Opinions on Caesar (1 Viewer)

Sebjin

SExyBeASTIAN
HSC
Hey everyone,

Just want to know what other historians said about caesar, i.e. their opinions on him as a general and ruler etc. i cant find anything in any of my texts.

Sebjin

SExyBeASTIAN
HSC
Hey,
thanks for your reply. and yes i am refering to the original Julius Caesar.
ive got a few texts...umm...suetonius, scullard, mommsen, plutarch, but i cant really pinpoint a particular view or sentence on caesar as a general on the whole..

Magister

HSC
N/A
Re Julius Caesar

Try Caesar's own commentary on the Civil Wars-you get the story from his own perspective, although it is written in the 3rd person. The introduction by Jane Gardiner in the Penguin translation is very useful. There are many biographies about Caesar; Theodore Mommsen's is a popular one and Allan Massie has written a more readable biog. Check your school library and other libraries (a uni one if you can get there) as there should be a good selection. If you manage to access a uni library, check out the periodicals section as there are great articles to be found. These journals are particularly useful:
Journal of Roman History (JRS)
Classical Quarterly
Greece & Rome
JACTA
Journal ofHellenic Studies (For Greek History)

You can also access a lot of material online. Many primary sources can be found in various translations. The Internet Ancient History Resource is also a great site to check out.

I hope you have some luck finding useful info (you haven't got very long!!!).

Magister

L.Corbett

HSC
curious

hey, i'm new to this but i was just wondering if anyone could help me... i'm writing an essay on the 2nd triumvirate and i was if anyone knew of some good sources i could look at for information? your help would be greatly appreciated. thanks L.

Ussia

HSC
Um mabye you should try the local library...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)