Only 3 Subjects In A Semester ? (1 Viewer)

babez_hamp

HSC
N/A
i was wondering what happens if you only do 3 subjects in the 1st semester and then the regular 4 in 2nd semester ? can you go through to 2nd year ? if not, can you do the subject in summer semester and then go through to 2nd year ?

thanks...

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm doing 3 subjects a semester.
If you do that, you wont graduate in normal time. You'll have to take extra semesters to catch up on the subjects you haven't done. Not many subjects are offered in summer school.

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
uh at mq, for final year students, you only need 18cp at 300 level.. which equates to 6 subjects... so thats 3 units per semester...

i think its different with all uni's..........

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
I was talking to an old lady, erhm "mature-aged student" yesterday whilst photocopying who is only doing 12 cp (2 subjects) a semester. If youre in no hurry to finish uni, go for it.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
natstar said:
I was going to do 5 this semester, cuz i got an invitation to do a new marketing sub major *felt special*. Decided that 5 would be hell tho
A uni friend of mine is doing 5 subjects this semester, cause he failed a subject in first semester, even though hes done the subject before, he says 5 subjects is really hard to do. I can barely sometimes cope with 4 subjects :rolleyes:

LazyBoy

HSC
babez_hamp said:
i was wondering what happens if you only do 3 subjects in the 1st semester and then the regular 4 in 2nd semester ? can you go through to 2nd year ? if not, can you do the subject in summer semester and then go through to 2nd year ?

thanks...
if you do, then you will be classed as a part time student

shannonm

HSC
N/A
If you at unsw
normal courseload is 24units a session

if you do 3 subjects each 6uoc, you do 18units in session 1 which is still classified as a FULL TIME student.
you may do the subject you missed out in session 1 during summer as long as it is run during summer. but usually session 2 subjects are run during summer

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Aside, a good way to rort the concession elegibility while being a part time student is to enrol in a full-time load, get your concession/student card, then drop the subjects back to part-time load.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Query: If you underload in first year (say norm is 4 per sem and you do 3 per sem) and then overload in second year (say 5 per sem... but the extra courses are 2nd year, not first year), is this allowed?

Essentially you're doing the same amount of credit, but cutting out some first year subjects in favour of 2nd year ones.

Also, is it possible to skip some 1st year subjects and do 2nd year ones instead, in first year?

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
Well usually even doing only 3 subjects per semester is still classed as a full time load (well it is at UTS). I find 4 subjects a fair bit of workload, so 5 subjects would be a bit too much. Depends on the subjects though.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
Slide Rule said:
Query: If you underload in first year (say norm is 4 per sem and you do 3 per sem) and then overload in second year (say 5 per sem... but the extra courses are 2nd year, not first year), is this allowed?

Essentially you're doing the same amount of credit, but cutting out some first year subjects in favour of 2nd year ones.

Also, is it possible to skip some 1st year subjects and do 2nd year ones instead, in first year?
At UWS 4 is the norm and people generally don't overload and underload.

But if you did happen to do 5 subjects in second year, you can still do first year subjects. At the moment, I'm doing 2 first year subjects - becuase they are not related to the tourism and environment subjects which I am studying. However, its thoroughly noted that you can't do more than 10 introductory subjects (level 100 subjects). And you have to do a minimum of 6 (level 300 subjects).

You can't skip first year subjects if they are cores, because some subjects are pre-requisites for subjects which may follow in second and third year.

I don't know if other uni's are like this, but this is just a general discription of the UWS system.

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
which uni?

i know at mq, if you want to overload at all during any semester you need approval... but why would you want to under-load on first year subjects and overload on 2nd year subjects? i'd thought most people would want to max out how many first year subejcts they could do because its easier....

shannonm

HSC
N/A
Slide Rule said:

most degrees have core subjects (2 elec subjects, discrete, maths 1a, physics 1a for EE). you cannot randomly not do maths 1a, and then pick up (eg) 2nd year complex analysis

If you underload in first year (say norm is 4 per sem and you do 3 per sem) and then overload in second year (say 5 per sem... but the extra courses are 2nd year, not first year), is this allowed?
technically it is allowed, assuming you meet the prereqs for the 2nd year course (eg maths 1a (session 1) is a prereq for maths 1b (session 2) is a prereq for complex analysis, however you WILL need to do that first year subject you skipped, in order to graduate.

unlikely/impossible for you to simply 'cut out' random courses

Also, is it possible to skip some 1st year subjects and do 2nd year ones instead, in first year

yes if you meet the prereqs, example circuits and sys has session 1 elec eng 1 as a prereq, circuits/sys is run in both session 1 and session 2, so upon doing eleceng1 in session 1, you may do circuits and systems (ELEC2031) a 2nd year course, in first year.
however you are not skipping the courses, simply postponing them.

another thing, if you try to be a smartass and rearrange your degree (recomended 2nd year courses in first year, blah blah) you'll probably encounter timetable problems and need to either have a lecture clash or spend another year or overload or something

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Thanks. That's what I wanted to know.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)