OnSTAGE 05 (1 Viewer)

The_DJ

HSC
Anyone know when onstage finishes? i've been to the last 2 onstage productions and by the sound of things this years group wasn't all up to scratch.. Anyone with details (price, dates, numbers etc..) would be greatly appreciated..

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
The_DJ said:
Anyone know when onstage finishes? i've been to the last 2 onstage productions and by the sound of things this years group wasn't all up to scratch.. Anyone with details (price, dates, numbers etc..) would be greatly appreciated..
It finished last Saturday (12th Feb). I tried ringing up last week for last-minute tickets and they were fully booked out. Very disappointed, but anyway. lol

Skillo

is in a theatre near you
In my blue-light backstage hovel, the theatre.
HSC
My teacher went to go see it last Friday night. She said that they pieces were really good, as in well written, nice concepts. However the execution was poor. She said half of them had little to no grasp on performance skills and how to tell a story well.

vals

I think the bottom line here is everyone who was in OnSTAGE, nominated for it or just anyone who took drama seriously, worked equally as hard to get the final product of their GP and IP.
I was in program A (grey matter) and as Byron said, we found the humour in this thread (oh did we ever), just as long as it dint get personal.
I do agree with Matty tho, do aim for OnSTAGE but don't let it be the be all and end all of drama, kos u can get kick ass results without even being nominated... so rather aim for good results (marks) than a spot on the THRUST stage.
good luck to the class of 05... and thanks to all who came and watched and was super supportive it was a hoot performing for y'all.
peace, love and understanding.

escape

Oh helloooooo! It is I, Tom Conroy from the "Grey Matter" piece! You may remember me from such roles as "NATHAN!" and "Mervin" *cheesy grin*

ha ha

Firstly, supergirl, who are you?? I know you go to Penrith, but your identity remains veiled!! Thank you for your flattery of my I.P. I wish I could have done it at onstage.

So yeah, any people who are yet to do the HSC and think their piece could be worthy of a nomination for onstage, don't have ANY swearing in it, otherwise the markers automatically can't nominate you. It sucks hardcore.

Thank you for people who liked our piece. Cosmic doris, we WERE in hatched! What school are you from?

Another ENORMOUS thank you to all those people who have bitched shamelessly about our piece, and all the pieces in onstage on this forum. Funny funny people. Why not just go and enjoy the performances, as opposed to going there assuming that it will be crap, as so many of you have clearly done?? At any rate, I wish you all the best...There were so many bloody BRILLIANT performances in both our program and program b. If you think that these aren't nearly as good as what you can do, then please do better and make next years onstage the best ever.

A big hello to matt and byron (and my special Val girl) and any other avid readers who appeared in onstage! In related news Tom O and I bumped into Joanna from Byron Bay and also Arianwen today at the premier's awards! WHAT A CRAAAAAZY WORLD WE LIVE IN! *does various suitable crazy arm actions to match*
Also Luke Dolahenty was supposed to perform today as a musical item (I think all he needs to do now is become Prime Minister, just to have all his bases covered. Hell, why not become ruler of the world and be done with it?), but was sick. A small, but interesting piece of trivia.

Bye for now!

JDZ

HSC
I was not totally impressed with the performances that were presented to our auidence at Onstage this year, Last years gp's where much better, they had some of the best gp's i have seen. Im sorry but really is that the standard of performance material we are up against? firstly i could hardly understand what was going on bc of all the actors were always yelling at each other, i mean just about every group performance consisted of an argument, but i guess that established their complication in the story line. It was mainly just a good laugh. I thought this yr's ip's where definately more improved than last year's, however i felt considerably sorry for the girl who did a monologue which was a dramatic piece established from Oscar Wild, our audience showed no respect and because of this i started to question my role as an actor and how my piece performance is going to be percieved by everyone else.....? because it seems that only humour grabs attention.....i really dont feel that this is right, onstage however isnt the end of the world, and im sure there were heaps of great performances that didnt get chosen. My main aim is to do as well as possible, aiming high.

