals at an intellectual level to a variable extent. This poem depicts the significant role our decision – making ability plays in our lives. Robert Frost, the poet, has clearly outlined that our lives contain many unpredictable and unexpected twists and turns, and that it is us who decide on the direction we follow. But the point Frost makes is that we cannot travel in both directions.

The road in this poem is evidently a metaphoric expression for life. The poem expresses that journeys can lead to self satisfaction, self discovery and may also lead to the pursuit of dreams. Journeys, as the first stanzas imply, may hold elements of regretful situations, but as the poem also expresses, at the end of the ‘road’ we can only turn back and decide whether the decision has “made all the difference” in a positive or negative way.

This poem represents that in life there will come times when one will be forced to make choices, such as which direction to take – a choice which will often result in different responses. The persona in this poem represents initial regret. Such can be seen in the quote “And sorry I could not travel both.” Choices are an inevitable part of life, and will usually determine one’s future path. The traveler in this poem is confronted with such a decision and the title portrays that people will often choose “the one less traveled by” to add a challenge in their life.

The main emotional experience gained on this journey is the issue of trust, and the ability to accept. This is eminent through the acceptance of Briony, one of the Crafty – of who people were taught to fear and hate.

This novella is written in the third person, allowing periodic insight on the impact the journey has had on each person. An example of this is from Lady Lisandre, who was impressed on us as a snobbish, conceited princess, with a narrow view of life. However, by the end of the text responders view her as a matured adult. This is eminent in a comment she makes to a servant “…everything’s not right in the world…I’ve seen a lot…and I never knew…” This quote portrays that physical journeys do often result in giving the traveler a better understanding of life, and can often result in a change in personality.

“They left the vine wreathed cottage and mansion on the hill / The houses in the busy streets where life is never still.” So begins the poem “The Women of the West” which pays homage to the women who left comfortable city lives to go with their husbands as pioneers of the Western districts, over the mountains and across “the never ending sameness of the never ending plains” to live in “Slab built, iron roofed homesteads on some lately taken run” or “a camp beside the embankment of a railway just begun”. With no women friends to confide in, hard work and harsh weather “the slow years rob the nameless grace that never comes again”. Theirs was a journey physically demanding without plause or praise – “for love they faced the wilderness/ the women of the West” and they helped to shape our nation “For them no trumpet sounds their call, the women f the West”.

These texts, produced over the years as forms of entertainment, have helped me further develop my understanding of the different forms, and the various ways in which journeys can impact the traveler’s lives. However, the most important features that these journeys represent is that they often pose as learning experiences. After all, it is in living that we learn which helps us to move between our destined journeys.

SarahMary

*Procrastination Central*
HSC
ok, even though there's only 2 days 2 go...
Inner journey: Cosi
Image: When the wind blows
Ways of living: Komninos
Close Study of text:We all Fall down
i have notes and essays on most of these. just PM me with ur email addy, and i'll send them to you

Christie35

hi i have essays on
Physical Journeys: Peter Skrzynecki
Dialogue: The Club
Close Study of texts: Witness and
RAW
please PM me with your address and I will send them to you

legallytaouk

SarahMary said:
ok, even though there's only 2 days 2 go...
Inner journey: Cosi
Image: When the wind blows
Ways of living: Komninos
Close Study of text:We all Fall down
i have notes and essays on most of these. just PM me with ur email addy, and i'll send them to you
heey sorry it dusn let me PM u for sum reason... weird.. anyways ur WE ALL FALL DOWN notes look oh so appealing!!! hehe.. can u plz send them too meee

and if anyone else has notes on WE ALL FALL DOWN, TRUMAN SHOW or EDUCATING RITA... please dont hesitate to send them to me.. my e-mail is legallytaouk@hotmail.com

Christie35

Help Please

Does anyone have essays on "Witness"? Please, I'm really stuck! Can you just post them up here, or PM me? PLEASE!

Stephanieee

HSC
Modern Hot Chic said:
for those doing Physical journeys, I read an article called 'Jeremy's Footsteps'. Is this a good enough summary?

Physical journeys can also provide spiritual guidance and an opportunity to feel released. Such as example is the article "In Jeremy's footsteps". In response to her son's death, a mother embarks on a pilgram, a journey prposed to provide spiritual growth.

Physical journeys may also provide distractions from grief, overwhelming emotional experiences which threaten to consume you. The journey undertaken by this mother enables her to "tell my story, Jeremy's story..." and allows her to share her pain instead of bottling it up inside.
I'm doing that text aswell
have you got the orriginal text aswell?

obimoshman1234

the one and only
HSC
need helps on my module a essay

so if u people could mabye look over and give me some pointers on how i could edit it and make it better that would be great

obimoshman1234

the one and only
HSC
well if u look at the post before my bump i has the essay attached to it and it says dialogue so its module A

dont worry about looking at it now its to late

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)