On line Study Group (1 Viewer)

lilmzqt

+.~*Special*~.+
HSC
i actually donot have any on RAW. in class it was just discussions so i remember it but dont actually have notes...that how my english classes are pretty much.......listen to teacher talking and talking....im tryng to get some done though so if i do i'll post here.

MouNtY

i'm do physical journeys: rabbit proof etc.......and institution and personal experience: raw etc....and poetry of wilfred owen so yeah

disco_dave

is the disco_king!
HSC
i dont think anyone is doing anything the same as me... im doing:

AOS: Peter Skrzynecki
Modules: Robert Cormier (We all fall down)
Image (Truman Show)
Text and Society (into the world "educating rita")

Not sure if i will be able to post any notes between now and HSC... >holy its only a few days away.. off this stupid thing i get and do some more study.
NITE

miss-teek

13 / 20

Trial Essay- "The Club"

Within the study of "Experince through Language: Dialogue", the portrayal of human interaction has been effectively shown through the usage of dialogue. Dialogue can tell a lot about a person's personality, moods and viewpoints on a particular matter.

In "The Club", there is a lot of disrespect between the characters. This is shown through the use of insults, manipulative language, sarcasm, threats and commands. For example, Gerry is portrayed a very manipulative "oily little weael." He tends to act two - faced and manipulates people into doing his will through their actions. He is very sly, and he convinces people that he is on their side, when, really, the only person Gerry is interested in is himself. For examply, when Ted suggests at the begining of the play that they accept Laurie's resignation, Gerry is supportive of this idea, admitting that is is very "tempting". However, when it comes to his interation with Laurie, Gerry 'crawls' to hime by saying "We'd find it very hard to replace you, Laurie."

Ted Parker is a man who considers himself avove everyone else, because of his presidency of the club. Thus, he tends to use overruling language such as "Shut up", and he is confident that he can battle through anything. An examply of this would be when Ted is being sued for assault. Gerry, like many of the other characters, believe that Ted should quit, mainly because most of them (except Laurie) can only think about the damage it will do to the club's reputation. Gerry tries to coax Ted into resigning, and this is displayed in the quote "I'm sure the committee will support you if you want to battle this through..." Gerry says this in a manipulative way, to try to convince Ted to do the very opposite of what he is aying, because Gerry is certain that Ted does not stand a chance of 'standing up tall', should he decide to battle the lawsuit through to the end.

Insults are very common in this text, and this again shows the lack of respect between the characters. However, these verbal violations do not appear to have an impact on the characters. Examples of this are the insults which are thrown between Ted and Laurie. This helps create the feeling of intense dislike between the characters. For example, Laurie calls Ted a "clown" and "that little cretin", while Ted calls Laurie a "bastard" and a "dead duck".

Jock is portrayed as a gullible, sarcastic and threatening character who is always 'quick to rise to the occasion'. This can be seen when Ted informs him at the begining of the play that the players on the football team are threatening to strike if the committee accepts Laurie's resignation, "Strike? I'll give the bastards strike!"

Women appear very little within this play. Yet when they do, most of the characters show very little respect for them. For example, when the play opens, Ted comes in and asks Gerry how his wife is. "Sick" replies Gerry. "That's great. Still sick?" This response by Ted displays lack of respect for Gerry, in that he asks a question, but could not be bothered to listen for the response. However, when Laurie comes in and asks Gerry howhis wife is, and when Gerry answers "Sick", Laurie is portrayed as geniune when he says "Give her my love".

In an interview with 'B' magazine, the sexy and successful Hollywood movie star, Johnny Depp, is portrayed as a loving, compassionate and caring father. This can be detected by the quote "...because I don't want to take anything away from my kids..." when he is replying to a question to the effect of "How did you not get mobbed?"

In "The Lord of the Rings", the traditions and culture of two different races is noticed between Aragorn, a man, and Pippin, a hobbit. "Gentleman, we do not stop till nightfall" this is what Aragorn's reaction is when the hobbits stop to eat some food. "What about breakfast?" asks Pippin incrediously, knowing very well that they have already had one, which Aragorn confirms for the audience, "We've had one, yes. But what about second breakfast?" When Aragorn gives Pippin an odd look, and turns away, Pippin is bewildered, because Hobbits love to eat, and tend to have at least seven meals a day. Merry, a companion, tells Pippin that he is very doubful that Aragorn would know about second breakfast. "What about Elevenses? Luncheons? Afternoon tea? Dinner? Supper? He knows about them, doesn't he?" Pippin still refuses to believe that Aragorn is oblivious to a hobbit's love for food. "I wouldn't count on it" replies Merry. At the end of this scene, Aragorn replies to Pippin's inquiries by throwing an apple back to him. This piece of dialogue is very humorous to an audience.

