Ottawa Charter - priority areas options (1 Viewer)

Rachael325

HSC
For the exam i know we have to be able to apply the ottawa charter to CVD and cancer, but do we have to be able to apply it to all the other options (diabetes, asthma, injuries, mental health). My class did diabetes and asthma as our two other choices but do i have to know injuries and depression as well?

hYperTrOphY

HSC
From what I understand, they can only specifically ask you to write about CVD or cancer.
However, if that is the case, why bother studying the other two priority areas you studied? *confused*

Maybe they can ask you to write about a priority area you have studied other than CVD or cancer..

Rachael325

HSC
thats what i thought too. They cant say 'apply the ottawa charter to depression' cause not everyone's done depression. So yeh i wonder can they say 'apply the ottawa charter to a priority area other than cancer and CVD'. Anyone know? oh and also, with cancer, do u write specifically on lung cancer or skin cancer, or cancer in general? ah so confusing.

Rachael325

HSC
no the syllabus states in the 'teacher note' that: Students need to answer this question in relation to CVD, cancer and two other selected health priorities by using the action areas of the Ottawa Charter as a framework for analysis. Due to the scope of cancer, injuries and mental health as priority areas, the focus for this investigation should be on:
- skin cancer or lung cancer (cancer)
- road and traffic related injuries (injuries)
- depression (mental health)

thats why im confused.
also it doesnt mention here asthma and diabetes, which are the priority areas i have chosen.

xox_eMz_xox

HSC
oh god.. sometimes i wish i didnt pick health..its interesting and i like it.. but i just cant get it all together and get good marks.. should have stuck with a higher scaled subject

xox_eMz_xox

HSC
Rachael325 said:
For the exam i know we have to be able to apply the ottawa charter to CVD and cancer, but do we have to be able to apply it to all the other options (diabetes, asthma, injuries, mental health). My class did diabetes and asthma as our two other choices but do i have to know injuries and depression as well?
theres a past paper that has a question about relating ottawa to depression and road and traffic-related injuries.

What about core 2 can they only ask about a swimmer or a runner?

hYperTrOphY

HSC
xox_eMz_xox said:
theres a past paper that has a question about relating ottawa to depression and road and traffic-related injuries.

What about core 2 can they only ask about a swimmer or a runner?
What if you didn't do depression? How can they ask that!..

sally_33

HSC
Hoepfully this will clear things up for a few people..

By my understanding in past years there have been 5 national health priority areas on the syllabus...

- CVD
- Cancer
- Injuries
- Mental Health
- Diabetes

However, for those who began the year 12 course in 2004, and are sitting the 2005 HSC exam, there have been changes.
See here for the complete link, but the basic thing is that Asthma was added to the syllabus as a NHPA, making 6 NHPAs. The changes in the link are in italics, and mean that we now must only study 4 in depth, that is CVD, cancer and TWO OTHERS OF YOUR OWN CHOICE (out of injuries, mental health, diabetes and asthma). You still need to know WHY all 6 were selected, but for:

- nature
- extent
- risk factors
- social determinants
- groups at risk

you only need to know about 4 (CVD, cancer and TWO others).

Then later on in the syllabus under the key question "What actions are needed to address Australia’s health priorities?" as is stated in that link, we again need to study only 4 NHPAs in relation to the subheadings. If your choice include either injuries or mental health, THIS IS WHERE YOU ONLY NEED TO FOCUS ON ROAD AND TRAFFIC RELATED INJURIES (for injuries) and DEPRESSION (for mental health).

The reason why questions may have specified which NHPA to discuss in past HSCS is because these are new ammendments to the syllabus, and 2005 HSC students are the first year to sit the exam following the ammendments.

Hope this makes sense

SPYKE_JOE

ok...im still a bit confused. so can they ask us specified questions relating the Ottawa Charter to mental, injury, diabetes & asthma?
Can they ask us long responses to the above four mentioned?
yet they can mention these in multiple choice?

Boredatwork

HSC
I've never used one of these thread things before....lets see if I can get it right...

I was googling stuff to get background info for an assignment and came across this. Have you people had your exam on the Ottawa Charter and the National Health Priority Areas yet?

I think that it is not hard to be able to write someone about priority areas, or at least to be able to apply the Ottawa charter and design a program for the NHPA you are discussing, even if you don't know what has previously been done.

What course are you people doing? What University are you at?

Good luck with the exam. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)