Opinions on family essays (1 Viewer)

absorber

HSC
I know they say you're not supposed to, but I intend to have a (roughly) prepared essays, or rather a list of prepared issues, to discuss in family. But say I get a non-specific question, like 'evaluate the effectiveness of law reform in achieving justice' or something along those lines. I could talk about everything; divorce, de factos, gay marriage, technological impacts on family law, domestic violence, etc, etc, etc. I'd run out of time. Should I attempt to write on all of those and not finish my essay but leave it with a plan, or should I exclude some things and finish it?

Evertonian

HSC
I know they say you're not supposed to, but I intend to have a (roughly) prepared essays, or rather a list of prepared issues, to discuss in family. But say I get a non-specific question, like 'evaluate the effectiveness of law reform in achieving justice' or something along those lines. I could talk about everything; divorce, de factos, gay marriage, technological impacts on family law, domestic violence, etc, etc, etc. I'd run out of time. Should I attempt to write on all of those and not finish my essay but leave it with a plan, or should I exclude some things and finish it?
Finish the essay off to get the structure part of it. Plus, i think you shouldnt talk about all issues as mainly its a regurgitated question just worded differently.
(a) Discuss the role and effectiveness of legal institutions in protecting familymembers.
OR (b) To what extent does the law reflect moral and ethical standards of Australian society in relation to family members?

(a) ‘Society moves ahead and the law limps behind.’
Discuss this statement in relation to continuity and change in the law as it applies to family members.
OR
(b) ‘The law only exists to manage conflict.’
Evaluate this statement in relation to family members.

(a) Evaluate the effectiveness of law reform in achieving justice for family members, and include a description of how the law responds to different family arrangements.
OR
(b) Evaluate the effectiveness of dispute resolution mechanisms in achieving justice for family members, and include a description of how the law responds to domestic violence.

Evaluate the ways in which the legal system protects family members, and
include a discussion of the rights and obligations of both parents and children.

OR
(b) The law reflects the culture and values of different societies and groups within
society.
Evaluate this statement in relation to legal issues and remedies affecting family
members, and include a discussion of alternative family arrangements.

(a) In relation to the family, evaluate the place of law in resolving conflict and
encouraging cooperation, including discussion of the dissolution of marriage.
OR
(b) With reference to legal issues and remedies, evaluate the effectiveness of the law in responding to different family arrangements.

See its pretty much the same question each year just worded differently, but make sure you know your stuff !!

absorber

HSC
? Some questions are specific, but most are relatively easy to just relate all family issues back to your argument

Enchantress91

HSC
I'm good at law reform (for family anyway), just not conflict resolution. I think for general questions like evaluating effectiveness of law in achieving justice, you're meant to pull out key points, not every single issue there is. I love alternative family arrangements...:jump:

BTW, is "evaluate" the same as "assess"? Or does "evaluate" rank on the higher end of the scale than assess?

absorber

HSC
I treat evaluate and assess and for that matter 'to what extent' as basically the same thing. There's not much of a dif

Evertonian

HSC
I'm good at law reform (for family anyway), just not conflict resolution. I think for general questions like evaluating effectiveness of law in achieving justice, you're meant to pull out key points, not every single issue there is. I love alternative family arrangements...:jump:

BTW, is "evaluate" the same as "assess"? Or does "evaluate" rank on the higher end of the scale than assess?
Assess = make a judgment of value, quality, outcomes, results or size, hence make a judgment on cases etc. but then id just link it to all the protection enforceability etc
Evaluate = make a judgment on criteria, hence protection, resource efficiency etc

HSC
Assess -> make a judgement looking at pros and cons.
Evaluate -> more strongly have supprted opinions integrated into your argument

DEFINITELY in the exam, if you're running out of time don't dot point exclude some things and conclude. There's no way anyone can mention everything that is relevant anyway. If you did, you'd end up with at least 50 pages or a textbook.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)