Out of curiosity, do you think coaching actually helps? (1 Viewer)

nerdsforever

hsc zomg
HSC
Just out of curiosity, how many of you think coaching actually helps you improve or do well in your studies?

Me? I think that it works for some people and not others. There are some people I know that have went ever since kindergarten every week until year 12 and they still didn't get a good uai. (a uai in the 60s is what they got and everyone said thats bad for someone that goes to so much tutoring). And there are others that got 100 uais by going tutoring.

Or does it really depend on your tutor?

What do you think? :D

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
I found that 1v1 tutoring helps save time, although it's not really necessary. I'll have 1v1 tution for 4U math. :D Hopefully, I can finnish the course in under 2 terms.

Coaching in a class... it seems not so good, actually rather pointless.
If you want to learn things faster than school, 1v1 tuiton, or self-study is the best way. :D

cwag

adonis
HSC
N/A
personally..i think if the student is willing to put in the effort at home, and askes the teacher about anything they don't understand (my teachers are happy to give up lunchtimes/free periods etc for me) then exterior tuition is not nessesary... i guess, tutors kind of force u do to more work, and explain things to you, and sometimes teach u new stuff...but your teacher is eventually going to cover the entire course and everyting u need to know, and you can always work hard by yourself. personally i have always done fine without tuition.

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
cwag said:
personally..i think if the student is willing to put in the effort at home, and askes the teacher about anything they don't understand (my teachers are happy to give up lunchtimes/free periods etc for me) then exterior tuition is not nessesary... i guess, tutors kind of force u do to more work, and explain things to you, and sometimes teach u new stuff...but your teacher is eventually going to cover the entire course and everyting u need to know, and you can always work hard by yourself. personally i have always done fine without tuition.
If I never received maths tutoring, I probably wouldn't be doing extension maths right now, but extension english instead...

kooltrainer

HSC
Tutoring... its useless if u dun want to get tutored.. ie, its gona waste ur time, ur not gona do the hw etc.
if u really want to get good mark, u'll focus on what ur tutor is teaching you and ur results will improve
this occured to me. When i was like year 8-9, i dun like tutoring and so it never really helped me... now that i started to focus on my tutors work, its really helpful

cwag

adonis
HSC
N/A
Razizi said:
If I never received maths tutoring, I probably wouldn't be doing extension maths right now, but extension english instead...
but razizi.....whos to say that if u work harder..and did more work, and went to ur teacher for help that u wouldn't be in the same position. i dunno...im not dissing u nor am i saying that u didn't try, i just have a different opinion.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
cwag said:
That's what I and my friend do. We are the top in our accelerated courses where we are basically competing with everyone who are one year above us. We don't need tutor for anything. Anyone who has approach to a subject where they go, "I don't have tutoring so I am screwed", should not have done that subject in the first place. That is purely my point of view by the way.

Why do subjects that far exceed your own abilities? Anyone will be screwed over that. Tutoring may help but the contribution it makes is minimum (at least for me).

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
cwag said:
i guess, tutors kind of force u do to more work, and explain things to you, and sometimes teach u new stuff...
My math tutor makes me do no work at all. I ask him to explain something to me, he explains it and when I go home, I have to decide myself what i'm going to do, and how much to do.

cwag

adonis
HSC
N/A
foram said:
My math tutor makes me do no work at all. I ask him to explain something to me, he explains it and when I go home, I have to decide myself what i'm going to do, and how much to do.
doesn't sound like a v gr8 tutor

selablad

HSC
I think that tutoring is best if you are there to improve your learning and because you genuinely want to do better. So if you are motivated to learn there then you will achieve great things, but if you just mess around you won't.
I've never had tutoring and I've done alright for myself, I actually don't know many people IRL who've had tutoring so I can't really give a good answer, but still.

foram said:
Coaching in a class... it seems not so good, actually rather pointless.
If you want to learn things faster than school, 1v1 tuiton, or self-study is the best way. :D
mmm, the main reason people learn faster out of school is because they are tailoring their studies to their own personal needs, so going to a tutoring class would be just like going to school, wouldn't it? Obviously though if the class is a special one for smart people to go to, that's different, but still, I agree with foram that doing it on your own is the best option.

I'd go for self-study over 1v1 tuition myself, it's served me well over the years :) and it means you are learning for yourself not anyone else. But if a tutor helped you learn the work, that's alright I suppose, but a good textbook + a teacher you can go to if you need help > tutoring in most cases, I think.

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
cwag said:
doesn't sound like a v gr8 tutor
Not really. I think my tutor knows that some people can learn something well by doing 10 questions, while other people need to practice 100 questions just to grasp simple concepts. Different people need different amounts of work. Theres no point overloading me with work which becomes redundant, or giving me too little work which could food me into thinking I know something when I really dont.

Also, because i'm the kind of person who doesn't start his assignments untill the last day, my availability of study time fluctuates too much for consistant amounts of work.

I know how much work I need to do in order to get gr8 marks, because different schools have different difficulty standards for their tests. So I can balance work and play. :D I love anime.

cwag

adonis
HSC
N/A
foram said:
Not really. I think my tutor knows that some people can learn something well by doing 10 questions, while other people need to practice 100 questions just to grasp simple concepts. Different people need different amounts of work. Theres no point overloading me with work which becomes redundant, or giving me too little work which could food me into thinking I know something when I really dont.

Also, because i'm the kind of person who doesn't start his assignments untill the last day, my availability of study time fluctuates too much for consistant amounts of work.