VonDavis

(",) ..... *'\_/'*
HSC
I went and saw Writer's OnStage and OnScreen they were very good .... I didn't understand the Trees one but it was editted and filmed very well.

taxman

make poverty
HSC
I found most of the performances okay...a lot of them bored me, or pissed me off...but some I thought were VERY clever. I HATED the dressing up one, I thought the humour was excruciatingly lame...I mean at the HSC level, you'd hope that you wouldn't get a mass laugh from the audience when a character points at somebody elses crotch. I was disappointed by the very artsy direction some people took it.

The clown one, while entertaining, pissed me off as I really, really hate dancers...majority of the actors appeared to be totally up themselves, which no matter how good the piece was, I can't stand. I'm not a fan of private school kids. As with everybody else, I thought the holocaust monologue was absolutely brilliant, but I was actually upset when people laughed at the screaming. I thought some of the acting was brilliant, particularly by the panicky mother and the Steve Martin adaptation The Underpants. I thought their timing was brilliant and they really held themselves together the whole way through. I also felt that 'Grey School' was childish, cliched and an insult to the elderly...but in saying that...I enjoyed it :p.

As for the audience, I was kind of expecting that reaction. It seems there are a lot of people who take the drama course as they think it will be a more 'bludgey' course, which I suppose it is until Year 12. When this happens, you get a lot of guys and girls who have no idea about theatre and/or don't give a shit about it...hence the constant chatter, laughter and outbursts.

I'm hoping for some different pieces next year, hopefully without fart and dick humour. When I go to onstage I expect some fairly mature, well-rounded pieces, but obviously that isn't what the markers are looking for.

MissMouth

HSC
A few brilliant ones

I went and saw onstage both program a and b and thought it was really good. some werent quite as good as i would think however i absoloyely loved the welcome to america one, the first group in the lift , the holocaust performance and the last musical one in program a! if u`re one of these performances congrats on brilliant performances!!! :)

she's_beck

HSC
taxman said:
I'm hoping for some different pieces next year, hopefully without fart and dick humour. When I go to onstage I expect some fairly mature, well-rounded pieces, but obviously that isn't what the markers are looking for.
It's not what the markers are looking for, but the Producers of OnStage. Which both have different motifs.

Crowie

HSC
N/A
half the reason y the "mature pieces " or slightly confronting pieces dont get in is cause the audience will find it 2 confronting they r pushed out of there comfort zone, just like the cabaret dancer, it wasnt ment 2 b a funni piece but ppl in the audience where laughing cause they were unconfortable with it or it was to close 2 home
confronting pieces will neva get in 2 onstage well not many newayz
all u hav 2 do 2 get in 2 onstage is the newtown formula
sing - to show range of voice
plenty group work - tableaus and turning the group in 2 an object of sum sort
be very alive and happy- such as doing play school or the wiggles
jump around alot
and make sure u shuffle from one side of the stage to the other

chocaholiic

HSC
Oakhill College Performers?

hey guys! I saw Onstage (program b) loved it loved it loved it! Kinda scary to think we have to be at that standard and level of confidence this time next year. but still gr8 entertainment.

So i'm looking for anyone who was from the onstage performance form the school from Castle Hill - Oakhill college. I just have a few questions to ask, nothing too heavy i promise. :D

seeyaaa

waddle_828

*waves*
HSC
I went and saw the whole OnStage deal, the writers onstage/onscreen, and the performances both program a/b, i thought overall it was a good choice, though there were some i personally didn't like, the trees video for example. But I LOVED the frantic mother, that was so well done, especially to keep talking for the whole time, and not forgetting any lines, i thought the jitter-buffs was well done, for their use of a small performance space, and the grey school one was really well done, it was a satire, and if people found that offensive, then they have no sense of humour.
also, i must agree with supergirl, about the john barton piece, it was SOO well done and should have gotten in, swearing or not...

supergirl

HSC
escape said:
Oh helloooooo! It is I, Tom Conroy from the "Grey Matter" piece! You may remember me from such roles as "NATHAN!" and "Mervin" *cheesy grin*

ha ha

Firstly, supergirl, who are you?? I know you go to Penrith, but your identity remains veiled!! Thank you for your flattery of my I.P. I wish I could have done it at onstage.
Hey Tom. It's Sharne! You probably don't remember me, but meh, that's not really an issue. I thought your IP was fabulous, as did the rest of our class.

