Opinions Of Notre Dame? (1 Viewer)

ashleypage

HSC
I'm considering studying at Notre Dame next year, but I don't really know much about its reputation/students opinions of it.
Just kinda wondering what people think of the uni, and in particular it's Arts and Law courses.

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
I got offerred B Arts/B Laws for Notre Dame for this year but I took law at UWS instead...

Facts:
Private Uni established in 1990 WA. Now has a few campuses one of which is in Sydney that began teaching in 2006. Currently, very few students attend the uni. Applications are direct, not through UAC and they use your HSC marks as opposed to UAI. For law they claim the main criteria for consideration is a band 6 in Advanced english.
The only reason why I wanted to go to notre dame over UWS is because of its location (its pretty much opposite UTS)

B Arts/B Laws

School of Law Staff
Admissions

HSC
I don't know if this helps at all, but Notre Dame in WA, while small, has an excellent reputation. It is an extremely multicultural campus, despite originating from the catholic church. Units in philosophy, theology and ethics are compulsory in most courses. They place an importance on internships (especially in the final year of the course), and is regarded highly for courses such as education, nursing, physiotherapy, behavioural science and law. However, these opinions are based on my experiences with the Fremantle campus. There are many alternative entry pathways if you don't get the desired course.
Keep in mind that I have only ever dealt with the Fremantle campus. I'm sure that the campuses in NSW will be very similar. I strongly recommend, like with other unis, that you attend the open days. This may give you an understanding of the Notre Dame philosophy, and answer many questions that you may have.

ashleypage

HSC
babikakez said:
I don't know if this helps at all, but Notre Dame in WA, while small, has an excellent reputation. It is an extremely multicultural campus, despite originating from the catholic church. Units in philosophy, theology and ethics are compulsory in most courses. They place an importance on internships (especially in the final year of the course), and is regarded highly for courses such as education, nursing, physiotherapy, behavioural science and law. However, these opinions are based on my experiences with the Fremantle campus. There are many alternative entry pathways if you don't get the desired course.
Keep in mind that I have only ever dealt with the Fremantle campus. I'm sure that the campuses in NSW will be very similar. I strongly recommend, like with other unis, that you attend the open days. This may give you an understanding of the Notre Dame philosophy, and answer many questions that you may have.
Thanks heaps.
I would love to attend an open day, but I live about 5 hours North of Sydney, so i'm not sure if that would be possible.
I really want to talk to people who attend ND as well.

0Jade0

HSC
I go to ND. 1st year arts. I love it.
The people are nice and I like the small campus and central location. Units are interesting and the only 'catholicy' bit about it are the core units.

ashleypage

HSC
0Jade0 said:
I go to ND. 1st year arts. I love it.
The people are nice and I like the small campus and central location. Units are interesting and the only 'catholicy' bit about it are the core units.
Yay thankyou for replying =]Exactly what I was hoping for!I'm also hoping to do Arts as well.

tkinnear

lalala..
HSC
I too am hoping to study at Notre Dame next year, combined degree of Law/Arts(politics) =D

Did you apply for early entry?

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Rudy came from Notre Dame, therefore its a good school.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
stazi said:
Rudy came from Notre Dame, therefore its a good school.
whos rudy

Bacilli

Hypocritical gump
HSC
N/A
Dame now offer MBBS at their Sydney campus I heard?

emuthegreat

HSC
You could possibly do law with just a band 6 in Advanced English ??

:eek: I want to go now lol ..

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
s-AINT said:
Dame now offer MBBS at their Sydney campus I heard?
Next year they're expected to start Graduate medicine at the Sydney campus I believe.

emuthegreat said:
You could possibly do law with just a band 6 in Advanced English ??

:eek: I want to go now lol ..
They say band 6 is a necessary requirement but not the only academic criteria. When I talked to the assistant dean they told me that there were people who would have got a UAI higher than me but they got knocked back because they didn't have the required communication and language skills required for law.

emuthegreat

HSC
That's pretty reasonable, I like them now :)

Some of my friends got offers already and are applying.. Do they offer according to your current results ??

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
emuthegreat said:
That's pretty reasonable, I like them now :)

Some of my friends got offers already and are applying.. Do they offer according to your current results ??
Last year they had a program where schools referred a select amount of students for provisional early offers based on their current performance and the predicted results. However, they still take accout of your actual HSC results for selection and final offers.

For law the selection process requires an application form, school reference and interview and high performance in these areas have high persuasive power if your marks aren't up to scratch.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)