Opinions on social work? (1 Viewer)

rokkuguhyo

HSC
I'm doing my HSC this year, and I'm still not too sure about what I want to do if I get into uni.

I've been considering psychology and journalism, but what I'm really drawn to is social work.

What I want to know is, is social work a worthwhile career? It has a low cut-off UAI at most unis, but does it mean that it's not a good job?

Davo1111

HSC
N/A
Looks like you're going to earn around 60k a year on average. You must have good communication and analytical skills. A lot of the job is about actually enjoying helping other people, like it's the love of the job. So if you don't really give a shit about other people, then this probably isnt for you. Have a look at seek, they had a huge breakdown of social workers, and different fields you could enter.

spence

HSC
I'm doing my HSC this year, and I'm still not too sure about what I want to do if I get into uni.

I've been considering psychology and journalism, but what I'm really drawn to is social work.

What I want to know is, is social work a worthwhile career? It has a low cut-off UAI at most unis, but does it mean that it's not a good job?

If you're drawn to the course, then go for it. Don't worry that something has a low cutoff, it just means it isn't in high demand, doesn't say anything about the quality of the job

Izzay

Wassup MTV
HSC
N/A
if helping people is your thing, i dont see why not.

should look into the different jobs out there and what you could see yourself doing.

LJCorbin

HSC
I believe Social Work is one of the few noble professions of modern society. I personally place it on a pedestal. It isn't about money. Social Workers earn enough to get by and often land government jobs, so they can have improved job security.

The main thing about Social Work is that it requires 'life experience.' I wouldn't recommend anyone getting straight into it directly after finishing high school. Better off leaving it for a few years. Get out into the real world first.

Also be aware that different Universities have very different systems for teaching Social Work. Some only offer it as a postgraduate degree, whilst others offer it as undergraduate but with certain requirements, i.e. two years of Arts subjects before starting on Social Work units.

Going back to my previous point about money, what most Social Workers seem to do when they get bored or crave the cashola is train as psychotherapists or some other similar but better paid field.

Shichi

HSC
The main thing about Social Work is that it requires 'life experience.'
I agree with that to a certain extent - although I'd refine that comment by saying it's more about emotional maturity. You have to into social work realising that a lot of the material you will encounter can be both intellectually and emotionally challenging, and you have to make sure you are prepared to read case studies covering abuse, mental illnesses, homelessness, etc.

I'm currently studying social work and there's a few people in my course who have stepped straight in from high school without a problem.

Going back to my previous point about money, what most Social Workers seem to do when they get bored or crave the cashola is train as psychotherapists or some other similar but better paid field.
Don't blame social workers for wanting more pay - for a job that requires a minimum four-year degree and 980 hours of supervised placement, we are grossly underpaid.

That being said, I think a social work degree is flexible enough to take you in many directions. You don't necessarily have to work in counselling fields or clinical settings. Some social workers expand into social policy, for instance while others go into community development.

Andi0390

HSC
As people have said here its not the ideal career for money making. Although I think that is a good thing, because if people wanted to get into it for money then they wouldn't be in it for the people.

Saying that they money isn't horrible, you should be able to get by fine. Like most organisations, if you stuck with something then you would probably be able to work your way up, maybe to some kind of youth centre manager or something.

I always imagine social workers working with youth, and thats what i was interested in doing for a bit but I decided I don't have nearly enough compassion, patience and understanding. Maybe one day I will and then I can do an extra course in it.

I think it could be a good career, its not all stuck behind a desk. You get to meet people, probably go places, and really get involved in peoples lives, unlike doctors or anything. But there will be the burdens, and you will probably responsible sometimes, its hard meeting people and seeing that their lives aren't great and feeling helpless about it. But it makes you grateful, and makes you care. Sorry, i'm rambling. I wish I did social work instead.

Anyway if you are unsure, and its possible that later you change your mind, instead of doing just a B of Social Work do a BArts/BSocial Work, so you sort of have a fall back of Arts. I think its only a year extra, if any, and you can do Sociology, which is my major and fun and probably relevant.

If you want to do it, then do it, screw the money.

Arabique

HSC
Don't even worry about a low score requirement. Social work is in demand, has job security and you'll be helping the community at large.

Personally, I would recommend it alot! Good luck!

rokkuguhyo

HSC
Okay, thanks so much for the advice, everyone. Now I know I want to be a social worker :)

dsam

HSC
Hey guys,

this thread has answered several of my questions.

