Othello as an outsider (1 Viewer)

notanerd

HSC
Hi:wave:, I'm trying to explain in my essay that othello is an outsider, but it's not his fault because most of the Venetians think Othello's a pretty top bloke apart from his skin colour. I have some Ideas for a quote I could use, but I really need to put some techniques in my paragraph somewhere; 'Her father lov'd me and oft invited me' that one shows that Othello was well liked amongst the Venetians. If you have any ideas of techniques for that quote or any other quotes I could use please tell me:uhhuh: Any helpful advice would really be appreciated cause I really suck at essays:eek::spin::confused:

lmc

HSC
sorry i dont know the technique, but another you could use is the language- as othello becomes subjected and manipulated by iago his language changes from being the same as everyone else to being like iago's (therefore he becomes an outsider by choice (choosing to believe iago) compared to being an outsider by circumstance (the fact that he was black)
i have no idea if that helps at all but i hope it does!

evnchrist

HSC
i'd say that othello is loved at the start , preferably because he loves himself , he appears very egotistical , when brabantio comes to accuse him of theivary ,othello answers "keep up your bright swords for the dew will rust them" which shows that othello really doesnt think brabantio or the soldiers would harm him because of his stature

and later othello beleives that the Duke loves him so much that his (othellos) service will "out-tongue his complaints" refering to Brabantio

already we kno that Iago "hates the moor" and throughout the play he always refers to othello as the "moor" or "moorship" , which shows his racism and obvious hate toward him ,
the fact that othelllo is black (or of a darker complection) and has a higher postion then he ,Iago, just angers him more.

when othello starts beleiving Desdemona does not love him after hearing Iago's words , he accuses his skin and claims to be "cursed" with it. which exentuates the fact that he beleives hes an outsider

but basically , othellos war history and service in the field is what really impresses the Venetian colony so much , one would ponder how he would have a high position if he were outsider , but then realise it was his war service , and his ability to sweet talk to people with his beautiful imagery and his strength of character .

hope that helps i probably draftted a bit away from the question but you could maybe use some of the ideas in it for your essay

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)