Orientation Day (1 Viewer)

HSC
Worth it? It says meet lecturers, tour campus and bbq lunch... I've done all those things on Open Day. Any difference? Is the 'advice for the first week' good or just general knowledge stuff?

X

xeuyrawp

Worth it? It says meet lecturers, tour campus and bbq lunch... I've done all those things on Open Day. Any difference? Is the 'advice for the first week' good or just general knowledge stuff?
I think it's worth it for sure. But I'm biased.

Since the main part of it will only run from 9-12:30, you mayaswell just go.

HSC
^ It's from 9:00 - 2:30, and I talked to quite a lot of lectures on open day, and went on a whole tour of Macq, and even visited the place privately at a later date. Could you give me a hint as what the advice is like? Tbh...that's all that looks appealing atm...

X

xeuyrawp

^ It's from 9:00 - 2:30,
Nah - as I said, the main part will be 9-12:30ish.

and I talked to quite a lot of lectures on open day, and went on a whole tour of Macq, and even visited the place privately at a later date. Could you give me a hint as what the advice is like? Tbh...that's all that looks appealing atm...
It's really about making friends and getting contacts with other people. The advice you get varies, but to be honest I personally think it's invaluable.

HSC
Wouldn't it be better to start making friends with people in the same lecture as you or...?

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
I've mentored before. The stuff a mentor can tell you/show you can be invaluable, think about it, some of those people like me or pwar have years of experience at MQ. I generally tell students the stuff they don't tell you. Its more than just the tour etc, mentors often give you hints like which places are best for lunch, where the cleanest loos are, when the best time to buy your books are, study hints, good subjects to take, study hints and also help you meet other people in your course.

Last edited:

*rUsTy*

HSC
Well my mentor this week didn't seem to know very much at all :p

xsavagex

HSC
Usually they try put you in a group with othe rpeople doing your course so it's possible they will be in some of your lectures, so at least you'll kind of know someone in your lectures if you do go

HSC
I went today and I personally definitely think it was worth it. It was like 10 bajillion times better than enrolment:p Mentors are pretty friendly and whilst I usually think peer support is a waste of time, I think it helped to have a group of people to talk to doing a vaguely similar course to you. :)

As PuarYuex said, at around 12:30 they finish the main stuff, 'cause after that they have free lunch which may interest you and after that random activities by the time which a lot of people leave.

audioxdoll

HSC
'cause after that they have free lunch which may interest you
A free lunch with the FATTEST sausages in the entire world.

I found it fairly helpful, found the infamous "prostitute" which ive seen in photos haha so yeah definetly worthwhile. But i was given a few inside tips as mentioned above by my mentor and talked to people doing my course. But the more you experience the more you will learn. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)