I am wondering if I could get the same job/payment prospects through studying Social Sciences?

Thanks

blerkles

HSC
N/A
I am wondering if I could get the same job/payment prospects through studying Social Sciences?
Not really. There are counselling jobs, youth worker jobs, community service jobs etc that would still be available but you'd be hard pressed to get a "Social Worker" job (e.g. with a govt dept) without AASW accreditation - check the job ad's to confirm. Social Workers are 4 year trained, many Social Science degrees are 3 years long, which impacts a bit on starting salaries.

There is no legal registration for Social Workers in any States of Australia. However, the AASW is the standard-setting body for social work in Australia and many jobs require eligibility for membership of the AASW. In order to be eligible for membership, you need to complete one of the AASW approved degrees.
From: Social Work Education - What We Do - AASW - Australian Association of Social Workers

ay0_x

HSC
Hey guys,

this thread has answered several of my questions.

Thanks
May as well do youthwork/community services work in TAFE if you're gonna do Social Sciences.

ajaaayx

HSC

im doing HSC this year, & im really interested in social work too! :) i'm thinking a social worker in the courts atm... or social worker working with adolescents and youth

SpoonSamba

HSC
I'm not doing social work but I have a lot of social workers in my family

It' a good job in that:
--it is very worthwhile
--theres a lot of different areas to work in (youth, aged care, hospitals etc)
--You will be able to find a job (meaning you dont have to be a study freak at uni and -can have a good time, its one of those P's means degrees things)
-You can travel with it (My cousins in England at the moment working as a social worker with their asylum seekers)
-And its interesting

The down side is especially as a new grad you wont be paid fantastically, and it can be very emotionally draining work ( this depends on where you work as well though)

But if youre drawn to it then i say go for it!

sailor_girl

HSC
I did social work at uni. For those interested in the course here is my feedback.

The course itself I found to be really interesting. Of course there are a few dry subjects, but you get that with everything. For the most part though, the lecturers and subject material was great - you are encouraged to extend your thinking and form opinions in such a way that you can back them up.

Regardless of whether the lecturer agrees with you, most assignment marks are gained on your argument and ability to back up your opinion with facts.

I also found the class dynamics to be great - the students were a wide variety of ages (from mature age to straight out of school) but everyone was friendly and supportive. The thing about social work is that often those people who aspire to that career are not quite so quick to judge and form opinions than some other people. Therefore I found it was easy to relax into the course quite soon after starting and quickly made a lot of friends.

One thing I can suggest though, is get as much experience in the field as your possibly can whilst you're at uni. Don't just rely on the work experience aspect of the course.

I can't tell you what working as a social worker is like as I have never really done it (apart from on uni work experience). I graduated in 2008 and have been unable to find a social work job since. I'm not sure if it's Australia wide, or just in certain states, but here employers are basically refusing to employ anyone with less than 12 months full-time paid experience. Even at a lower level - I've looked into youth work/community work etc jobs which only require a Cert/Diploma level qualification and they are the same - wanting so much experience that I don't have and can't get.

I don't want to put a dampener on anyone's dreams, I just thought you should hear my experiences - I would have appreciated hearing some honesty about the profession before I started my degree.

Definatly do it for the course - if you think it will interest you and you are happy to spend four years at uni studying then great - go ahead, you will enjoy it! But just don't focus your entire life (dreams, aspirations etc) on being a social worker, cause if it doesn't happen it's a long way to fall. Best of luck to everyone.

robertmartin

Banned
HSC
N/A
Sociology and psychology are extremely popular majors and very common among unemployed college grads. Most schools have social work as a graduate degree. It is good that you are looking around and getting opinions. Good luck!

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Social work, eh? One of my friends does that. She... likes it overall - she just doesn't like some of the subjects she has to do!

Juliet

HSC
im doing HSC this year, & im really interested in social work too! :) i'm thinking a social worker in the courts atm... or social worker working with adolescents and youth
Hi ajaaayx, i'm a new grad social worker, who loves what she does so therefore i am bias. If you have the passion for it, go for it!! The degree will provide you with the exposure you need to decide if its the right career for you. I have worked with adolescents, as well as in a court setting with children and families. Both are challenging but amazingly rewarding work. Best of luck! :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)