OnSTAGE 05 (1 Viewer)

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
Hey who's gone 2 see onstage yet? I went on monday 2 see program b and it was really good... specially the first group lmao they were soooo hilarious.... so what did other ppl think of it?

Trigger189

XYLENE-FREE ZONE
HSC
I watched Program B on Saturday and was very dissapointed - this was the shittest OnStage I have seen - everything was so formulaic and unoriginal - standard drama performances. My group was rejected from OnStage, and I was hoping to gain some clarity - but going just rubbed salt in the wound. I am being totally objective here - I'm not a close-minded person, and I got opinions from other people who feel the same as me. Compared to "Jitter-Buffs" - you're "favourite" piece - my piece was infinitely superior. I compare our 2 performances because we were a group of 4 guys as well, and had many similar comedic elements - such as the sexual innuendo everyone in my audience found so hilarious. Stuck in an elevator? Not original - I have seen that done plenty of times. The story itself was just so dull. I have gotten in trouble on this board before for thinking I'm better than everyone, but seriously the selection panel for Onstage must have no dramatic sense at all.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a total asshole - after all, I thoroughly enjoyed Newtown - both Luke's individual - which I thought was astounding, and their group, which although wasn't very original, in fact I've seen that idea done in workshops, drama festivals - it was their characters that made it great. I thought the people from Newtown were the only people who could act.

And that individual who played a hippie - no focus! Did she even BLOCK her piece? I got marked down considerably for moving around and using my arms too much - and my teacher worked me like a slave until I got it right, which wasn't until the actual day! I worked so hard, blocked every god damn line - took me forever! But here, she paced madly and flailed her arms around with every inflection, every exclamation, every sentence! I don't care if its "her character" - playing a hippie doesn't mean you have to be on the move continously like you're on a sugar attack - basically no awareness of her performance space. How could the markers not pick up on this!

And the Cloudstreet monologue? I suspect he was selected for his inventive use of a swing rope - gag! And don't get me started on the last group - where they played balance, pitch, tone etc. And the "black hole" army one was a blatant rip off of last years Nutcase - and the girl in the group was shit.

These groups all had great group dynamic, team work, movement and were very energetic - however all of them were so standard and unoriginal. I thought maybe we were rejected for some sexual innuendo, but after watching all those sex jokes I guess I was wrong.

My point is - don't be discouraged if you don't make it into OnStage - obviously they are very picky with what they choose - and are looking for something VERY particular. Just remember - OnStage sucks balls.

BTW, if you think I'm up myself - I'm not - I'm just bitter. And I ended up with 96/100 (with no study for the drama exam), so I think me thinking I'm good has a little merit.

And one of my Group Members got into ONSTAGE for his Absurdist script called "Jean's Machine" - anyone happen to see it. At least he made it! God bless that young talent!

Last edited:

_muse_

Come on join the joyride
HSC
im going to see it tomorrow YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
i actually agree with trigger about the army performance, coz i didnt like it much at all. and the girl in it was pretty bad, i dont see why she got a high mark... but i liked all the rest of them... say what you will about jitter buffs i thought it was great, just the way they used that one square of light was really clever. the cloudstreet one wasnt that strong in the performance ability department but i still liked it anyway, the idea was pretty good i thought. overall last years was probably better but then this years seemed to have more variety. that music one was great! they used the stage well and it was funny without being over the top ha ha ha hilarious which was good in a way because after a while you get sick of the same sorts of jokes over and over. but yeah, overall i loved it!! i want to go n see program a now. yay!!!

the only thing that really pissed me off was that the stupid seymour centre ticket people double booked our schools seats, so when we got there, there was another school sitting where we were meant 2 be coz they obviously got there b4 us. so we all split up n found seats elswhere n got harrased by ushers every 10 minutes to move, even though no one else was trying to sit there. jeez i mean its not our problem if the ticket ppl cant realise that they've made a mistake... what were we supposed to do? sit in the other schools laps? they had as much right to be there as us, so...oh well its over now, but i just had to bring that up.

Logain

aka Will, Skis, Willskis
HSC
I'm going on Saturday night, looking forward to it muchly. If the performances are half as entertaining as last years, it'll still be a great show. Plus I get a free trip to Sydney, away from hicksville.

Any notable names amongst the lineup? I'm not sure if we're seeing Program A or Program B.

hayleybron

HSC
i saw program A yesterday.. quiet disapointing really. a girl i know was in it (and did an awesome job) but alot of the groups wernt up to scratch (my teacher blamed schoolies and killing brain cells).

