Once you graduate are you technically a lawyer? or do you have take a bar exam like.. (1 Viewer)

sghguos

HSC
N/A
Once you graduate are you technically a lawyer? or do you have take a bar exam like America and other asian countries.

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
No you need to gain experience and then apply for the board.

It is kind of like being an accountant .....Doing an accounting degree does not make you an accountant, you need to be certified by the CPA.

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
I have such a epic post in mind , but not sure if it's too hard on sgh....

AnimeX

HSC
N/A
Re: Once you graduate are you technically a lawyer? or do you have take a bar exam li

I have such a epic post in mind , but not sure if it's too hard on sgh....
ehh, i'm sure he can take it : p

sghguos

HSC
N/A
Re: Once you graduate are you technically a lawyer? or do you have take a bar exam li

No you need to gain experience and then apply for the board.

It is kind of like being an accountant .....Doing an accounting degree does not make you an accountant, you need to be certified by the CPA.
But what I am saying is if there is there something "like a bar exam" to become a lawyer or is it just practical training from a firm and you get to be a lawyer after a while?

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad

But what I am saying is if there is there something "like a bar exam" to become a lawyer or is it just practical training from a firm and you get to be a lawyer after a while?
Did you read the link I posted?

wannaspoon

ремове кебаб
HSC
Uni Grad

In melbourne, after graduating you have to complete practical legal training "PLT" at either college of law or leo cussens...

it is basically 24 weeks where you go from 9 - 5 and you pay to pretend to be a lawyer so you can get a practicing licence... costs close to $10k to do that shit...

But wait there is more... after graduating you must provide proof that you are of good fame and character (basically you have to prove that you are a fit and proper person to be admitted)... if you are found to not be suitable by the council of legal education's board of examiners you will be refused a practicing licence... If you engage in conduct which hurts your good fame and character as a solicitor or barrister you will struck off by these chaps...

conduct which wont do you any favours include:
- Plagiarism and Collusion,
- Criminal Conviction,
- Insolvency (Bankruptcy),
- Tax evasion,
- etc

However, just because you have done some of these things in the past it doesn't mean you will not be entitled to practice... admission is sort of decided on an ad hoc basis in my opinion... However, I am well aware that the board of examiners don't take anything lightly... Doing this merely entitles you to be a solicitor... If you want to become a barrister, guess what, there's more :haha:

Last edited:

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC

Graduating from a Law degree doesn't automatically grant you the licence to practise law necessary. In most degrees, that will take an extra six-months after you graduate.

I say most degrees because some universities, such as UTS, offer the PLT during the course of your law degree. This will mean that UTS: Law graduates technically graduate as Lawyers.

Azure

Premium Member
HSC

Graduating from a Law degree doesn't automatically grant you the licence to practise law necessary. In most degrees, that will take an extra six-months after you graduate.

I say most degrees because some universities, such as UTS, offer the PLT during the course of your law degree. This will mean that UTS: Law graduates technically graduate as Lawyers.
Not really. Just because you complete PLT does not mean you are automatically a lawyer.

You need to apply to the Legal Profession Admission Board which will then at its discretion admit you into practise in the Supreme Court.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad

Also I believe that lawyers are required to attend a certain amount if seminars per year to keep their practicing certificate?

lawstu

HSC

Also I believe that lawyers are required to attend a certain amount if seminars per year to keep their practicing certificate?
Correct. You must attend an adequate number of MCLE (Mandatory Continuing Legal Education)/CPD (Continuing Professional Development) units / hours / seminars per annum in order to renew your PC.

Some seminars are decent and in fact interesting, but others you sit through simply because you have to do this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)