OPTION: Industrial Chemistry (1 Viewer)

Thank_You

HSC
Guys overall thoughts on Industrial Chemistry

For the choosing for electrolytic i picked the first one, which had products Cl and O gas. I think that was 'X' and it's wrong apparently because industrial is concentrated brine :(
Apparently it's the second one, Y?

HSC
The answer is Y because the anode in all cells are chlorine, therefore ruling out X immediately.
The cathode in a mercury cell is an amalgam, not just Na therefore z is ruled out.
The cathode in y = correct

Thank_You

HSC
^For the equilibrium question, i got like 1.177 M for NOCl :O

The answer is Y because the anode in all cells are chlorine, therefore ruling out X immediately.
The cathode in a mercury cell is an amalgam, not just Na therefore z is ruled out.
I'm so stupid, i've studied this pretty well and yet -.-

photastic

HSC
Why didnt you tell us during the exam? lolol

yes.

Very unique question, never came across one like this
Lol its just a typical question but backwards

IR

HSC
OH BTW GUYS:
if i did ammonia saturator for model:
10 mL of concentrated ammonia solution (30%) was mixed with 10 mL of brine . 10g of ammonium chloride crystals were dissolved into the solution, and then more continuously added in excess till no more dissolved. The clear solution was then decanted into a 250 ml beaker.
How does this not model the industrial process?

IR

HSC
OH BTW GUYS:
if i did ammonia saturator for model:
10 mL of concentrated ammonia solution (30%) was mixed with 10 mL of brine . 10g of ammonium chloride crystals were dissolved into the solution, and then more continuously added in excess till no more dissolved. The clear solution was then decanted into a 250 ml beaker.
How does this not model the industrial process?
I wrote not the same concentration in industrial process with not the same conditions i.e. temperature and pressure. Also wrote that nh3 is added and no ammonium crystals in the industrial process- is this ok for the 3 marks?

zhertec

HSC
I also did cell Y and didn't get to finish the industrial kc one, imma cry now.

IR

HSC
I wrote not the same concentration in industrial process with not the same conditions i.e. temperature and pressure. Also wrote that nh3 is added and no ammonium crystals in the industrial process- is this ok for the 3 marks?
Plz answer.

HSC
N/A
The equilibrium question was something like .175 IIRC. I lost my calculator, so I can't show the working.
NaOH question was cell Y for sure.
2H2O + 2e- --> H2 + 2OH-
2Cl- --> Cl2 + 2e-
Overall: 2H2O + 2NaCl --> H2 + Cl2 + 2NaOH

ushnakhalid

HSC
i would assume so. i had that a higher concentration of ammonia is used in the industrial process but what you wrote is also right

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)