Optometry questions (1 Viewer)

YHTAC

HSC
[reused] Optometry questions + UMAT Q's

So, i`m interested in optometry, though i have a few unanswered questions. I know that you have to do the umat and you need around a 96+ atar?

Though i was wondering, whats the minimum score you would need for your umat? and is there any sort of interview you have to do, like the medicine one? plus, is it true that if your umat score is too low, then you dont get an interview at all? if thats the case, does that mean no optometry course?

- PLUS which uni's offer optometry? x;

Edit/ what are the courses you can choose from when doing umat? i know medicine, dentistry and optometry are a few. Are there anymroe?

All answers will be appreciated, and thanks in advance! :D

Last edited:

whoisthis

HSC
N/A
afaik there are no interviews for optom

the umat cutoffs are not quite as clear cut as the cutoffs for med/dent and there aren't many optom schools at all so it's hard to say (despite this, it's still considerably easier to get into than med/dent). i don't think the minimum score is high at all. i think low 150's will even be enough (around 50-60%ile).

YHTAC

HSC
afaik there are no interviews for optom

the umat cutoffs are not quite as clear cut as the cutoffs for med/dent and there aren't many optom schools at all so it's hard to say (despite this, it's still considerably easier to get into than med/dent). i don't think the minimum score is high at all. i think low 150's will even be enough (around 50-60%ile).
Thanks for that, i was freaking out about it, thinking there was an interview

Plus, is 50-60%ile ? S: is that like scoring 50/100?

whoisthis

HSC
N/A

haha i'm afraid not. it's a percentile, meaning you're ranked against other people. the UMAT cohort as a whole will be a lot smarter than your HSC cohort. the UMAT test is also VERY different to your average test/exam. i know of many people who got in the high 99's for their ATAR who got UMAT percentiles of less than 50. but don't let that deter you too much, imo a score of 50-60%ile is quite achievable providing you just don't choke on the day.

YHTAC

HSC
haha i'm afraid not. it's a percentile, meaning you're ranked against other people. the UMAT cohort as a whole will be a lot smarter than your HSC cohort. the UMAT test is also VERY different to your average test/exam. i know of many people who got in the high 99's for their ATAR who got UMAT percentiles of less than 50. but don't let that deter you too much, imo a score of 50-60%ile is quite achievable providing you just don't choke on the day.
Thanks for the info ! :) I'm still considering the umat though it does sound so difficult ! D;

mmkardart

Med/Dent Interview Helper
HSC
N/A

Hope this makes sense:

When you do the UMAT, you can achieve a maximum "score" of 100 in each of the three sections, and you will receive a "percentile" which indicates how well you went for each section compared to others.

For example, you might get a score of 75 in section I, and percentile-wise you may be ranked 97% - meaning that your score of 75 was better than 97% of the population of UMAT candidates that sat your exam.

Now when you are talking about "overall score" (which UNSW's website is referring to), this is simply the average of the "scores" (not percentile) of the three sections. Again, for this overall score, there is a percentile score which indicates how you went compared to other partcipants.

For example, if your total for the three sections was 180, then your overall score would be 60 and percentile-wise, you may be 90%.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)