Overloading Question (1 Viewer)

PinkKiller

HSC
N/A
Hi

I'm in first year and not sure how this 'overloading' works..does it mean i have to go to somebody to apply for an overload and who would i go to? Do you think they'll let me overload 3uoc for a failed subject next semester? (cos im pretty sure i will)

Thanks in advance

sunny

meh.
HSC
You should see your school about overloading, if you've failed a subject they're unlikely to let you overload.

J0n

N/A
HSC
What? Oh no - that is very bad news. I was hoping to overload the subject I failed. If I can't - that is not good...

gman03

HSC
J0n said:
What? Oh no - that is very bad news. I was hoping to overload the subject I failed. If I can't - that is not good...
Overloading with a fail subject is highly unlikely... you can't even handle 24uoc they would think, what's the odd for 27uoc :)

InfiniteQ

Solitary
HSC
Perhaps it varies according to faculties but under Commerce faculty you can only overload in your final year & you have to have passed all your subjects to be allowed to overload.

ohne

HSC
You are allowed to do up to 27 uoc without special approval aren't you?

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
chance of you overloading given you have failed a course is next to zero
if you go ask them, they will recomend you do less uoc rather than more

ace

is retired
HSC
InfiniteQ said:
Varies /w faculty.
No it doesn't.

It's on myunsw somewhere, 27uoc without approval is okay. (Not sure if failing a subject or anything changes that though). Just load the courses in, let see them stop you. :)

However to overload to 30UOC, permission is needed by your faculty.

Overload to 36UOC, now that is like you have to beg your faculty to let you do that, and if you even want to think of that, you'll need at least 75wam before they even look at you. (Just saying in a general sense).

InfiniteQ

Solitary
HSC
ace said:
No it doesn't.

It's on myunsw somewhere, 27uoc without approval is okay. (Not sure if failing a subject or anything changes that though). Just load the courses in, let see them stop you. :)

However to overload to 30UOC, permission is needed by your faculty.

Overload to 36UOC, now that is like you have to beg your faculty to let you do that, and if you even want to think of that, you'll need at least 75wam before they even look at you. (Just saying in a general sense).
Doing 30UOC is not considered overloading in an Engineering course. Correct me if I'm wrong there.

ace

is retired
HSC
InfiniteQ said:
Doing 30UOC is not considered overloading in an Engineering course. Correct me if I'm wrong there.
I can partly correct you wrong there. In the CSE school (which is part of engineering), anything over 24uoc is considering overloading, however 27uoc no approval by the faculty is needed, since its allowed by anyone to do in the entire uni.

30uoc, permission is needed from the school. I doubt it would be that hard to obtain.

36uoc, permission is needed and a 75wam is required also.

That's cse though (referring to the 30/36 uoc parts).

Can't say anything for the other engineering parts.

InfiniteQ

Solitary
HSC
ace said:
I can partly correct you wrong there. In the CSE school (which is part of engineering), anything over 24uoc is considering overloading, however 27uoc no approval by the faculty is needed, since its allowed by anyone to do in the entire uni.

30uoc, permission is needed from the school. I doubt it would be that hard to obtain.

36uoc, permission is needed and a 75wam is required also.

That's cse though (referring to the 30/36 uoc parts).

Can't say anything for the other engineering parts.
Coolies. Could've sworn a friend of mine doing mechatronic engineering said she was doing 32 uoc or something (this was her first year too)

You're right, I don't think it is hard to obtain permission for 30uoc assuming you've passed everything so far.

PinkKiller

HSC
N/A
ace said:
... however 27uoc no approval by the faculty is needed, since its allowed by anyone to do in the entire uni...
really? because i tried to enrol for 27uoc on myusw and it says maximum load exceeded.

I asked the science student office yesterday and they said that first years aren't allowed to overload :( now i dont know what to do with my failed course because its not offered in summer session.

ace

is retired
HSC
PinkKiller said:
really? because i tried to enrol for 27uoc on myusw and it says maximum load exceeded.

I asked the science student office yesterday and they said that first years aren't allowed to overload :( now i dont know what to do with my failed course because its not offered in summer session.
Oh yeah i remember about that. There is a special "thing" about first years so to speak.

Before you could overload whatever. (I know someone who did 36uoc in first year, first session, that's not allowed now). But they changed the rules.

You can only overload (that 27 thing i was talking about), after your first set of results. Since overloading is somewhat based on results. Since there is nothing to gauge your performance in first year, first session, then it won't let you overload.

Yeah, i just assumed everything knew that :)

If your trying to enrol for 2nd session though of 1st yr, and it doesn't let you go to 27uoc, then talk to the faculty your in and yeah, they shouldn't reject ya (well im assuming you didn't fail stuff of course) (Failing stuff always changes the way things work for you)

And yeah, I know people who have done 27uoc without permission in first yr 2nd session (without previously failing anything) and they didn't need permission. (Under the current rules)

-my two cents

Last edited:

I Robot

HSC
Just a small query, suppose a typical BCom degree requires 144UOC, and you overload within the 3 years say 6UOC;

Then, you have 150UOC...is that permitted, and I presume we have to pay for the extra 6UOC you have done?

Also, on your degree testamur then, do they not recognise the extra 6UOC you have obtained?

InfiniteQ

Solitary
HSC
I said:
Just a small query, suppose a typical BCom degree requires 144UOC, and you overload within the 3 years say 6UOC;

Then, you have 150UOC...is that permitted, and I presume we have to pay for the extra 6UOC you have done?

Also, on your degree testamur then, do they not recognise the extra 6UOC you have obtained?
It's permitted of course. I unfortunately payed & did a 3uoc subj that I didn't even have to do. They said it stays on your transcript & of course you end up paying for it.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
InfiniteQ said:
It's permitted of course. I unfortunately payed & did a 3uoc subj that I didn't even have to do. They said it stays on your transcript & of course you end up paying for it.
Do that extra UOC count towards your WAM or is the WAM calculate 144 UOC worth only?

ace

is retired
HSC
InfiniteQ said:
Something of interest to me (and others), did you pay at the HECS rate or FULL FEE rate for that extra course?

InfiniteQ

Solitary
HSC
Survivor39 said:
Do that extra UOC count towards your WAM or is the WAM calculate 144 UOC worth only?
It counts towards your WAM unfortunately. So try hard!!

InfiniteQ

Solitary
HSC
ace said:
Something of interest to me (and others), did you pay at the HECS rate or FULL FEE rate for that extra course?
Full fee... I don't even know how hecs works. I've paid full fee for the past three semesters.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)