On Sparta (1 Viewer)

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
From sanchez#1
Ancient Sparta

Spartan government was a number of systems that acted in a ?harmonious whole? ? Cartledge

?Spartan government was arranged in a hierarchy? ? Welch

The Gerousia acted as a ?kind of ballast? ? Plutarch

The Ephors were a ?pragmatic device to ensure the monarchy?s perpetuation? ? Cartledge

?The different elements acted as checks and balances to each other? ? Cartledge

?The boys learned to read and write no more than was necessary? ? Plutarch

Boys were able to ?accommodate themselves more readily to anything put before them? ? Xenophon

Xenophon is a ?pro-spartan Athenian exile? ? Cartledge

At the temple of Artemis Orthia Plutarch ?witnessed many of them dying under the lashes?[/QUOTE]

On sparta (women)

Asquithian-

Spartan women had lotsa time to them sleves becasue of the servitude of helots around their house.
Unlike the res of greece they were active in Spartaqn society. They did not riase their own children this was done helot maids...Therefore they had much time. Many Spartan women aspired to be like helen form homers illiad... who was famous for her beauty education and outspokeness. The spartans belied she was a god , and in line with spartan religious practice, they believed that gods or semi gods such as Helen could help then in their daily lives. According to Herodotus 6.61 a a lady was nursing a child spartan girl who was from a rich family but was really ugly so she took her to the Shrine of helen at Phobus. Were she met helen and then the baby became beautiful or something. According to Parker the relationship with the gods in sparta was based on mutual respect. That the gods would help then in any ligitimate venture.
Young femaleswere encouraged to be physically fit in order to be able to give birth to healthy new spartan warriors.They participated in running and athletics and often excercised naken and would laugh at boys who were underdeveloped or skinniny.

The poet Alcman composed poems of that praise Young spartan women of their natural beauty. He calles them Parthaneai songs to be. Then can been seen in Alman fragment 12. This shows a frank appreciation of the beauty of spartan girls.

Adult female spartan women would advise their husdbands, supervise the helots and often conduct general household financies as the men were often away...Women came to own around 40% of Spatan real estate due to spartan inheritecne laws.

Women banquated...participapted in hourse racing and according to herodotus when were asked a quesation...they gave their repsonce very loudly and in public.

Women also were their to mock men if they did something wrong to encourage them to do better. However they would be their to congradualte on success.

Women were often only seen as something that gave birth...they were subject to bride by capture..were they were kidnapped at night...had their head shaved...they were also dressed in boys cloths

On government

Sparta is a DAM

Democracy (Apella...V Erenburg or assesbly)
Autocracy (Gourusia or filled with gerontes)
Monarchy( the kings the agidae and euripontidae)

The kings were part of the Gurosia and hecne could influecne policy in their own way. 28 members in the G including the two kings (Euripontidae and AgIdae)

The king has special rights...that is outlined i herodotus 6.65 ie has to reciveve double portion at dinner...the hides of the animals at sacrefices...he must sit first etc

The gourosia proposed legsiation and the apella voted on it...the spartans summerised their attitude to law what they called 'nomos'
Ephores also made up spartan government. There were 5 of them elected annually for the appella. Famous one was chilon from the mid 6th century...

they direcected public policy. protected the kings ie like magistartes....According the Xenophone Spartan sociey 8 Ephores were very helpful and always 'ran insetad of walked to help.'

The system was based on respect...the gourosia had the greatest right of veto.

on kleroi

each individidual spartiate citizen, at birth, was given a plot of land 'klaros' and helots to work it. This land could not be sold as it was governent land and with 'public slaves' according to cartlege. If the perosn who owned the Klaros died it was passed down the family hierarchy. If there were no men it went to the spartan woman (even though women where not citizens and could not vote in the appella...they came to own around 40% of property by the end of the 5ht cenutry)
Helots worked this kleros and had to give an alotted amoun to their spartiate master...if there master took to much they were liable to be cursed in public.

only_if

Sparta Study Notes

Hey guys,
Doing my study notes for Sparta. COuld anyone tell me about the economic structure and organisation of Sparta? (other than the Kleros)

Also, what was their agriculture like?

Thanks a lot,

MissSavage29 said:
i really liked doing sparta, they were really interesting society

the 2004 hsc questions wern't hard at all. They were ones that had been done several times before. nothing really suprising
I'm doing my HSC this year, any pointers? I feel confident about Sparta ( touch wood), but i am worried about the questions they will ask, do you think they'll change for this year?

Last edited by a moderator:

MissSavage29

Resident Priss
HSC
I'm doing my HSC this year, any pointers? I feel confident about Sparta ( touch wood), but i am worried about the questions they will ask, do you think they'll change for this year?
Sparta is a really good society - its not difficult because the quesitons they ask are realy just hte ones they have done numerous times before. With Sparta the best thing to do is do all the old questions and have a good look at some of hte more difficult ones - like the agriculture and so forth.

popular questiosn include the roles and privilleges of the kings - which you should get to know like hte back of your hand - definitions and knowing some odd facts for the first 2 questions like the name of 2 spartan kings, or two spartan women, or two spartan poets.

you can get some really good questions off the offical BOS site - have a look at all the old papers and so forth. And make sure that you do your study notes by the syllubus becuase they really just reword the dot points.
You wont have any trouble with sparta if you just revise and check over everythign you do.

only_if said:
Hey guys,
Doing my study notes for Sparta. COuld anyone tell me about the economic structure and organisation of Sparta? (other than the Kleros)

Also, what was their agriculture like?

