On the verge of giving up. (1 Viewer)

jackthecamel1

HSC
So today I received my Physics results for my second assessment task, which I performed extremely poor (26%) I'm just at the point where I am lost and it feels as though I'm just going to fail all my exams in the future. I am lacking the motivation to study due to the fact that I'm afraid of being disappointed due to the expectations gained from studying. After this exam, I am contemplating as to whether I should join a Physics tutor, though it seems abit too late. I understand the contents but for some reason I am just not able to apply it in an exam. I can say for the fact that I scored such a low mark was due to my many absences this year, especially during physics lessons. This is actually my first post on BoS having read many threads I have decided to create one for myself. Is it too late to be able to attain at least a band 5 in my HSC? I hope to motivate myself to start past papers. Any advice?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Hi there,
First of all, I have to commend you on the fact you realistically confronted a significant root of the problem, which is that you had many absences in this year, including at physics lessons. I think you need to answer the following questions for yourself
1)How many units are you currently on and is HSC physics assumed knowledge for the university degree(s) you are considering of entering into?
2)How has your performance in physics in preliminary been? How many hours do you spend on physics per week?
3)Have you ever asked your teachers for help when you don't understand anything in physics?
4)How much time and effort are you willing to invest into physics to ensure you get a band 5?

I think below are some objective advice I can give you
1)Try to attend physics lessons more often, you need to catch up on lessons you have missed, either by asking your teacher, looking over your friend's notes or even better, do both. Use all resources available to you-including the syllabus-the key document by which you can assess how effective your understanding is

2)You shouldn't start on past papers, because getting 26% indicates you are lacking a fundamental grasp of key concepts and application of these concepts, you need to understand these concepts a lot more, perhaps try to explain these concepts to a classmate or ask a teacher to explain them again, it is only when you can concisely express theories and concepts that shows you understand them thoroughly, do textbook questions before past papers, you need sufficient knowledge to make attempting past papers useful.

3)Motivation comes from yourself, you are only half way, your internal rank, no matter how bad, does not determine your HSC results, half of your mark will come from your own actual performance in the HSC external exam, if you are giving up right now, you have wasted the one and a half year effort you have put into physics, look for intrinsic motivation-no one can motivate you better than you, do you want to have any regrets you would have tried harder by the end of your HSC?

4)One low mark is not the end of the world, I failed my first Maths Extension One exam, got below 50%, and I never let that result defined me, I just kept studying, kept revising my studying method to achieve better understanding, and I came second internally by the end of the year, this story is not meant to be motivational, it is to show you that it is never too late to improve until and unless you think it is and you make it so by continual inaction to change the situation.

5) I have complied a senior study guide that includes sections for science subjects, including physics, that can assist you in your studies:)http://community.boredofstudies.org...how-excel-senior-year-studies-yr-11-12-a.html
Feel free to read through it if you haven't.

6) I would strongly recommend you getting a private Physics tutor ASAP if you want to get up to speed and be on track to achieve your goal.

May you define your own results:) Best wishes for this year:)

jackthecamel1

HSC
Thank you so much for the advice you've given me :) it's made me feel much better now. I've started to practice textbook questions as well as revising on the previous topics, I've also started to study ahead of my class. I have made a study timetable for physics at least 1 hour a day. Before that I was only studying physics whenever I had any upcoming exams which I admit was really bad. Given this I am now certainly more motivated to push myself to achieve a band 5 at least. Physics is a subject I really enjoy but due to my lack of motivation and my marks, I've seemed to lost the passion I once had for it.

I plan on doing Applied Finance and Commerce in uni, so I don't think physics would be the relevant to it. Although I'm afraid that my ATAR would be dragged down due to my poor performance in Physics. As for a private tutor I am currently looking for one around my area, would It be worth it to join a centre and catch up? Or find myself a private tutor ?

Thanks strawberrye :) you are truly the best and your guide has helped me a lot!

xGhanem

HSC
Yeah if you already know the content but don't know how to apply it to the exam, as you said, then do as many past HSC questions as you can, hand that in to a tutor, or a teacher, and receive feedback.
I'm talking about the 5 - 8 marker questions, ones that'll make a difference.

jackthecamel1

HSC
Thank you for your advice xGhanem I've revised the previous topics and have done the questions in the textbook. Hopefully I'll start doing past papers on the weekend.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
lol, you sound like every student in the state right now. everyone (well, most people) are worried about their trials and exams and marks and ranks but in the end, if you really try your best then you've got nothing to worry about.

also instead of generic HSC textbook questions, maybe start looking at some past papers

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)