Options for Economics Students (1 Viewer)

Conspirocy

HSC
Okay so I’m thinking today, those people who are studying economics where are you expecting to find work? I’ve got a couple of ideas, most investment banks, some accounting firms, and government agencies. Thing is, I’m guessing most people doing Economics as a major or a degree obviously have some other major that is their main preference. For me that’s accounting. What do you guys think? Also how can u enter a job in economics when you’re not really sure what you will be doing in it? It is just me or are there very little opportunities to get experience while you’re at uni in economics (I haven’t found anything).

turtleface

HSC
I used to think Eco was the biggest waste of time but its actually alright.

There is actually a similar structure to Accounting.

You can start off as Economist and a year later become a Senior Economist in many depts. and consultancies (just like Acc, then Sen Acc in big 4)

Also most financial institutions have economic analysis departments

Also, the chief Economists of banks are really good high paid positions

then theres always the governor of the RBA position as the holy grail (for me at least, if I was doing Eco)

SSaint

shoconomics
HSC
I'm studying Economics at Sydney, with a view to major in Economics and Finance, while keeping the option to do the CA program open at the same time. At the moment I'm considering several options, either at an investment bank, Big4 or at a consultancy - I'm not too interested in working at a government agency, though the RBA is another option.

I think that unless BEc students are aiming to go for graduate accounting (CA/CPA) after three years of study, doing honours is really important in setting them apart from other graduates going for IB/consulting jobs etc. I think to work at the RBA honours is a must, and thats just to be considered for the position. I've never really thought about a career as an economist as such so I haven't really looked at opportunities for current students, but I know the ABS, RBA offer some opportunities, as well as some government bodies, and as turtleface said, these firms/banks have economic analysis departments, so I'd imagine there would be opportunity there as well. In terms of majors to go with economics, I have a friend who is doing joint honours in Economics and Econometrics (at Sydney - he emphasised that econometrics was really important when it came to economics.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I reckon if you can land a good graduate position, I'd take that and then work my way through CA/CPA. After all, once you get CA/CPA; honours in Accounting or whatever doesn't really mean that much.

SSaint

shoconomics
HSC
Not every career path involves CA/CPA seremify...
also honours helps in 'landing' that good graduate position, particularly when you're not doing combined law or a double degree (note that there are other, perhaps more important, reasons for doing honours)

Conspirocy

HSC
I think if your studying econonomics and want to get your money's worth, then honours in it would achieve that.

Then again if you have done an accounting major, I can't see why you wouldnt want to do your CA/CPA.

Think about this, I did Micro 2 at UNSW and there were like what 200 ppl enrolled. So lets say 150 of them are actually majoring in economics/econometrics etc. So then when you look at how many people study honours I think the biggest i saw was 12 ppl taking honours in econonomics, 12/150 people seems very tough. I find it really hard to believe that only 12 people are capable of doing honours, maybe i think everyone is just super smart. I realise some people just dont want to and head into work. But that many?? How hard is it to keep an average of 70 at uni, or is that just uni talk for a minimum and do they only let in people well above this 70 mark for honours?

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
Economics honours is not to be taken lightly from what I've heard. Some take up the honours stream starting 2nd year and just can't cope. My friend is doing it and can barely handle it. I look at her work and cannot even comprehend it. I thought I was good at economics but I'm struggling in the regular stream. I don't know exactly why it's so tough but that's the way it is. I'm truly not surprised that only a literal incredibly talented handful actually complete eco honours.

tlodg

HSC
N/A
SSaint said:
I'm studying Economics at Sydney, with a view to major in Economics and Finance, while keeping the option to do the CA program open at the same time. At the moment I'm considering several options, either at an investment bank, Big4 or at a consultancy - I'm not too interested in working at a government agency, though the RBA is another option.

I think that unless BEc students are aiming to go for graduate accounting (CA/CPA) after three years of study, doing honours is really important in setting them apart from other graduates going for IB/consulting jobs etc. I think to work at the RBA honours is a must, and thats just to be considered for the position. I've never really thought about a career as an economist as such so I haven't really looked at opportunities for current students, but I know the ABS, RBA offer some opportunities, as well as some government bodies, and as turtleface said, these firms/banks have economic analysis departments, so I'd imagine there would be opportunity there as well. In terms of majors to go with economics, I have a friend who is doing joint honours in Economics and Econometrics (at Sydney - he emphasised that econometrics was really important when it came to economics.
Is Econometrics on its own, useful? (job-prospect wise)
and how hard is it to get a job as an economist? is the competition really intense....

tlodg

HSC
N/A
also...
I heard that there's no point studying honours if you can't get 1st class honours..
so maybe that's why it's so hard and so few people are doing it? (provided most of the ppl doing honours are in 1st class)

Is it true, though?

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
what do u mean most people doing honours are in first class?

Honour grades (medal, 1st class, 2nd etc) are awarded at the completion of the thesis and coursework (one or the other or both depending on what you choose).

tlodg

HSC
N/A
Sarah168 said:
what do u mean most people doing honours are in first class?

Honour grades (medal, 1st class, 2nd etc) are awarded at the completion of the thesis and coursework (one or the other or both depending on what you choose).
I meant that....
if people did not get at least 1st class honours (invitation) they would not do honours at all because it wasn't worth it
and I wonder if this is true
since someone mentioned that VERY few people are doing ECON honours

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
tlodg said:
I meant that....
if people did not get at least 1st class honours (invitation) they would not do honours at all because it wasn't worth it
and I wonder if this is true
since someone mentioned that VERY few people are doing ECON honours
A 2i is also good. Honours is very different to under grad, hence the attractiveness to employers :)

tlodg

HSC
N/A
velox said:
A 2i is also good. Honours is very different to under grad, hence the attractiveness to employers :)
what's a 2i?

Left-ism

HSC
To be a professional economist you need to do at least honours.

Last edited:

O2

HSC
Hey guys,,
I'v a question here..
I'm doing a bachelor of commerce/bachelor of economics at monash, and will be majoring in acc/fin and economics or economicterics. Would i be more attractive for a IB (big one) or my friend who also wants an IB job but is doing a single commerce degree majoring in either accounting and finance or finance and economics with an honours in finance with either choice.... Please tell me which is more suitable too(me diong economics or econometrics)...,

THankz guys..

Vagabond

Machine
HSC
I don't think the major matters much... Finance would give you an idea of what you're heading towards I assume.

Then again if you're one of the boat jumpers and have no idea what investment banking is about and are simply choosing it because it pays high then ay.. do your best to get into honours as that would help stand testament to your analytical skills

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)