Our School... (1 Viewer)

kurt.physics

HSC
N/A
Hello,

I am quite unsure.

Our school uses Maths in Focus for Ext 1 (Prelim and HSC). I am currently learning out of MIF for Ext 1 and also using Pure Mathematics (J.K. Backhouse) and working out of Cambridge (<-- Slowly). I have looked at some past pappers for the quarter yearly and yearly and they look hell easy! Whats going on? Is this a good thing, or a bad thing? My school is a 'normal' school, do you think that there... "syllabus"... for Ext maths is???

I have intentions to do extension 2 maths, under the contitions previously mentioned, it is natural to assume that extension 2 will be literally easier than other people, is this good for me?

jcurry

HSC
kurt.physics said:
Hello,

I am quite unsure.

Our school uses Maths in Focus for Ext 1 (Prelim and HSC). I am currently learning out of MIF for Ext 1 and also using Pure Mathematics (J.K. Backhouse) and working out of Cambridge (<-- Slowly). I have looked at some past pappers for the quarter yearly and yearly and they look hell easy! Whats going on? Is this a good thing, or a bad thing? My school is a 'normal' school, do you think that there... "syllabus"... for Ext maths is???

I have intentions to do extension 2 maths, under the contitions previously mentioned, it is natural to assume that extension 2 will be literally easier than other people, is this good for me?
There syllabus should be the same for every school if thats what your asking.
Looks good at how you're going through three textbooks, how are you finding the cambridge btw

If you want to now where you are really at in terms of the hsc go through some past hsc exams on the subjects that you have covered and see whether it is easy, ok or to hard

Wat do you mean about extension 2 being easier than other people??? do you mean easier than other schools or something??

kurt.physics

HSC
N/A
jcurry said:
how are you finding the cambridge btw
I am finding it alright, im just finishing the first chapter (i got it about 2-3 weeks ago and have been quite buisy with the MIF text). Some questions just stump me because they are hell hard (some of the extension questions), some i must do 2 or 3 times to get the right answer (this is for extensions and the top half of development, not all of them though). The rest is quite easy, just time consuming.

jcurry said:
There syllabus should be the same for every school if thats what your asking.
There syllabus is the same, its just the difficulty is not.

jcurry said:
Wat do you mean about extension 2 being easier than other people??? do you mean easier than other schools or something??
I mean that because the easyiness of ext 1, i presume that they would keep the same 'tempo'.

I was just wondering if the situation im in is good or bad?

jcurry

HSC
Since your school is using the MIF textbook then they are probably doing an easier course than other schools. But you are going home and doing extra work from other textbooks that are harder so you're challenging yourself.

If you're prepared to do the extra work in ext2 like you are in ext1 i dont see it as being a bad thing for you. Even if the textbook for that is easy just go home do other textbooks and whenever you have a problem just ask for some help from your teaches or tutor if you have one.

Undermyskin

Self-delusive
HSC
I did find all my half-yearly exams easy, even for Ex2 maths. I ask many people from other schools and they say half-yearly exams are conventionally quite easy. Only until the trials will we find it much harder. I was quite afraid, too since I don't have as many chances to tackle hard problems under real exam conditions. Anyway, people have similar conditions so you should be OK.

Potential100UAI

HSC
This is unrelated but, how the hell do you get 99.95+ uai with esl english. The max uai you can get with esl english is like < 70 uai, "When you want something so desperately, you die for it...", shouldn't you do that now, to save you the trouble of doing the hsc?

Last edited:

YannY

HSC
for someone with potential 100 uai you dont even know how the uai system works lolz. I personally know someone that did esl and got 99.95 uai.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)