Opinions on Excel HSC Maths guides (1 Viewer)

findx

HSC
Are the Excel HSC Maths, Maths Ext 1 and Maths Ext2 study guides any good?
Would it be better to spend my money on an extra textbook?

what do you bos members recommend? :)

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Our Ext 2 cohort loves the Excel book for some reason, we have three books, Fitzpatrick, Cambridge, Terry Lee, yet they seem to just want to buy the Excel book. From experience, I have only used it once in the library though, I was learning integration by parts and reductions. It's not too bad a book to learn the basics.

Aysce

HSC
I have all 3, bought them for 10 each :D. But in my opinion, as spi said, pretty much alright for basics. If you want to extend yourself or do HSC-potential Qs, those 3 books above, will do the job- Mostly Fitzpatrick.

HSC
Uni Grad
Terry Lee imo will expose you more to HSC style questions, once you have passed the development stage.

Alkanes

HSC
Well they have full working solutions, so i guess it's a good book to get.

Aysce

HSC
Are the 4u qs in Terry Lee actually HSC styled? My teacher is teaching us really basic stuff compared to the things in that textbook :/

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
I don't think Terry Lee's questions are examination style. It's good for consolidation and understanding.

Aysce

HSC
Hopefully not :L, what are you up to for 4u?

HSC
Uni Grad
I don't think Terry Lee's questions are examination style. It's good for consolidation and understanding.
Terry Lee did take questions and alter them from previous HSC papers though. I recall some questions for our 3U half yearly were taken off Terry Lee. Freaken lazy Ms Daley =_=

Aysce

HSC
WOAH. My school is only up to graphs... I'm planning to do 1-2 topics in holidays ^^

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Good luck, Spiral will be here lurking on the forums.

khfreakau

HSC
Terry Lee is by far the most challenging of the 3, but I think Patel's non excel 4u book is really good. It has a mix of hard and easy questions to let you grasp the basics and then apply your knowledge. But really, I don't think anyone should be doing the harder questions in textbooks - they can at times be simply ridiculous to answer and not examination style. Once you've mastered the basics, it's time for past papers :)

Aysce

HSC
Are you like halfway through graphs? I just touched sketching square roots :S

HSC
Uni Grad
We've finished Complex, Graphs, Polynomials, we're doing a bit of Circle Geometry.
I remember at this point of time we only just started doing graphs T_T
Our class was rather slow because 4 people were going to drop the course. We even had Mr Matchett as well, and he was rather slow compared with Mr Paraskevas.

Your class is rushing, I swear... but then again it's good coz everyone can revise for the trial earlier and revise for their other subjects too :)
Although I have a feeling that Mr Paraskevas will write a pretty troll trial this year: ours was okay.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)