• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Online Tutoring (1 Viewer)

robertmoz

HSC
N/A
Hi guys

My name is Robert McWilliam and I am qualified teacher. I am based in Perth. I am looking for 3 to 5 students, first in first served who are willing to take part in a trial for online tutoring. The cost will be $10 an hour, normal prices $20 an hour. The subjects I can teach are General Mathematics, Mathematics Extenstion 2/3, accounting and business related subjects and some computing subjects.

The technology that is used is combination of MSN Messenger and Skype if necessary. I have a web cam setup so you can see that I don't look too dodgy in my opinion. Others of you may doubt that.

My teaching approach is to go through the problems you have with the topic and explain the topic in a step by step manner. If you have any specific problem, I will look at the syllalbus that your teacher has given you and teach the next topic coming up.

I hope I can be of some assistance in your studies. My email is robertmoz@yahoo.com.au.

Robert McWilliam

Last edited:

A1

HSC
N/A
Hi Robert.
With all due respect, have you been trying online tutoring for a while now?
We tried this in the past but found that it offers no way near the personal interaction that some students require, and therefore we stopped this service. As a teacher you would know that in some cases you actually need to write something down for a student and explain to them as you do. This is very hard to achieve online. If you have this problem I would suggest to point the webcam on the piece of paper so the student can see what you are writing (if you already do not do so).
Since internet tutoring is quite an abstract phenomenon, some students may have unrealistic expectations. I note that you are offering a discount for the first hour, however, if I may suggest, perhaps you should give the student the first 30 minutes or hour free, so that they can see if the online tutoring style is appropriate for them. If not, they can always back out and then they won't have the feeling that they were ripped off. Sometimes it's better not to have a reputation, then have a bad reputation.
These are my suggestions and comments, and I hope that you take them as such, rather than see me as being a prick trying to cause you problems.

robertmoz

HSC
N/A
To A1

Thanks for your comments.

In regards about the free trial, my flatmate was saying the same thing so I am offfering anyone who wants one, a free 1 hour trial.

In regards to writing stuff down, Microsoft messenger has a white board that you can share with students so they can see what you are writing. They can also write the problem they are having in Maths and how they would attempt it. I can then see any errors, just like having a piece of paper next to you.

I hopefully I can be of service to people.

Robert McWilliam

A1

HSC
N/A
Hi Robert.
Good for you then. As I said we tried it a few years ago, but then the technology was not as good as it is today. It seems the set up you have might well do the job. Sounds impressive and I wish you all the best.
I'm an accounting tutor and I am current with the VCE syllabus. If you need resources, advice or just want to chat, then let me know. I also have a webcam.

I can be contacted on MSN on the email msn@a1tuition.com.au

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)