Thanks a lot,
mmm i had to do an essay on this before... with economics you could talk about how women used to inherit land - when the husbands were living in the barraks they controlld the finances for each houses

agricultre was very important to the spartans. There was a festival for it - which i have forgotten the name of... but it was the one they skiped marathon for - which shows just how important it was to them.

the helots did all the agricultral work - a spartan woudl never to this

Spartans engaged in trade with other nations - there is archilogical evidence to prove this - we know that they traded witht he celts because of hte Burial chamber at Vix - the princess that was burried there had a large wine thing made by the spartan helots - there are also some ancient sources which mention this too.
there was also something about coins from memory... i dont think (could be wrong) that spartans had money but for some reason i seem to think they had coins from rome.

Last edited by a moderator:

repz

HSC
does anybody know where ic an actually download or get past questions i want more of them to do
any direct links from board of studies web site?
i cant seem to find it

miss_depp

The Graduate
HSC
Herodotus quotes...

I'm looking for a quote by Herodotus (I am pretty sure it exists) about women inheiriting land and wealth, does anyone know of it?

Magister

HSC
N/A
Re Sparta

Why not look it up in Herodotus?? If you don't have access to a copy, the full text is in translation on line!!

Give it a go!!

googooloo

HSC
????

I don't know about you but I would really like to get my notes down to like 5 pages on Sparta but I am finding it impossible, does anyone have anything of that size, or know how to get it to that size, i don't want to be killing myself with re-reading heaps of pages over and over again.

How and does anyone have any indepth note on the religion I just seemed to have past that area by when I did it, and what is the syllabus for Sparta, i don't have it, and it would really help me out in getting all my HSC notes in order.

p.s before the end of next week if possible.

bind

whoa googooloo, good luck getting your notes down to 5 pages. eep. i suggest making your notes (normal lenght..like all of your info) and then gradually decrease your notes..if you know what i mean? so you reduce it to dot points etc and use triggers rather than large chunks of information which can be hard to remember...i have tha same problem...not wanting to read over all the information again and again, but if you make your notes comprehensively first of all..then reduce them you get your brain into the habit of trying to remember all that info without having it in front of you, which you need to be able to do in the exam! hehe good luck!

im just sorting out my notes now, but when i finish i can send you some info on religion...the syllabus points about religion are:

religion, death and burial, and systems of belief and practice:
-beliefs, practices, organisation and buildings
-relationship with Delphi
-funeral rites for the kings

..and then relgion links in with a few of the othe syllabus points etc. meep meep. hope that helps in some small way. :)

Master Gopher

HSC
MissSavage29 said:
there was also something about coins from memory... i dont think (could be wrong) that spartans had money but for some reason i seem to think they had coins from rome.
They had coinage (apparantly installed by Lycurgus) consisting of fairly large iron bars, this was intended to make them unweildy and discourage the desire to accumulate large amounts of cash...hence most wealth was in the land and produce gained directly from the helots. Thus not a very cash-oriented society.
I don't know about coins from Rome... never heard of that myself 0_o

And here are some notes (I've not got far yet, but these have all got good sources). Social/Gender section is only 2/3 done, but when/if I get more done, I'll post it.

Good luck everyone!!

iamthecoolest

HSC
hey for studying sparta as a society do we have to konw bout the pelleponesian war? thanks in advance

goodrobo

HSC
Re: Herodotus quotes...

miss_depp said:
I'm looking for a quote by Herodotus (I am pretty sure it exists) about women inheiriting land and wealth, does anyone know of it?

I can help you!!
I did an Explain the Roles and Responsibilities of Spartan Kings speech (9.5/10 4th in year woot!) and i included a quote from Herodotus about women inheriting "LAND" im not sure about wealth but.

..ffs...i must have left the speech at home sumwhere..but i remember distinctly that i said something around the lines:

"Spartan Kings acted as lawgivers and judges. Examples of jusicial roles in office include when a Spartan man dies and has no son to inherit his land, the land is then held by the oldest daughter and the Kings choose which Spartan male has the right to marry her".

I feel sorry for women since the beginning of time....name one ancient civilization (or modern) where the women havent been screwed over in some way! Ha i hate feminists

minitrucker

HSC

I am also wandering if anyone has any notes on the pelopensian war, as i am a bit confused about it all, thanks

MissSavage29

Resident Priss
HSC

minitrucker said:
I am also wandering if anyone has any notes on the pelopensian war, as i am a bit confused about it all, thanks
There are notes about the peloponesian wars in the main section of the Bored of Studies webpage - they are located under period studies then look for the ones on the Greek World 500 - 440BC

* part of that course is the peloponesian wars

Also have a look at the NSW HSC online website <hsc.csu.edu.au> under the same topic - they have some good clear notes that will make it a bit easier to understand

Mono!

HSC

minitrucker said:
hey
im doing fouth century 2 death od Philip the Second of Macdon
i know a lil bit from Persinas wars up till the death of Alexander (my personalitiy) anywayz wot don tu know abt? in a nutshell Pelpenian war was a naval power (Athens) fight a land power (sparta) Spartra keep rading Attica and Athens kept attacking Corthian glf and similar place that the Peloponnesian league was vunerable last battle is battle of Aegospotami which Lysander has persian ships and money from Cyrus the younger athenisan wait go 2 shore Lysander and Cyrus capture 170 ou tof 180 ships then blockcsed Athens war ended in 404 probaly not enough detail 4 wot u need but hopefully is a help

lootz

HSC
Thank you so much for posting this it has helped me so much *hug*

tash54kleinman

HSC
hey guys i really need help on this question

Describe the role of the agoge in the education of spartan boys.

HSC
{Sparta is a DAM

Democracy (Apella...V Erenburg or assesbly)
Autocracy (Gourusia or filled with gerontes)
Monarchy( the kings the agidae and euripontidae)}

<------------Just on that, its really more DAM U, because it could also be expressed (and was so by Plutarch) as being an oligarchy (ruled by a few)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)