Optometry (1 Viewer)

TooF

I got a UAI 98.2 and I checked last year's cut off was 98.3
There's a possibility of it going up this year and I'm feeling pretty discouraged at the moment. I really want to do it and was expecting at least a 99 for UAI score. Is there any other way of getting in? Meeting with the dean? Getting teachers/school to write a letter for me?
Helpppp!!

ohne

HSC
there is no harm in trying....if you are desperate there is nothing wrong with writing a letter to the dean or doing something else

although don't forget, overall university applications are down by something like 10% this year, so if anything there will be downward presure on UAI scores (this effect will likely be less so on hard-entry courses though)

if optometry is something you are really keen on doing and are worried on missing out you can always go full-fee, if you perform well in first year, with your UAI you will have a good chanceof transfering to a commonwealth supported place

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Options:
1. Get into FEES like what ohne said
2. Do a B Science and transfer after 1 year of uni, with high enough mark of course.

sunny

meh.
HSC
Don't be discouraged - if this is what you want to do just keep it as your first preference anyway. You don't want to put it as your second preference (and get your some other first preference) only to find the cut off might drop.

mm87511

HSC
do u guys think optometry has a good career opportunity?or law/commerce is beta?

Mumma

HSC
Mate with optometry you can start your own little clinic or whatever. Its health care so there always will be demand for good optometrists.

TooF

thanks so much!
I'll probably call the uni office up and ask about fee-paying if i can't get in - will probably get a scholarship from malaysia :)
besides that, there's always the option of doing a science based course in the first year, but apparently when i emailed my teacher, she told me about this student who begged and finally got into a course for which she was 13 UAI points short of. maybe they'd consider students with less than one uai point below cut off? hehe

mm87511

HSC
Mumma said:
Mate with optometry you can start your own little clinic or whatever. Its health care so there always will be demand for good optometrists.
so optometry is beta then...
i am so f**ked up these days//
optometry asks me to stay in sydney where the law/commerce needs me to be in canberra..but at the same time my boy doesnt know which city he will go to..pissed offfff.

mushroom_head

holey moley!
HSC
it was just like a normal offer. i think that there were a few extra places and since her uai wasn't too far off, it was given to her

meLoncoLLie

adores corgis
HSC
like Survivor39 said, transferring is a good option =)

do you have to take UMAT for entry into optometry?

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Prepare to work hard in Optometry. You have to be good in Physics, and chemistry. If you've got a place in optometry, consider physics and chemistry bridging courses if you haven't done HSC chem/phys. :)

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
meLoncoLLie said:
like Survivor39 said, transferring is a good option =)

do you have to take UMAT for entry into optometry?
hello, you do not have to sit for UMAT. If you got into a science course, pick chemistry, and physics, so when you transfer to optometry after 1 year, you won't have to start "all over" again. For example, you won't have to do biology, chem and physics again, but to do the courses that you've missed out for first year optometry, like clinical optometry, optics and the eyes, ocular and visual science; these are the courses ONLY available for B Opt students.

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
hey fruit!!!!!

come and do commerce mmkay? remember i'm ur role model so u gotta follow my footsteps.. that aside, my condolences for not hitting 99+(but dont say i didn't warn u).. hehe did neone get over 99?

TooF

I'm still going to put optometry as my first preference and maybe see how it goes. For those who are doing optometry - any advice? experience? complaints?
I don't want to be diving into something and then regretting it after
And I didn't do HSC physics but I did bio - is that a major disadvantage? or can I catch up with the physics?

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
^Fruit^ said:
I'm still going to put optometry as my first preference and maybe see how it goes. For those who are doing optometry - any advice? experience? complaints?
I don't want to be diving into something and then regretting it after
And I didn't do HSC physics but I did bio - is that a major disadvantage? or can I catch up with the physics?
I can give you advice because First year science are very similar.
In first year, optometry students do:

Biology for optometry
Chemistry for optometry A
Chemistry for optometry B
Physics for optometry
Optics and the Eye 1 and 2
Ocular and Visual science
Clinical optometry
Foundations of Hygiene and Infectious Diseases in optometric practice

So as you can see, it is better if you familiarise yourself with HSC Physics and chemistry. In Chemistry, you need a lot of work in order to get a good mark so I suggest you learn the prelim/HSC yourself or do a bridging course. For physics, do the same. It would be a major disadvantage if you just go in optometry without any knowledge on chem and physics.

Overall, i think the contact hour is about 24 per week.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)