Option: Medical Physics (1 Viewer)

farahodish

HSC
well, what'd you all think?

p.s. DID YOUR HEART NOT STOP AT THE "during your course, you have investigated.. so on and so forth"
I THOUGHT THEY WERE GONNA ASK ABOUT A PRAC OR SOMETHING?!?!??!

TylerAshwell

HSC
yeh was pretty good. wrote out a fair bit. Only one im not sure about is the last question regarding to osteoporosis. What imaging techniques could you use? I said PET and a bone scan?

melbell2046

HSC
i thought the option was really good!the questions wernt cryptic and aslong as you knew what the verb was asking it was fine...though i never can tell how i go in exams though i would like to say...

NO MORE EXAMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Subjects: English advanced, Mathematics, MAths Ext1, physics, chemistry, biology :)

farahodish

HSC
um for the osteoperosis thingo i said cat scans and just an xray on its own?
but it was a good 4 marks as long as we compared it properly

mithril1337

HSC
lol medical was pretty easy.
i used cat scan and x-ray.

O and you cant really use bone scan can you ??

TylerAshwell

HSC
yeh i thought u could have? because osteoporosis is a loss of density in bones caused by a lack of calcium uptake or something. so i thought if a gamma emitting calcium isotope like calcium-47 was used for bone scan, it would locate itself in this region and if a cold spot was identified it would show a lack of calcium uptake and therefore osteoporosis. and the same kind of thing for a pet scan. because i didn't think a normal x ray would be able to show the density of the bone.

Shinigami-Sama

HSC
oh damnit
my class never learnt bone scan lmao
i wrote about PET and CAT scan tho.. kinda side tracked CAT to X-ray
hope i dun lose marks lol

Ozza

HSC
Yeah, the best answer probably would have been bone scan and/or CAT scan or X-rays.

Mostly because acoustic impedance is masured by density etc etc etc.. which means you can calculate your bone density from ultrasounding the heel. This is the best option as you can actually diagnose osteoporosis before it becomes a problem.

Once you see osteoporosis in an X-ray, it's already too late.

ladystar

HSC
*shrug*

You can measure with ultrasound too using the heel bone.. I compared ultrasound and x-rays, hopefully won't get marked down for the fact that that application of ultrasound isn't strictly taking a visual "image" of the bone

Ozza

HSC
Whoops, I did actually mean ultrasound the heel, instead of bone scan.

drynxz

I..solated..ated..ated
HSC
The image on the left: with the brain and some patches was the PET scan, the image on the right with a cross section and a white spot was a CAT scan

Hairey

HSC
hmmm i did ultrasound and PET. didn't reference the pictures though on account of not knowing what type of images they were. actually all i really did for that question was drew a shoddy table lol :eek:

nick1689

HSC
Hairey said:
hmmm i did ultrasound and PET. didn't reference the pictures though on account of not knowing what type of images they were. actually all i really did for that question was drew a shoddy table lol :eek:
Same! But I kinda referred to the images as PET, 'cause they look kinda PET-ish I guess.. Lets hope so.

dimitris6690

HSC
with that osteoporosis question i chose ultrasound and X-rays. I then explained how x-rays are not as effective as they can only detect osteoporosis after 30% of bone density has been lost. So ultasound is the better choice, it works by calculating the speed of the sound through the heel hence the density of the bone can be found and this is compared to known values of a healthy bone

andykillz

HSC
diana.teppo said:
the answer to the osteoperosis question is an ultrasound and x-ray ...i looked it up when i came back home..lol...dont worry farah im sure u did fine in the other sections....u always do!:)
yay i wrote that. I also said that ultrasound consisted of a heel scan which detetected the density of the bone at the heel. However by this stage it was too late blah blah.

farahodish

HSC
:jaw: KHARA BARTHAKH DIANA!!!!!!!!
I was like WHAT THE HELL WHY DOES THIS RANDOM PERSON KNOW ME
till i read your name

LOLLLLLLLLLLL

HIIII!!!

michael.hemans

HSC
i asked my teacher afterwards how the osteoperosis pictures were taken....and he said that they weren't even taken using any of the techniques we had learnt, that they were both taken using microfilm...so board of studies are screwing us around

Last edited:

Hallatia

HSC
medical is the only part of physics I have actually be known to pass and I do quite well in it, topped my class woohoo! When I read the medical part in reading ttime, I flipped, but then when I got to answerring I thought it was okay, I am pretty sure that I had the exact same ultrasound question in my trial

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)