Opinions please (1 Viewer)

DI2AGON

OK here's a few

i just finished doing the sample exam from success one and i disagree with some of the sample answers, for a system which tracks a product using barcodes and it's sole purpose is to provide customers tracking of their 'to be delivered' goods, how arn't the customers participants? they use the website to monitor the progress of their package so arnt they using the information provided by the system?

also just an opinion on how you approach/how much you write on the 6 mark questions involving all the processes... i got full marks for them in the independent trial but it was really time consuming, i find that there is so much to write... any tips?

the questions im referring to are the ones with like: purpose, then the information processes, then technologies, participants.. etc

cheers :D

minicam

MiTcH
HSC
I've been told in another subject but should still apply here that each mark allocated u should average about 5 lines each, so for a 6 mark question at least 30 lines would be adequate, but really depends on how big your writing is since the lines aren't that long.
My opinion for the first question is that the customers would be users not participants - cos they use the data and information from the system but dont change any of the information processes - otherwise if they did then they would become participants.

Last edited:

jesterofenglish

HSC
N/A
participants <> user

DI2AGON said:
a system which tracks a product using barcodes and it's sole purpose is to provide customers tracking of their 'to be delivered' goods, how arn't the customers participants? they use the website to monitor the progress of their package so arnt they using the information provided by the system?
According to my brilliant IPT teacher who abandoned me (and the class), a participant is someone invovled in one of the 7 information processes (collecting, organising, analysing, etc) of the system. So ask yourself:

do the customers influence the system in anyway?

If the answer is no then, there you go. Remember that a participant is not the same as a user. Users are often participants, but not is all cases, this maybe one of them.

saru

What? 30 lines is a page... so you're saying a page for 6 marks??

jesterofenglish

HSC
N/A
revolution anyone?

saru said:
What? 30 lines is a page... so you're saying a page for 6 marks??
I was thinking the same thing! but when you compare it to english you have to write 15-mark essays that go on for at least 5 pages which equates to 3 marks a page. How ridiculous is that!
As a slow writer, I strongly protest. Anyone up for a revolution?

saru

I never thoght of it that way... but the thing is, there are so many questions you have to write pages for that means...

In Ancient History and Legal Studies, I've been told that for 5 marks you only have to write half a page... So we have to write double that in IPT for 1 extra mark...??

Doesn't make sense to me!

minicam

MiTcH
HSC
In the end it doesn't really matter how many lines u write, as long as u got the content in there is all that matters! ive been told 5 lines per mark, others hav been told different!...but when u think about it, for the hsc the lines are so small that u can only fit like 6-7 words per line so 5 lines really isnt that much per mark! But really it depends on the question...cos some 1 mark questions only require one line while others 5 lines...just make sure u've got the content in there and that your answer answers the question!!!!

DI2AGON

ok but here's the thing....

a manager who does not participate in the system at all but uses the system to produce information is regarded as a participant... well that's what my teacher has told me

so i dont see how this is any different... :/

minicam

MiTcH
HSC
The manager is playing a part in the information processes of the system because he is processing data to produce information...hence becoming a participant! The customers on the other hand are still using the data from the system but are not processing it to create information or influencing the system in any way like the manager is, so they are still only users! At least thats what I think, anyone disagree? or agree? lol

Last edited:

Lwaxana

Betazed Ambassador
HSC
N/A
Lets get back to the original question
6 marks was NOT for all the processes
it was for purpose, participants,data/info, IT and 3 processes -
the same format that was in HSC

Marking Criteria (in brief) was
1-2 marks for limited understanding of some
3-4 marks for clear understanding of majority, with an attempt to relate to system
5-6 marks for comprehensive understanding, with understanding of relationship between key components

you get marked for quality NOT quantity

DI2AGON

yes, i very well understand that but when it asks for information technologies there's quite a few which you can name...

i think i've got a grasp of it now... i dont have problems actually answering the question just deciding how to write it in a shortened form, and yeah i can sorta see how the customer isn't a participant but i still think that's a thin line seperating the use of information from the system

i guess another thing that put me off are the sample answers from the success one book... 2.5 pages typed for a 6 mark question, GOODLUCK ON THAT 1!

DI2AGON

ok i've found another question involving the use of information in a system and whether or not those people who use the information are regarded as participants

for a website people viewing the website are regarded as participants of the system... now they're using the system to obtain information so i dont see why a customer viewing a website to monitor their package isnt also regarded as a participant

this is all too confusing! damn ipt!

JayWalker

HSC
DI2AGON said:
ok i've found another question involving the use of information in a system and whether or not those people who use the information are regarded as participants

for a website people viewing the website are regarded as participants of the system... now they're using the system to obtain information so i dont see why a customer viewing a website to monitor their package isnt also regarded as a participant

this is all too confusing! damn ipt!
If a user is using a website and the website is simply the only thing we are talking about, yes, they are participants as they are involved in the collection and transmitting and displaying stages.

If, however, it is referring to the above example, they are useless, they cannot do anything, they are simply involved in the transmitting and displaying of the WEBSITE, which does not alter the whole system...

Lwaxana

Betazed Ambassador
HSC
N/A
This reminds me of the HSC question about people viewing White Pages directory on Internet - search results return contact details of all records that match criteria.
What is the information process carried out by a user of this info system?

Suggested answer was receiving.

Dont know what answer/answers they actually ended giving marks on though...

Seraph

Now You've done it.......
HSC
N/A
Wowza

there were two of those 6 mark Info process questions in 2003

... mustve been a bit tight for time..

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
i wrote 1.5 to 2 pages for a 6 mark question in the HSC last year
i had 30secs to spare which i spent correcting my grammar

Seraph

Now You've done it.......
HSC
N/A
hmm.

do you ppl go over your multiple choice again? , as soon as you have done it ?

thats what i do i spend 25 mins on it max... maybe i should only go through it once and then if i have enough time at the end.....................

iamsickofyear12

HSC
A lot of questions in IPT are stupid. They can have more than one answer and sometimes the answer expected isn't the right one. It doesn't make any sense but you just have to do the best you can with it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)