In the movie "Pirates of the Caribbean", Captain Jack Sparrow is portrayed as a humourous character. He approaches serious situations with a humorous viewpoint. For example, when Jack asks Will how far he would go to save Elizabeth, and Will says "I would die for her", Jack replies "Oh, good" in a care - free, humorous tone. This displays that Jack is a very carefree character, and in his interaction with other characters, this is displayed as he is rarely serious. This can be seen when Jack threatens Elizabeth, and demands for his belongings. He requests Elizabeth to get them and dress him. "Easy on the goods, Darling" is his reaction when Elizabeth ties Jack's belt around his waist. This remark indicates a sexual content, but it also helps to ease the situation and distract the soldiers from their tacsk, which is to capture Jack and hang him in the Gallows.

In conclusion, it can thus be seen that "The Club" and the two related materials have effectively represented human interaction through the use of dialogue, displaying the effects these have on the audience, and on other characters.

18 / 20 - Assessment Task

"It is possible to benefit personally from experiences in institutions." Comment on this statement with reference to the excerpts from the fil SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION and the core text, RAW.

"Shawshank Rdemption" and "Raw" arey very similar. They both give audiences looks into people's lives who have broken the law and have been sent to a "correctional facilty". It is here where Andy in "Shawshank Redemption" and Brett in "Raw" experience the valuse of friendship and learn to deal with unfamilar emotions.

In the movie "Shawshank Redemption" Andy experiences life behind prison walls, and though it may feel like a different world, he learns that people in there are tough. In one excerpt reviewed, Andy encounters an elderly man, Brooks. It is seen here that Brooks is a compassionate man. This is expressed when Brooks asks Andt for a bit of food and feeding it to an injured bird who resides in his pocket, explaining that the bird fell out of it's nest and Brook was "...gonna look after him..." until the bird healed. From this, Andy and the audience learn that jail is a prison, and may strip people of their personal belongings and torture them, but it cannot extinguish one's compassion.

In discovering this, one may agree with the statement "It is possible to benefit personally from experiences in institutions." and further state that a person may learn from other people the true value of compassion, positive thinking and many other emotions.

When Brett first arrives at The Farm in "Raw", he is determined to disobey the rules which Sam has set. When he meets Josh, Brett absolutely despises the amount of respect Josh, and many of the other boys, have for Sam. Brett clearly sees Sam as the enemy "...and you never got friendly with the enemy." However, as time passess, Brett begins to respect Sam - not so much as an authority figure, but as an aqquaintance. Thus, Brett learns to have respect for others - and it will be returned.

"I liked Andy from the start...[it was like] he had an invisibilty cloak shielding him from...this place." In the first excerpt displaying friendship, Red expresses admiration towards Andy for his positive attitude in consideration of the negative attitude towards life which many of the prisoners appear to possess. In this sequence, it is Red who personally benefits from his encounter with Andy as he is greatly affected by the positive aura which surronds Andy, realising that perhaps if his situation was looked at from a different perspective, things may not seem as bad.

"They [his parents] were good people and the only ones who'd stuck by him. He didn't know why." Throughout Brett's time at the Farm, he learns about the impact of love. It may be acceptable to assume that Brett realises that his parents stick by him out of their love for him. Brett is overcome by the emotion of love a few times, thus learning what love really means. This is an emotion which some people may never experience, but for most people love is the best experience of all.

"I think he did it just to feel good again, if only for a short while." In the second exerpt which portrays friendship, Andy proposes to help a prison gaure on a condition that the guard will supply beer for his friends. As Andy watches them, he begins to smily. The experience here from which Andy benefits has to do with the helping of his friends by supplying them with a luxury they had long since been denied.

During the courst of the nover, there is an unspoken bond of friendship between Brett and Josh. This is not so much expressed in direct words but is displayed in the development of trust between them, particulary when Josh admits to Brett that "[he] was raped." As well as friendship, Brett learns the value of trust.

In these two texts, the main characters experience possibly a lot more then they would in the 'outside' world. Characters learn to rely on one another, to help each other out and protect one another. Characters in these texts have displayed the benefits of being 'sentenced' to an institution. Whil we think institutions are all tightly controlled, a closer look shows us that they appear to be more helpful than one will make out.

Gemstone

Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone would be able to help me with identifying techniques. I find this is my biggest problem. I can tell you the story and what happens in it and all that's going on but I can't tell you how. Anyway my texts are

Inner Journeys - Cosi
Image - Truman Show
Wilfred Owen
Instiutions and Personal Experience - Raw

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Gemma

MouNtY

my trial marks sucked so much ass it wasn't funny....so i don't think i'll be posting that any time soon hahaha

hot n spicy

does any1 do these topics for standard english

for dialogue the club
for close study of text Briar Rose
for physical journeys Rabbit Proof Fence
ways of living Komninos by the kupful

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)