Trigger189

XYLENE-FREE ZONE
HSC
Haha, glad people agree with me. My sister also watched it today with her class, I come home and she's like "OnStage fucking sucked"

Last edited:

whitneyfaith

woop whoop whoop
HSC
I just got back from Sydney last night. Saw OnStage on Tuesday night. Some of it was good...some of it not so good.
One with clowns just scared me a little bit.
The monologue from 'Bombshells' was one of the highlights, Newtown girl I think?
The GP about old people I didn't like. Byron was a bit disappointing last year and they did nothing to dispell the rep this time round.

The guy who did Dorian Grey didn't get the greatest response in my opinion. Alot of people were laughing during the climactic part of his piece, which, while slightly funny was meant to be taken seriously i think. I also think he may have cut it short?

AndrewS

HSC
Trigger189 get over it dood

Trigger 189.......man where do i start???.........!!! get over it!!!

stop having a winge about it! man those school are there because they r good!! dont u think maybe u wernt good enough coz why rnt u there???

I went and saw programme "B" and i thought it was excellent as did the 99.9% of people there!! so just get over it and let the schools who r in it enjoy the experience coz what have they done to piss you off???,,,they have obviously worked just as hard as you to get where they are so let em have their credit...

and dnt tell every 1 ur no arsehole,,,, your off running your mouth bout other schools and their performances and bout how shit u think they r?? Well whats your definition of arsehole then???

I advise you to just step down from your soap box, telling every 1 how good you are....and hey maybe you are? i wont take that away from you, but we have heard enough......

"End Rant"

Last edited:

Trigger189

XYLENE-FREE ZONE
HSC
Fuck you man, if you're "not even into the whole drama thing" then where the hell do you come from telling me to get over it? I have been studying drama since I was six - I know when something I see is good and I know when something I see is bad. The performances from this years OnStage were totally subpar, unoriginal, and just far too formulaic - it's not good enough to just have good team work and energy. I'm not an asshole, take that as you will - I said I'm just bitter and I mean it, and I have a right to be. OnStage sucked, I'm not going to get over it. You may think it's excellent - but that just means you don't know what's good and you're obviously pleased by mediocrity. And those performers will enjoy the experience whether I let them or not - after all they get to perform in front of thousands of people across the state.

And I know I am coming off as a complete tool, but you don't know me or my story - so I can see why I look like a dickhead. But seriously, I know I'm right - and I will get over it very soon, OnStage can go to hell - not worth my anger.

AndrewS

HSC
Yeah ok man thats fair enough if you thought u were poorly treated that non of mine of ne 1 elses problem,,,just dnt go baggin other acts just to make yourself feel better to the fact u didnt make it,,and i couldnt really give my left testical bout how long u been studying drama for..ive been studying u for an hr and i think ur a tool so ur right..........but hey what do i noe im not into this drama thing right??? Just shut up bout ur 99.fuk noes what UAI u got and 6 yr of pulling ur dick man ok we know you r a fkn genius and r goin to be the next theatre star dude whateva they call em but your not now so get over it!!

No 1 likes a sore loser!!!

END RANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
OnStage isn't the be all and end all of the world.

Trigger don't think your abilities are definied by whether u got into OnStage or not.
But yeh I do think it's slack that you're bagging out other acts. It's been ages since the HSC performances....actually it's been 6 months. I can't even remember anything about my drama performances, so I'm sure the kids who got into OnStage had troubles recalling it. Everyone is still in holiday/party mode.

just my 2 cents.

AndrewS

HSC
Trigger 189..........dnt bother replying,

this could go in forever...ive had may so have u

end rant

_muse_

Come on join the joyride
HSC
bahahaha it was so funny i liked pretty much all the individual ones except the cloudstreet one.. wha?!?!

jitter buffs was freakin hilarious... so was the last one, with Pitch, Balance etc

twas a good day i say :)

Trigger189

XYLENE-FREE ZONE
HSC
Grkstyle, I paid my money for the show and I'm allowed to criticize the performances, just like any movie I paid to see. I thought it was crap, end of story. I'm not fucking stupid, I know it's not the "be all and end all", I've heard all that crap before. No need to lecture me. And Andrew, I don't plan on continuing this with you, you're obviously desperate for the last word so I'll let you have it.

And as a final note, I'm not the only one who feel this way about it, so don't attack me as if I'm some lone babbling sore loser - many people thought it was below standard this year.

Anyway, that was my last reply on the matter, thank you so much Andrew for spitting all over my little chance to vent my bitterness.

Will_Sparky

Left BOS 8/7/2005...
HSC
Guys:

a) Watch your language.

b) You can discuss a production/performance without the need to insult and criticise eachother. Don't make things personal

c) Guys, its onStage, you really can't expect proffesional acting from people who are not proffesional actors!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)