Opinions on dropping General. (1 Viewer)

didier91

HSC
Hey guys I know you get this alot but was just hoping to get some feedback on my particular circumstances.

You can see my other subjects listed in my signature and I have done alright in all of them (range 70-95%). I'm going into Yr 12 in 2009 and am doing 12 units and my school rather emphasises how important it is to have the 2 backup units. Although alot of people in my year are doing 10 or 11.

I got 55% in my first internal test for General which literally made me puke... it was worth 20% of our internal assessments and the top mark was 80%, but I don't think I'm even in the top half of the rankings. Should I bother keeping it? My teacher is very positive and thinks I can still do well but I'm really doubtful of that.

On another note I'm aiming to get into the USA for University and am also debating whether or not dropping would look bad on my Report in which I have already chopped and changed my subjects alot. I dropped Drama for Mathematics in T2 of Y11,dropped Modern History last term so I could do Extension 2 English and obviously dropped down from Mathematics to General for last term.

The other question is whether or not General might actually help me with my SAT exams which I'm doing over the course of this Year (already done one and awaiting results).

Thanks guys. :hippie:

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
Honestly, how can you fail at General Maths, that stuff I could do with my eyes closed, lol.

How much studying do you put into Maths?

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Drop it. You're not happy with it and it probably won't count anyway.

didier91

HSC
jm01 said:
Honestly, how can you fail at General Maths, that stuff I could do with my eyes closed, lol.

How much studying do you put into Maths?
Thanks for your concern mate.... you're very sincere.

I'll be the first to admit I'm not mathematically gifted and agree that the subject is a waste of time.

However, I think I'm gonna stick with it just for my report to the USA as they'll like to see a Maths of some sort on it, while I'll concentrate on my other 10 units which I'm capable at.

nugget01

HSC
yeah stick with general. i was really shitty at maths all through school until about year 11 when i actually started listening and dare i say it studying. ended up getting 88 for it in the hsc and it really brought my uai up. just keep revising and you'll be able to go well :)

David Spade

Banned
HSC
N/A
I would keep it, to be honest. If you aren't doing great, it wont count as your final unit, but to me going in with only 10 seems risky ...

It also depends what you want to do at uni. Obviously 4U English leads me to believe you'd want to do arts/humanities/law or something, but idk ...

Schoey93

HSC
I would keep it, to be honest. If you aren't doing great, it wont count as your final unit, but to me going in with only 10 seems risky ...

It also depends what you want to do at uni. Obviously 4U English leads me to believe you'd want to do arts/humanities/law or something, but idk ...
Let me just say:

12 units is for academically gifted and talented students who are doing more than ten units because they have a passion for ALL of their subjects OR are unsure of what they want to do @ uni.

All the other people doing 12 units are wimps. Not only are they wimps, they are somewhat stupid, as...um...duh - free periods! Ever heard of them? I'd rather 17 52 minute frees p/f than 9 frees p/f! Wouldn't you? It makes sense. You know it does.

Academically gifted students with a passion for their subjects ftw!

Other than that:
10 units ftw, baby! :headbang:

Drop General. When you hate math General Math sucks. But trust me, it's not a waste of time.

James

didier91

HSC
Let me just say:

12 units is for academically gifted and talented students who are doing more than ten units because they have a passion for ALL of their subjects OR are unsure of what they want to do @ uni.

All the other people doing 12 units are wimps. Not only are they wimps, they are somewhat stupid, as...um...duh - free periods! Ever heard of them? I'd rather 17 52 minute frees p/f than 9 frees p/f! Wouldn't you? It makes sense. You know it does.

Academically gifted students with a passion for their subjects ftw!

Other than that:
10 units ftw, baby! :headbang:

Drop General. When you hate math General Math sucks. But trust me, it's not a waste of time.

James
Well at my school you have to do 12 units unless you go through a long process of interviews and such but really I do need maths just IN my school report. Also I have 16 studies as there are no 4 unit classes.

But I do agree with what you're saying and if it goes that badly I will drop it, not sure if I agree with 12 units for academically gifted people to be honest. It is manageable depending on your subjects.

Thanks to everyone for there responses.

Schoey93

HSC
I wasn't implying that 12 units is unmanageable for average students, because that's not true. I just don't think there is much point doing more than 10 units if you are an average student because you'd enjoy having more free periods and wouldn't have a deep passion for all 6-8 subjects, most likely tbh. :)

James

lou071

HSC
N/A
Hey guys I know you get this alot but was just hoping to get some feedback on my particular circumstances.

You can see my other subjects listed in my signature and I have done alright in all of them (range 70-95%). I'm going into Yr 12 in 2009 and am doing 12 units and my school rather emphasises how important it is to have the 2 backup units. Although alot of people in my year are doing 10 or 11.

I got 55% in my first internal test for General which literally made me puke... it was worth 20% of our internal assessments and the top mark was 80%, but I don't think I'm even in the top half of the rankings. Should I bother keeping it? My teacher is very positive and thinks I can still do well but I'm really doubtful of that.

On another note I'm aiming to get into the USA for University and am also debating whether or not dropping would look bad on my Report in which I have already chopped and changed my subjects alot. I dropped Drama for Mathematics in T2 of Y11,dropped Modern History last term so I could do Extension 2 English and obviously dropped down from Mathematics to General for last term.

The other question is whether or not General might actually help me with my SAT exams which I'm doing over the course of this Year (already done one and awaiting results).

Thanks guys. :hippie:
well. for SAT 1, you know there is maths part, right?
i personally don't know if general maths is gonna be helpful in SAT exam
and i think 10 units is better than 12 units coz you can focus more.
if i was u, i would drop general maths.

JollyJohn

HSC
N/A
Drop it, looking at your other subjects i dont even know why you had a maths in there somewhere

talk about random

forbes_mitch

HSC
hold on it, i do it and you just have to keep at it and pay attention. talk to your teacher, mine helps me alot in class and at home i review what we have done for that day,

for studying do practice questions and passed papers and chapter reviews in your book. when writing notes including a worked example always helps,

MrDimple

HSC
hey i also got an internal mark of around 50% for a 20% weighting task in my hsc but during i look back on how poor it was. I felt i should have study more and now that i have i have had a great understanding in general in my half yearlies i feel ocnfident of gettinh 90% so you can to :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)