Optometry (1 Viewer)

schnookims

*Premium Princess Member*
HSC
Hi can someone who does optometry at UNSW give me a brief overview of what they think of the course?

Is the subjects in the degree really hard and in depth?

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
Well, a couple of my primary-school friends are doing Optom right now at UNSW, it's really hard to give you a clear overview of what they think of the degree.

But in general, any degree that is registered under the Faculty of Science (Optom Included), you'll need to do some required first-year courses, and doing Optom means that some courses like Chemistry, you're forced to do Higher Chemistry (rather than the alternate easier course of Fundamentals Chem), as well as Higher Maths I believe.

Spon888

HSC
HI does anyone know the number of people getting distinctions/credits/passes? Because I assuming the cohort is 60people for 2nd year onwards and its a pretty close group relative to other courses?

That would probably give me a better indication of the difficulty of the course.

and ps, can you do an honours degree as part of the Bachelor of Science during your 5years of Optom?

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Hi Spon888, it is difficult to answer your first question because the university doesn't release such information under normal circumstances. All I have read is that the highest mark in recent years for B Optom is about 92. Normally an 85+ average is probably one of the highest average in the cohort.

And since you do multiple subjects per semester, we can't really tell you how hard the "degree" is because each subject is different. Some are easy and some are hard. Some award high marks and some award low marks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)