outlining experiments (chem + bio) (1 Viewer)

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
for chem and bio specifically, when you're asked to outline an experiment you did to achieve _____, do you have to do it as a step-wise procedure or can you just write '5mL of 1.0M HCl was used to...' (in third person passive??) asking the same for 'designing an experiment', what's the difference between that and 'outline an investigation' in terms of how you present it?

and for designing an experiment, do i need to include all aspects of experimental design (ie. variables, aim and hypothesis, conclusion, etc)?

Bob99

temporarylol hater
HSC
for chem and bio specifically, when you're asked to outline an experiment you did to achieve _____, do you have to do it as a step-wise procedure or can you just write '5mL of 1.0M HCl was used to...' (in third person passive??) asking the same for 'designing an experiment', what's the difference between that and 'outline an investigation' in terms of how you present it?

and for designing an experiment, do i need to include all aspects of experimental design (ie. variables, aim and hypothesis, conclusion, etc)?
For your first question, to outline an experiment you simply give an overview of what you did, for example:

If a question asks you to outline an experiment for combustion, you can write:

"... conducted an experiment to find the enthalpy of combustion of various alcohols... the difference between the initial and final tempereature of water was measured... used the enthalpy equation to find the enthalpy of combustion of various alcohols...."
tbh as long as you clearly state what experiment you did, how you did it, and all the important variables, you will get the marks. I had to write about esterification which took a long time.

for your second question, yes you must include all aspects of the experiment to ensure you maximise your marks. You must also include a results table (I learnt that the hard way).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)