I know how much work I need to do in order to get gr8 marks, because different schools have different difficulty standards for their tests. So I can balance work and play. :D I love anime.
im very interested to see how u go in hsc foram...

selablad

HSC
foram said:
Having a bad teacher can actually be pretty good, your maths tutor sounds a bit like my physics teacher. But if you have to decide yourself what to do, then it is better in a way than just doing random exercises, because you have to "Take Control of Your Own Learning" and decide what you will get the most value out of. Of course you have to be motivated in the first place, but that doesn't sound like a problem in this case :rolleyes:

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
selablad said:
I'd go for self-study over 1v1 tuition myself, it's served me well over the years :) and it means you are learning for yourself not anyone else. But if a tutor helped you learn the work, that's alright I suppose, but a good textbook + a teacher you can go to if you need help > tutoring in most cases, I think.
Haha, I envy people with teachers that help them with math outside what they're doing in class.

My teacher last year refused to answer any question that didn't relate directly to the topic she did in class. I asked her how to differentiate x^x, she just got angry at me, even though I knew logs and exponentials, she refused to tell me. Thats the only reason I got a 1v1 tutor, so I have somebody to explain stuff to me if i didn't understand. :D

If your teacher helps you, a tutor isn't going to do much extra. :D

kooliskool

HSC
The help you get from tutoring actually depends a lot on school teachers. If your school teacher is competent enough, they will explain everything and you won't need any assistance outside of class, but unfortunately not all schools have good teachers, and most (in my experience) teachers are either lazy or are not up to the job because even some hard questions they cannot answer themselves, despite the fact that they have been teaching for many years, and that's where outside tutors comes in, to help you get knowledge that you will, or maybe miss in class.

Also if the teachers are smart themselves, but not able to explain the concepts in a simple manner that everyone in the class is able to understand, that's where a second teacher/tutor is needed, and the question about learning in classes or 1 on 1 depends on the level of attention needed by the student to grasp the concepts.

Another side to the question is whether the student is commited to work, if the student does not concentrate in class, even if the teacher or tutor is great in teaching and smart, you won't get any out of it because you didn't get 100% of what is said by the teacher/tutor, and of course, if teachers repeat the stuff often, twice or three times, which helps student to grasp it, but if students concentrate enough and got it in the first time, then no need for any second time or going home to revise.

Personally, I don't think "abilities" of students affect the students that much in learning, if you know enough, we humans are 99% similar in DNA, what makes us so different in the so-called "abilities"? Does only 1% makes such a big difference?

What makes the real difference is the amount of effort the student puts into the course, and the foundations the student laid in the basics, which also relates to the effort the student made in beginning years.

Why did I say so? Well, if the student didn't grasp the basics so well, then of course they will struggle with getting the later on topics because it derives from the basics, and since classes flows on and on, if the student builds up all the points they didn't understand, that's what causes the different standards in the class.

So what a 1 on 1 tutor can do in this case is to revise over the basics and links all the links between the basic stuff and the advance and that is the only method to raise a student's mark, under the assumption that the student is willing to learn about it.

Hope that answers the question.

kony

HSC
It depends on who you are.

If you are the competent student who knows what to do to succeed, then tutoring will only be a hindrance. I find that this is true even if you are not what we would consider a "genius". This is evidenced by a large number of people with UAIs near 100 who have not always been the best, but have an excellent study routine, and the motivation.

If you are competent but lazy, I think tutoring helps you learn. Partially, this is because you spend money on tutoring, and to most people, we would hate to think we're wasting money. So we do end up doing some of the homework.

If you are incompetent, not intelligent, and lazy .. well, there's not a lot tutoring can do. It may already be too late if you discover this in year 12. A good idea would be to do extra study in junior school. But we know this is too much to ask for the most diligent of us.

yer8899

HSC
i think that tutoring wouldn't help a great deal.
i don't really know what you do at tutoring but i think it would be something like this:
- tutor teaches you on the subject (which your teacher already does)
- tutor helps you with anything you don't understand on the subject (which your teacher can do, for free)
- tutor gives you exam questions (which you could easily do at home, for free)
- tutor gives you study or examination tips (which a Google search can do, for free)

so your pretty much forking out $20-$40 to get this.
plus, its inconvenient because:
- your getting taught outside of school
- you have to travel (if your getting home tuition, your probably forking out an extra $20)

in my opinion, a pretty worthless exercise.

kooliskool

HSC
yer8899 said:
i think that tutoring wouldn't help a great deal.
i don't really know what you do at tutoring but i think it would be something like this:
- tutor teaches you on the subject (which your teacher already does)
- tutor helps you with anything you don't understand on the subject (which your teacher can do, for free)
- tutor gives you exam questions (which you could easily do at home, for free)
- tutor gives you study or examination tips (which a Google search can do, for free)

so your pretty much forking out $20-$40 to get this.
plus, its inconvenient because:
- your getting taught outside of school
- you have to travel (if your getting home tuition, your probably forking out an extra $20)

in my opinion, a pretty worthless exercise.
I disagree, partly because I'm doing private tutoring, but also I went to tutoring outside school and it helps me a lot.

As I have said in the previous reply, some school teachers aren't going to do the stuff you have listed there, either lazy or they are not able to do it in terms of their own standards in teaching, and that's why outside tuition is needed, to fill in the role the teachers should do in class.

But of course, maybe for you, you are lucky because your teacher do all those stuff, but from what I know, most teachers don't, and that's why I have a second opinion to the demand of rise of wage for teachers, since they don't do any work, why should they get pay rise?

kooliskool

HSC
kony said:
It depends on who you are.

If you are the competent student who knows what to do to succeed, then tutoring will only be a hindrance. I find that this is true even if you are not what we would consider a "genius". This is evidenced by a large number of people with UAIs near 100 who have not always been the best, but have an excellent study routine, and the motivation.
I partly agree, depends on what tuition you get, if your tutor can do better than what you think can lead to succeed, it may also help, but if the tutor isn't as competent as you, then ya, it may be a hindrance.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)