One scene only in King Lear essay (1 Viewer)

Tim035

HSC
I thought it was just my school but I've noticed numerous school's this year have had their King Lear essay assessment based on analysing just one important scene in King Lear.
Has their been a syllabus update or some kind of change which indicates in this years HSC we will only have to analyse one scene in KL (unlike 2004 where it said 'refer to two scenes in detail') ?.

Is it a smart idea to only prepare and write practice essays that involve one scene??

I really need a definant answer because I've been switching back and fourth these whole holidays between my assessment essay which has only one scene in it and re-writing my essay to include two scenes.

rnitya_25

Abhishek's Rani..
HSC
Yeah you need two major scenes. and the better the scenes are and the mpre significant they are the better so you have alot to write about. Like heaps of people i knew did mainly the scene where lear is distributing his kingdom amongst his daughters..the whole place where he first goes outta control. having two scenes is a must because you most definately will need to talk about them in the hsc. also don't forget about the different productions that you also need to talk about that have been made.

Tim035

HSC
How in depth do we need to talk about specific productions?

My two interpretations besides my own are pyschological and Redemptive Christian. I refer to three actual productions in a brief manner in comparring or contasting my interpretations with their productions (like a sentece or two for each of them). Is that all I need to do or did I need to really need to go into depth and discuss how actual productions actually staged King Lear in terms of costumes or lighting etc?

EDIT: Although I feel I had to do it in a rushed manner, I have managed to implement a second scene into my essay today. Hopefully this pays off in the trials as I have a good feeling the majority of people in my grade are going to just stick to their single scene essays.

passion89

HSC
Make sure you know 2 or more of what you feel are the most important scenes. In my assessment task a couple of weeks back, the question asked for us to analyse 2 key scenes in KL and I chose the storm scene and the opening scene.

Another scene which would probably be of some importance is the end scene.
It definately isn't wise for you to know only 1 scene back to front - make sure you have a few up your sleeve.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
I'd reccomend against memorising just one scene or even two and using that as your text - the question will not neccesarily ask for '2 extracts'(or whatever it said in 04). Instead you should try to have a thorough grasp of the entire play if you can because that is your text and it is possible to recieve specific questions on that text.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)