• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

onstage people '05' (1 Viewer)

Skillo

is in a theatre near you
In my blue-light backstage hovel, the theatre.
HSC
Krangelus said:
i dont care if anyone apoligizes, i am really offended by all this.

Our GP was so good that we were approached by SBS to turn it into a mini-series but we were snubbed by onstage. The whole selection thing is really crap.
Mwah ah ahahah ahaha haHAH AHAH AHA AHAH AHH

Dang, that was a good call.

steffo

steph
HSC
Trigger189 said:
Hannahb also got in. Can you two please tell me what schools you go to and what exactly your performances were about?

I did not get in and everyone is dissapointed. Congratulations to you two, but I really do consider the whole selection process to be fucked. Forgive me if I come off as cocky, but we were really expecting to get in. Consider these factors:

We got 30/30 for the trial
My English teacher who has been teaching for 15 years and has been Head Teacher Drama several times said it was the best group performance he has ever seen
Both my drama teacher and Head Teacher of Performing Arts at my school were sure we were going to get in
We were asked to perform it repeatedly - one time we performed it in front of our whole school, around 1000 people, and the whole audience was in hysterics
Paul Viles commented to one of my group members at the State Drama Festival that he had "heard all about our performance" - this was just a couple of days after we performed it for the HSC

I dont want to rant too much, but this is probably my only chance to, so bear with me. I have been to Onstage 2 years in a row, and I must admit after having seen those performances I was sure we were going to get in. I felt this years Onstage was pretty much crap - my only really favourite performance was NUTCASE and everyone I have talked to said it is much better than it.

Just so you know, we played 4 missionaries that traveled to an island to preach to savages and spread the light. When we couldnt find any savages, we turned to a light bulb and started worshipping the "light". All the fedback we got said it was a novel idea, we could tell the HSC markers absolutely loved it.

Its sort of like Monty Python comedy and everybody we have showed to loved it. We have gotten bigger laughs doing our performance than anything I've seen at Onstage.

Sorry for being a bitch, but I was really excited about performing it for you guys. And I can imagine the replies: "At least you got nominated, thats a marvelous achievement!" But I cant just take that - I feel we were unfairly rejected. Most of the staff and students, all of our families and friends are very dissapointed.

Conclusion: I feel the selection process is very political, and I am living proof. I see the same schools every year.

We are a Performing Arts high school - but from the Western suburbs - sorry we dont have the same prestige as "Newtown High School of the Performing Arts High School". Not.

And one more thing, unless the performances have DRAMATICALLY improved from last year, I highly doubt we were knocked back because there were a lot more better performances than ours. Anyway, we are going to Onstage next year - I'm sure most of them will be shit.

Not to take any of the glory away from you two, bettyboop and hannahb... you have my full congratulations on making it in

/end rant

i was just reading back on some old posts...
i can see how pissed off you are, because you believe, and rightly so, that u did a fabulous ande serving performance.

but honestly, a nomination IS all that matters. onstage is a load of claptrap. just as every single outstandingHSC things are (ie. encore, art express).
selectors look for the same kinds of thigns every year. they dont really want extreme uniqueness or individuality. they want cliched talent. it may not even be talent sometimes. ive been to onstage a few years now and its bullshit.

seriously, i wouldnt get down about it. im sure you're over it now, but onstage, althoguh it would be an absolutely amazing experience, is not it and a bit.
its fairly shoddy in fact.

jitterbug

HSC
steffo said:
i was just reading back on some old posts...
i can see how pissed off you are, because you believe, and rightly so, that u did a fabulous ande serving performance.

but honestly, a nomination IS all that matters. onstage is a load of claptrap. just as every single outstandingHSC things are (ie. encore, art express).
selectors look for the same kinds of thigns every year. they dont really want extreme uniqueness or individuality. they want cliched talent. it may not even be talent sometimes. ive been to onstage a few years now and its bullshit.

seriously, i wouldnt get down about it. im sure you're over it now, but onstage, althoguh it would be an absolutely amazing experience, is not it and a bit.
its fairly shoddy in fact.
I totally agree that a nomination is all that matters. And not even that, drama is such a personal thing that what one person may read into a piece, someone else may not see.
OnStage, in my opinion, has some brilliant dramatic pieces, some that are piss funny, and some that while not that dramatically sound, have an incredibly original premise, or have just broken a certain convention. It's just a showcase, a small representation of what you would find among our projects. It does not say that these are the best and all the rest were shite.
I was not nominated, I got crap marks (and i mean crap, judging by what you guys all got). A friend from my class got in and it was awful for her, because event though she worked so hard and deserved it, the rest of the class were too dissappointed with their own result (read failure) to support her. She felt that she couldn't celebrate because of this, people would think she was gloating. We ended up going out alone to celebrate because everyone made excuses not to come. It was really sad that they couldn't be happy for her.
OnStage is just a cross-section of this years work, not a best-of.

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
jitterbug said:
OnStage is just a cross-section of this years work, not a best-of.
Amen to that.

Look guys it isn't the end of the world if you didn't get in. Skillo, in particular, you killed the hsc! For me, that's satisfaction. Getting into OnStage would be great, I agree, but with all the politics that goes on with it, who would want to take part??? They select who they want. Whether it's on the basis of Rural/City or whether it's on the basis of a particular quota they must fill. We will never find out.

I get the argument for and against and I can't take sides coz I feel that both of ur points are valid.

But seriously, I lost interest in OnStage long time ago. Within myself I know I try as hard as I possibly can and since those wanks don't want me in, then I feel they're losing out, not me.

OnStage does NOT equal what you will be doing for the rest of ur life. You make your own future, whether you're from rural or city suburb.

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
Trigger189 said:
Conclusion: I feel the selection process is very political, and I am living proof. I see the same schools every year.

We are a Performing Arts high school - but from the Western suburbs - sorry we dont have the same prestige as "Newtown High School of the Performing Arts High School". Not.
/end rant
Okay, I don't really think you've thought this out.

For starters, have you looked at the line ups for OnStages through the years? Fair enough that there are some repeats of schools through the years but that is only because they are genuinely good performances, no matter where they come from.

Look at my school, Bishop Druitt College...COFFS HARBOUR. The only good thing we've had here has been the Bulldog rape scandal - biggest acting job on the century. But, despite our lack of any great credibility we've had 6 groups in for the past 5 years and 3 projects in the same time.

Lastly, everyone's going to tell you that your performance was good, but face it: only post-modernism gets into OnStage...doi...same with 4U.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)