On the Jellicoe Road (1 Viewer)

HSC
i actually looked at it because i loved her other 2, but the back blurb bit turned me off, but after reading this thread i may have to get it and give it a go...

TunaFish

HSC
Marchetta sure likes to explore the theme of identity, that's for sure.

It's a dramatic change from her other two books in terms of the structure.
& I couldn't put it down till I finished. But I don't know... my friends have been saying so many good things about it and because of that, it hightened my expectations, and On The Jellicoe Road didn't quite live up to them.

But I'd definitely recommend it to everyone. It's an interesting and though-provoking read.

HSC
i'm half way through, and yes, it is amazing, and yes, it is interesting, and yes, it is thought provoking... and i love it so far lol

HSC
I really liked it, the plot got confusing at times but seriously the romantic interest (sorry i forgot his name, so long ago!) was totally hot in my head. Nice.

offwithhercardi

HSC
On the Jellicoe Road is my favourite of her books, cause it's so different from her other work. It was refreshing to read it. :)

fallingstar

HSC
such a touching and heart-breaking book.
would definitely recommend

klaris

HSC
I love Griggs. I love when he just randomly stops the car and they start making out.

I love Raffy.

I just love the book.

It is fantastic.

:)

x.christina

I am actually a cat
HSC
Uni Grad
I love Griggs. I love when he just randomly stops the car and they start making out.

I love Raffy.

I just love the book.

It is fantastic.

:)

yay!
this is like, my second favourite book ever

klaris

HSC
The Santangelo home is like a madhouse...she's the only person I know who gets away with calling Santangelo a 'little shit'...sometimes Santangelo says 'I'm fucking out of here' and his mum warns 'don't you dare swear, you little shit'. We wait for a showdown but it tends not to happen and the only two left in a mess are Jessa and me.

'No, I was waiting for the train. The three-forty seven to Yass. And then you come along and you spoke to me and nobody had looked me in the eyes for years. My mum wouldn't. But I remember you that day and you looked at peace with yourself and it made me reconsider everything I had planned to do. Because I thought to myself, you can't do this to her, not after the Hermit thing.'

Raffy and I spend every night in the Prayer Tree with Santangelo and Griggs. Each time we set an agenda...but it never quite happens. We just end up talking about stuff, like the meaning of life or the importance of karaoke choices.

'We passed Yass about half an hour ago.'
I smile. Three years on and we've moved forward, past the town where the Brigadier found us.
'If you weren't driving I'd kiss you senseless,' I tell him.
Her swerves to the side of the road and stops the car abruptly.
'Not driving anymore.'

<3 <3 <3

I love this book.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Out of the Melina Marchetta books I've read this was my favourite, followed by Looking For Alibrandi, then Saving francesca. I wasn't that keen on the Finnikin of the Rock one.

I love in Jellicoe road how it's confusing at first, but then it all comes together and you end up really satisfied after reading it. Great book!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)