And taxman, I do understand that you enjoyed Grey Matter, but I really cannot see how it is offensive to the elderly? It was a satire, as waddle_828 said, it is meant to be taking the piss, and I bet you there wasn't a single "elderly" person who didn't laugh... In fact, they probably laughed more than all of us "youngens" did.

vals

Actually Love, Grey Matter wasnt even supposed to be "taking the piss" outta the elderly.... we got asked about it in an interview and we actually see it as a humourous tribute, we laugh with them and not at them, in fact we spotted a few gerts and ethels in the audience and they seemed to enjoy themselves (you know the "its funny kos its true!" kinda laugh). Im so glad ppl enjoyed it - in fact im stoked- but its true if you took it as offensive, youre compltely seeing it in the wrong light. But i guess you had to have the same disturbing sort of humour that we have to understand it....
Woah OnStage was almost a month ago.... ahhhh the memories.

tarry

i saw programme B... fucking bull shit. it was the worst Onstage yet. jitterbugs was so stereotypical, and aos predictable. i was so disappointed with the choices. there was no all girl gp- which is bull shit. and the ones that did have girls in-they were totally ignored, the girls did not have any part, except for the last one about the music and shit- which was shit. the army one didnt make sense.... and the wedding blocking and transitions were pathetic. i was very very dissapointed with OnStage.. but i heard the programme A was fair better... i so i totally agree with you, there were much much better gps and ips out there... including yours?

ti_amo_anthony

HSC
tarry said:
i saw programme B... fucking bull shit. it was the worst Onstage yet. jitterbugs was so stereotypical, and aos predictable. i was so disappointed with the choices. there was no all girl gp- which is bull shit. and the ones that did have girls in-they were totally ignored, the girls did not have any part, except for the last one about the music and shit- which was shit. the army one didnt make sense.... and the wedding blocking and transitions were pathetic. i was very very dissapointed with OnStage.. but i heard the programme A was fair better... i so i totally agree with you, there were much much better gps and ips out there... including yours?

programme A had all girl gps, and they were gud, i liked A better than B, but the boiz were hotter in B

Crowie

HSC
N/A
i saw program a
all the group performances where un orignal just these same old "comedies" about play school with lots of singing and tableaus each year all we see is the same old thing with happy happy ppl jumping around the stage doing rip offs of play school or the wiggles
they should b putting in original performances ones which we havnt all seen before
the whole point is onstage does not represent the best gps in the state it just shows the ones which the audience or students which dont understand drama .
they wont 2 show these performances as a realistic bar for the students watching to achieve for there hsc. by seeing these unoriginal performances it is promting students to go with the norm as this is wat they have been seeing as getting good marks and nothing will change with these unoriginal performances and people using the newtown formula until they start putting in these original performances with the same old things being shown each yr hopefully next yr will b different

the ips on the other hand raised the bar for next yr they easily outdid the gps and congrats 2 all the individual performers.

wally*hailtaxi*

HSC
Hey everyone, I was a performer in OnSTAGE Program B, Fish Lamb (the rope kid). I've got a few tips for HSC Drama performance. First of all, DON'T AIM FOR ONSTAGE, don't look at your HSC as an audition for OnSTAGE. It's a bonus, thats all. If you don't get nominated don't worry, it's not the end of the world, if 3500 students all aim for OnSTAGE there will be 3450 of you who feel like you've failed! Or if you do and don't get in, remember from that point, your piece is worthy of onstage! From that point its all about censorship, copywright or politics, a certain number of city schools and country schools, private schools and public, boys and girls. Second thing, don't try to design your piece so it would go well in OnSTAGE, make it as far out and as fucked up as possible, so it stands out. Third, have fun!!!
Keeps the feedback coming, I love it, criticisim is really good.
Good luck everone doing Drama HSC in 2005.

Walter.

p.s. Cover up cover up hide it hide it, Damn Miss Rose, I'm so happy I could scream, Switch breasts, Real Doriam Grey *whispered tones*. Miss you guys heaps!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)