Overall WAM (1 Viewer)

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
Hey does anyone know how they calculate the overall WAM for our transcripts?

I've just realised that the overall isn't really the average. One semester my Term WAM was 60 and the next was 89. When you average them out, its not 70, rather its about 65.222. How come?!? XD

Wonder if its a mistake...

gman03

HSC
What about the other semesters? you've been here more than a year already.... :)

Chris.

HSC
also..incomplete subjects like this upcoming semester are included and are totalled as zero when working out the average. thats why it might be lower.

Vylen

HSC
If it was an average, then it'd be called AM... average mark...

WAM is weighted average mark... depending on the courses you do and how they're leveled, that affects your WAM

drmix

HSC
N/A
i meant his courses...thats probably y its not just an average but rather a weighted average depending on the number of credit its worth

Iruka

HSC
N/A
Your formal transcript doesn't seem to have a WAM on it - just the subjects you did and the marks recieved.

Anyway, the uni WAM is calculated by multiplying each subject mark by its UOC, adding them all together and then dividing by the total number of units studied that semester.

Many faculties (e.g., engineering) have their own formulas that they use for calculating honours and stuff like that which are different from the uni WAM, but I don't think science does this.

Rekkusu

HSC
Hm you're right about me being here more than a year. But it still doesn't seem to add up right.

Well my term WAMS were 60ish, 60ish, 75ish, 79, 90ish. The WAM that's located at the bottom of the Academic Transcript (the online one in MyUNSW, not the printed certified Transcripts) then states I've got a 69ish WAM.

I don't know sounds confusing! I thought the the final WAM was say an average of all my Term WAMS but obviously it isn't. Rather it seems to be rise real slowly, even if I had a hd average for last semester.

What Chris said does make sense, I suppose if the remaining semester were given 0 it may impact upon the final WAM (as of now).

Yup Iruka, you're right, the real certified transcript only has the grades + marks, but no Final WAM.

The only reason I'm concerned is because I'm not sure whether this "Final WAM" will be the one that determines whether you get into Hons or not.

Keep the advice flowiiiing in! :karate: Thanks everyone for the replies!

Iruka

HSC
N/A
The overall WAM is determined by applying that formula I wrote earlier to all your results - not just the ones from the most recent semester.

Have you overloaded or underloaded UOC at all? Or taken courses over the summer session? Otherwise, if you've taken 24 UOC every semester, then just averaging them *should* give your overall WAM.

As far as getting into honours is concerned, it may vary from faculty to faculty. Many of the faculties pay more attention to results in later years and of course, results in related courses.

Rekkusu

HSC
Yup I underloaded in first year. But I've now overloaded enough. So for 2 years at Uni, that's equivalent to 96 UOC and that's how much I've done.

I tried adding all my Term WAMs together, then dividing it by the total UOC. And that gave me 3 which obviously is wrong haha. Ok I better drop by student central. Emails with Student central sometimes get ignored.

gman03

HSC
Rekkusu said:
Yup I underloaded in first year. But I've now overloaded enough. So for 2 years at Uni, that's equivalent to 96 UOC and that's how much I've done.

I tried adding all my Term WAMs together, then dividing it by the total UOC. And that gave me 3 which obviously is wrong haha. Ok I better drop by student central. Emails with Student central sometimes get ignored.
you need to multiply each of your term wam with your term UOC before divide it by the toal UOC

Rekkusu

HSC
Thanks Gman you're the man!! It finally worked out, ah now I know.

Weird though I never knew that if you did bad in first year, it'd pull down my final wam this badly!

Ah shit, its because of my damn first or second semester. Damn Chemistry...

God this is system is strange, if I simulated a 75 term wam for my coming semester, my overall wam would only rise about 1 mark wtf! :mad:

Good thing this isnt going to appear in the actual transcript.

P.s. Hey Gman are you also registered in that other forum paging something?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)