Onshore processing (1 Viewer)

Chemical Ali

지금은 소녀시대
HSC
N/A
http://www.canberratimes.com.au/news/national/national/general/onshore-processing/2322593.aspx

The Government will process asylum seekers onshore after failing to get enough backing for its so-called Malaysia solution.
However, Prime Minister Julia Gillard said the Government had not given up on its deal with Malaysia, which would involve sending 800 asylum seekers to that country in exchange for 4000 registered refugees.

The legislation will no longer be brought before parliament for a vote, meaning Labor will avoid the embarrassment of being the first government to lose a vote in the House of Representatives in about 80 years.

The announcement comes after Ms Gillard called a snap Caucus meeting this afternoon to consider Cabinet's decision on its Malaysia people-swap legislation.

Debate on the bill was delayed this morning as the government decided what to do after key independent Tony Crook confirmed he would not support the Government.

After the Caucus meeting, Ms Gillard said the Coalition’s opposition to the bill meant her Government, and any future government, would be unable to process asylum seekers offshore.

“The Government remains committed to the arrangement with Malaysia, we believe that it is the best policy outcome for this country. That it would give the maximum deterrence effect, that it would give us the maximum ability to deter people from getting on leaky boats and risking their lives,” she said.

“That means the Government will continue to press the Opposition to pass the changes to the Migration Act before the Parliament. The Leader of the Opposition is fond of saying I should make various phone calls … Let me say this to the Leader of the Opposition: If he wants offshore processing to continue, and he says he does … then he only needs to make one phone call. He needs to ring this Prime Minister and say he will vote for the amendments before the Parliament”.

She again warned that the decision could mean an increase in the number of asylum seekers coming to Australia by boat.

“We are not going to start forecasting numbers, but we do believe that there is a real risk that we will see more boats as a result of Mr Abbott preventing there being offshore processing arrangements,” she said.

Chemical Ali

지금은 소녀시대
HSC
N/A
meanwhile

Dear Chemical,
Thank you for signing our petition and helping to sink offshore processing!
It was an amazing moment yesterday when Julia Gillard conceded that offshore processing is off the table for now, and instead, asylum seekers who arrive by boat fleeing war, terror and violence, will be processed in Australia.

Just two days earlier, Amnesty International's Secretary General Salil Shetty delivered your name, along with the names of more than 15,000 other Australians to Immigration Minister Chris Bowen demanding this very result.

I'd just like to thank you once more for taking action to protect the rights of refugees. Our work is far from over, and we'll be in touch shortly with more updates on the many challenges we face fighting for human rights here in Australia and worldwide.
Alex Pagliaro
Refugee Campaign Coordinator
Amnesty International Australia
feels good, man

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
Occupy melbourne! Occupy sydney! Occupy AUSTRALIA! It is a nasty capitalistic hellhole of misery and inequality!

Oh and by the way thousands of people risk their lives trying to come here every year for some reason and we need to protect them and junk, but anyway, AUSTRALIA SUCKZ!!

Last edited:

James Bluntus

HSC
Good stuff.

I think both major parties to not even consider on shore processing is a disgrace. I am a member of one of those major parties and I can say that this is a victory for common sense.

Chemical Ali

지금은 소녀시대
HSC
N/A
Good stuff.

I think both major parties to not even consider on shore processing is a disgrace. I am a member of one of those major parties and I can say that this is a victory for common sense.
Young Liberal detected

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
I'm not a liberal either

Australian politics are the worst and being a part of any party (unless you're an enormous hack (which I'm guessing you are)) is incredibly stifling to any sort of free venture, lest you step out of line with the party you get reeled back in

it's truly disgusting

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
Very good mate.... I'm guessing your a liberal?

Hows not being able to stand on your own two feet relying on the Nationals support?
Also what the fuck are you talking about

Greens

Oakshot

Windsor

yeah nice two feet you've got shitbrains

Lentern

HSC
It's preferable but let's not have any delusions about locking people up Woomera or Villawood for years and treating them like criminals is somehow an act of compassion.

James Bluntus

HSC
I'm not a liberal either

Australian politics are the worst and being a part of any party (unless you're an enormous hack (which I'm guessing you are)) is incredibly stifling to any sort of free venture, lest you step out of line with the party you get reeled back in

it's truly disgusting
I would prefer to use the term Labor loyalist, but yes. I find, I agree with the Labor Party on most things and if I don't agree, we are free to speak our mind. Unlike the LNP in Queensland that don't even have a leader in Parliament.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)