• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

open day (1 Viewer)

fornstar

QUEENSLANDER!!!!
HSC
PwarYuex said:
Thirdly, 2 of my first-year friends have successfully applied for it, as has fornstar. Whilst that particular email was sent out to mentors, the jobs are not only going to them; as has been shown by my friends saying the jobs have been advertised by tutors and lecturers..
i dont want to get in the middle of this, but seeing as Rob has mentioned me, i think its fair i had my 2cents

steve dude your talking out of your arse!!! u have the mentor experience, it will work in your favour, no need to feel so threatened.

i hope both of you get it, have to work together on the day and collectively get over it :D

bscienceboi

HSC
N/A
PwarYuex said:
I thought you were supposed to be nice? Where's MJ, I much prefer her.
He was just pointing out that there was a level of uncertainty whether the positions set out were targeted to students who had previously had mentoring experience and why that would be the case.

I myself didn't know that the positions were offered by lecturers or tutors and that it was open for anyone. Skittled would be in the same situation as he said he only knew the department was aiming for mentoring students.

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
PwarYuex said:
I was just summarising all the reasons why I am applying to about 5 different people who have just said "The job's only for past mentors".
And it's understandable you were clearing that up... it's not particularly pleaseant to have people jump on you telling you you're doing the wrong thing, especially when you know you're in the right. Absolutley no issue with that, however the tone of your messages seems particularly hostile.

Next issue:
PwarYuex said:
I'm not being defensive or volatile,
You asking the question "were you a mentor last year" is what teachers and parents say when they're patronising you- "Oh, didn't you do your readings", "I asked Bob the question- is your name Bob?", "Do you think that swearing at me was a good idea, hmm?..." etc.

Of course I wasn't a mentor, I'm a first year. You knew that, so it would have been more productive to have said "I believe that particular email was directed at mentors, Rob".
Ah, so there's the problem: I was patronising you. Interestingly, I know I respond defensively when I'm being patronised.

...But you're not being defensive.

If you're going to insist on believing I was patronising you, that's fine, but as I've already explained --both in this thread and the other one you dragged it into-- I was merely confirming. Let me try again to make it clearer. Unfortunately, your academic record doesn't feature particularly highly in my memory: Yes, now that we've had this discussion, I'm well aware that you are first year. However, at the time of the inital writing I had an inkling, but wasn't so sure, so I asked before saying anything. Yes, I know the technique can be used in a patronising way, but that wasn't the intention, thus it wasn't patronising. Unless you interpreted it that way, and thus any patronising elements to that message are the fault of the interpreter. Yes, there's an element in the wording which will bias your interpretation -- and I'm probably guilty of presenting something which looks like patronisation, but in the end it's up to you, and if you want to think -- especially after hearing an expanation -- that I was patronising you in the original two messages, it's now your problem.

PwarYuex said:
I thought you were supposed to be nice? Where's MJ, I much prefer her.
She's a lovely girl, but I don't see how that's in context except to say I'm an asshole, which is a rather aggressive move.

...But you're not being at all volatile, either.

Edit:
bscienceboi said:
He was just pointing out that there was a level of uncertainty whether the positions set out were targeted to students who had previously had mentoring experience and why that would be the case.
Ta dude. Spot on... really it doesn't bother me who becomes orientation day mentors or not, and it's hardly something I'd get aggressive over. Fornstar, I'm not feeling threatened at all (but can imagine how it comes across like this); was just trying to bring a point up... obviously there was more to the point than I was aware of, and I'm happy to admit I was out of the loop when it came to that... The general aggression, though, is directed at the tone and how things were said, rather than the actual issue... In the end I wish Pwar any and all luck he may need to be a mentor -- privately, I hope he doesn't actually think I'm an asshole; I've got no desire to get anyone off-side, but I'm not gonna just be walked over, either. Total pride-based argument, now. ;)

Last edited:

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Im sure you two would love to work together as mentor buddies on the open day :)

X

xeuyrawp

Skittled said:
Absolutley no issue with that, however the tone of your messages seems particularly hostile.
Mate, this:

"
Then why didn't you say that rather than asking a question you already knew the answer to?

Firstly, I wouldn't apply if I couldn't do the general open day stuff.

Secondly, I was invited to talk and sit around at a history stand / lecture and was told by two different academics that if I got the paying AskMe job, I could still do work with the history people for the two or three hours they need me.

Thirdly, 2 of my first-year friends have successfully applied for it, as has fornstar. Whilst that particular email was sent out to mentors, the jobs are not only going to them; as has been shown by my friends saying the jobs have been advertised by tutors and lecturers.

Lastly, the lady knows I'm a first year and hence haven't mentored before."
wasn't hostile.

I was pointing out why I've applied. Nothing more.

If you think I was being hostile or volatile, please point out the particular part of it that implies hostility.

Just for clarification: I am now being hostile.

