• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Othello rhetorical questions (1 Viewer)

StaceyK293920

HSC
Tomorrow, I have a speech to present to the class about Othello. My speech is completed but I have an extra 30 seconds left to reach the maximum limit of my speech. So with these 30 seconds, I'm thinking about adding rhetorical questions to my speech, to make sure the audience in engaged with my speech. What type of rhetorical questions would engage the audience?

For example, one rhetorical question I'm thinking about adding is:

'But wasn't Othello a noble, romantic soldier?' contrasting the question with his deterioration of his persona to become a weak murderer. Is that a good rhetorical question?

All help and tips are greatly appreciated. At least two rhetorical questions will do. Thanks ;).

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
And I bet you that you will read much slower when you're really doing the speech. You will um and ah a lot more, and that will make up the 30 seconds.

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
Yeah rhetorial questions are good, especially in the beginning when you kind of want something other than the generic 'good morning blah blah mr blah I don't care'. One thing though, how come you have 30 seconds extra? Shouldn't there be so much to write that you have trouble keeping within the time limit?

StaceyK293920

HSC
Continuum said:
Yeah rhetorial questions are good, especially in the beginning when you kind of want something other than the generic 'good morning blah blah mr blah I don't care'. One thing though, how come you have 30 seconds extra? Shouldn't there be so much to write that you have trouble keeping within the time limit?
Thanks for the tip Aerath, but I believe I'm confident enough that I'll speak fluently so the audience can understand succinctly, not say 'umm' 'ermm...-.-' :). I'll probably talk faster because of the nerves, that's why I need to reach the maximum so I'm just below it. Hope that made sense :).

And Continuum, my speech went above the limit by 3 minutes? (6 mins) lol. So I shortened it with my English tutor to 3 minutes and 40 seconds, while the minimum is meant to be 3 minutes and maximum of 4 minutes. I know that I'll speak faster because of nerves and I wish to reach the maximum, so I'm just below the maximum limit. That's why I need rhetorical questions. I've tweaked my speech a bit, but by engaging the audience, that'll score me more marks :D.

So any reccomendations for rhetorical questions?

emma12

HSC
The one you said first is good!
Is there a question or a thesis on Othello, or is the speech just on Othello in general? Because that would help in giving you suggestions for a rhetorical question.

StaceyK293920

HSC
emma12 said:
The one you said first is good!
Is there a question or a thesis on Othello, or is the speech just on Othello in general? Because that would help in giving you suggestions for a rhetorical question.
Question: How has your prescribed text and two pieces of supplementary material shaped your understanding of personal journeys and their meaning in various contexts?

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
I like starting off with a quote of sorts. In my speech, I started off with:
American author, James Baldwin once defined identity as a relationship between experiences and environment etc. etc.

bored of sc

HSC
Maybe try:

> Imagine, having your whole life destroyed by your apparent best friend. Imagine killing your wife for no reason. Imagine, being a black man in a white-superior society. For Othello, this is reality.

> Ever felt angry, jealous, victimised? Welcome to the world of Othello. A black moor in a society riddled with white-superiority, prejudice and racism.

Hmm...

munchiecrunchie

HSC
Some rhetorical questions:

So, how does shakespeare convey this?

And who is the outsider?

I seriously wouldn't suggest making your speech longer, but rather speaking slower and having meainingful pauses. That will gain greater marks than an rushed speech. Just keep practising what you already have, but slower.

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
I think it's a bit too late for her now :). But they are some nice rhetorical questions. I also recommend not adding anything else to your speech. Be happy with it, and keep practicing. One is enough :).

TurkStyle

HSC
omg dude i got the exact same question but its that and a poem we have to write a speech about
same question!

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Razizi said:
I think it's a bit too late for her now :). But they are some nice rhetorical questions. I also recommend not adding anything else to your speech. Be happy with it, and keep practicing. One is enough :).
they might help for sum1 else

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)