And it's understandable you were clearing that up... it's not particularly pleaseant to have people jump on you telling you you're doing the wrong thing, especially when you know you're in the right.
Again, you're lying like a bitch. I never said you were doing the wrong thing; I said what has happened to me. If you refute your lying like a little school girl, please point out where I said 'I'm telling you you're wrong'. 1. I wouldn't say that because you're definitely know more about this than me, and 2. that particular sentence needs a 'that' between 'you' and 'you're', so I wouldn't have said it. :p

Ah, so there's the problem: I was patronising you. Interestingly, I know I respond defensively when I'm being patronised.

...But you're not being defensive.
No Steve, you're being silly again. My first post was not defensive, my second was.

Unfortunately, your academic record doesn't feature particularly highly in my memory[/i]

It doesn't have to- that's why it says 'First Year' in my signature. Maybe being circumspect doesn't feature high in your memory?

Yes, I know the technique can be used in a patronising way, but that wasn't the intention, thus it wasn't patronising.
So let me get this clear- you know that technique can be patronising, but you used it. You've obviously you have forgotten that text is a terrible carrier for tone, because you assumed my post (where I just outlined my reasons for applying) was volatile and defensive.

Unless you interpreted it that way, and thus any patronising elements to that message are the fault of the interpreter.
Ah, so it's my fault when you're being a sensitive jackass and interpreted by "Firstly..." post as volatile, but it's my fault when you post something that you admit is patronising and I take it as its usual patronising meaning?

So what are you, a hypocrite or a plain idiot?

She's a lovely girl, but I don't see how that's in context except to say I'm an asshole, which is a rather aggressive move.

...But you're not being at all volatile, either.
Don't keep saying "you're not being volatile, either"- you've now pissed me off and I'm going volatile.

Again, I don't know you, so don't pretend I said you were an asshole. All I know is that I don't particularly like you, and that on the numerous occasions I wanted to say hello to MJ, you've been around- also the fact that I have a terrible memory for girls' faces, so I never recognise her without you there.

Lastly, like I've said at least 5 times before, can you not call me pwar? I had to chose a username, but I'd prefer you refer to me as 'Rob', as the former just implies that I'm some net personality, when I've been meaning to actually meet you:p.

In my experience, arguments over such things will result in name-calling, abuse, and me sneaking up and jumping on your back whilst strangling you at uni, so it's probably better if I say that I'm sorry if I offended you.

That must be the only time I've ever said that on BOS, but I'm doing it for the kids, as Kylie Minogue would say.

Last edited by a moderator:

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
Point(s!) taken.... I was being an asshole, actually, in my last post -- I'm guilty of that. Additionally, I realise I'd done some of the things criticised you of, once I step back and look at it from a fresh perspective. Live and let live. Sorry, Rob.

I seriously hope you don't listen to Kylie... do you? ;)

(Disclaimer: for the purposes of internet tonality and communication, that last line was said entirely tongue-in-cheek, and was intended purely as a joke, rather than to imply any quality or lack thereof in Kylie's music and her audience.)

X

xeuyrawp

Skittled said:
Point(s!) taken.... I was being an asshole, actually, in my last post -- I'm guilty of that. Additionally, I realise I'd done some of the things criticised you of, once I step back and look at it from a fresh perspective. Live and let live. Sorry, Rob.

I seriously hope you don't listen to Kylie... do you? ;)

(Disclaimer: for the purposes of internet tonality and communication, that last line was said entirely tongue-in-cheek, and was intended purely as a joke, rather than to imply any quality or lack thereof in Kylie's music and her audience.)
Hahah, no I don't listen to Kylie!

I just like that song "Kids".

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
So about open day....i hear they'll be banning all outsiders and charging MQ'ers to attend

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
if only i had the attention span to follow those posts =p

now thats its all cleared, i dont have to do anything.

X

xeuyrawp

AsyLum said:
So about open day....i hear they'll be banning all outsiders and charging MQ'ers to attend
....?

Are you talking about conception day, per chance?

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
AsyLum said:
Thats right! But, you see, if you're a mentor on Open day, the $22 an hour isnt really pay per se, it cancels itself out to allow you to be on campus between the hours of 10-4 without suffering the normal charge.

...Make sense?

X

xeuyrawp

MaryJane said:
Thats right! But, you see, if you're a mentor on Open day, the $22 an hour isnt really pay per se, it cancels itself out to allow you to be on campus between the hours of 10-4 without suffering the normal charge.

...Make sense?
Er, wtf?

They can't charge an entry fee on open day?

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
lol, its a joke.. we're linking the fact that only MQ students can go to Conception day (and may have to pay in subsequent years) to just about every event MQ is holding.

Therefore, under the conception day standard, people who want to attend Open day will have to pay a fee... if they're allowed in the gate to begin with!

X

xeuyrawp

Don't start with conception day.

Di's going to come down in the middle of some hot band's single, take the microphone and inform us that the music's too loud for her taste.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)